Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What's the biggest you've ever seen?

(131 Posts)
H1954 Tue 10-Sep-19 10:41:30

Sitting enjoying my morning tea and I heard a strange rustling sound. Thinking it may be a creature in the garden border, which is almost directly under the window, I cautiously moved to take a look. Nothing in the garden but the sound was being made by THE BIGGEST SPIDER I've ever seen as it scurried up the blackout lining on the curtains! It was huge, had knobbly knees, goggly eyes and was wearing clogs! ?

Auntieflo Tue 10-Sep-19 19:36:59

MissA, in answer to your question, I think it's for him/her to wave to us as she gaily goes about her business.?

MissAdventure Tue 10-Sep-19 19:39:12

grin
You're mean.. I know I'm a wimp. grin

Farmor15 Tue 10-Sep-19 20:11:47

Dave Allen on spider in the bath:
www.facebook.com/103858572998400/videos/2148467371945588/

sassenach512 Tue 10-Sep-19 21:01:02

I'd been having a lovely leisurely bath, reading my book and sipping a chilled glass of wine. As I got out and the water drained away, the most enormous spider floated by and disappeared down the plug hole. I can only think it must have been hiding behind the bath pillow I use and slipped in with me shock
I invested in one of those boxes on a stick with a sliding door to catch the little burgers, I haven't the heart to squish them (live and let live and all that), even though I'm scared to death of them but I never want to share my bath with one again!

Willow500 Tue 10-Sep-19 22:10:34

Some years ago our previous neighbour was heard to shout 'John - MASSIVE spider'!! Since then they've all been called John grin I don't like them but don't kill them and also have one of the long handled trapdoor catchers so they get removed and deposited outside.

Wasps on the other hand I'm terrified of! At the beginning of the summer I had to go into the loft for something. As soon as I put my head through the hatch I heard buzzing and saw something flying at the other side of the loft. I was out that hatch and had the ladder back up so fast I nearly fell down the stairs and told my husband I was sure we must have a nest up there so wouldn't be going back. Last week we needed something out of there so I made him go - shut all the bedroom doors and opened the front door just in case and stood prepared for flight as he gingerly pushed the hatch up. Nothing materialised thank goodness but I'm still not convinced so the C********s tree might be a bit sparse this year unless someone else goes up there to get the decorations down shock

MissAdventure Tue 10-Sep-19 22:12:39

Oh I just watched a video on that Facebook link.

Some gigantic, awful spiders!

harrigran Tue 10-Sep-19 22:32:20

I was watching TV one night and I caught sight of something black out of the corner of my eye, when I turned it was a ginormous spider sitting on the sofa cushion beside me. I leapt into the air and shot across the room, DH got the sucky up thing but the spider was too big to go in ?

Hetty58 Tue 10-Sep-19 23:29:59

A lady at work knitted us all 'spider ladders' for our baths. I said 'Thanks' but gave it to a friend as I have no problem catching them to take outside. It's wasps that terrify me!

agnurse Wed 11-Sep-19 00:30:07

In response to a PP - not all spiders spin webs. There are species that don't. In Brazil, where some spiders are venomous, we were told that as a general rule, spiders that spin webs aren't toxic to humans. They don't need venom as the web does the work. Spiders that don't spin webs tend to be venomous, as that's their main weapon against prey. (For example, the Brazilian wandering spider is very venomous, and I don't think they spin webs. There are exceptions to this rule, though - Australia has a species called the Sydney funnel web, which spins a web but is one of the deadliest extant spider species due to its venom.)

Hubby deals with the spiders in our house, but they are usually pretty small. I think Alberta does occasionally have some venomous spiders, most commonly the black widow, but they aren't very common. Our cats are pretty good at dispatching most household pests. Hubby once said to me, "Jayda has found a spider. I think she's going to eat it." (Struck me as funny, just the way he said it. I'm not sure why.) My kid once brought Gatsby into the bathroom to dispatch a small moth, which he proceeded to do and apparently enjoyed eating.

BradfordLass72 Wed 11-Sep-19 04:45:48

Our largest spider has an outstretched leg length, toe to toe of about 8 inches.
Delena cancerides, also known as the Avondale Spider, even has a celebratory sculpture in Avondale itself.

Davida1968 Wed 11-Sep-19 09:06:46

Compared with some countries our spiders are nothing to worry about! There's one that lives in our en-suite and I call it Boris. (Not named after the PM - it's named for the Who song: "Boris the Spider".) I admit to putting larger spiders outside , but I can live with smaller ones in the house. I would never, ever, kill a spider in the UK; overseas might be different!

sallyc06 Wed 11-Sep-19 10:25:49

There was one so big in the bedroom, I don't know how he went up the vacuum!!

BusterTank Wed 11-Sep-19 10:36:09

I live in the country and we have had some whopper this year . We call them all Boris . When they hit floor they make a right thud , my husband says they are wearing clobb hammer boots . I have mutual agree with the one who lives in my chicken feed bin . I leave him alone and he leaves me alone .

SuzyWoo1957 Wed 11-Sep-19 10:39:06

Try putting conkers on your shelves and in the corners. Spiders ? don’t like conkers

Theoddbird Wed 11-Sep-19 10:39:16

Sounds like a harvest spider. Harmless and simple to catch with a glass over card under.

Nannan2 Wed 11-Sep-19 10:40:56

My 4 sons all dislike spiders.(must be a man- thing maybe?) At least eldest catches them but other 3 (30,20,16) all have someone else go get 'em! And no,i have no softy qualms about killing em!grin Still make me shriek in alarm if they pop up right next to me though.shock

jaylucy Wed 11-Sep-19 10:44:18

We used to have a huge one that used to run across our lounge floor at 10.30 pm every evening. We called him Cyril. I found his remains a while ago when I moved the sofa to vacuum.
The biggest I have ever seen was when I lived in Oz and the Huntsman spiders used to come in the house.
Went to check on my baby son in the early hours and there was tis ginormous spider on the ceiling above the cot. Moved bub into my bed and got the vacuum out - this thing was so big, it barely fit down the pipe and it hung on to stop itself going down the hose! I turn the hose round and put it so it was sucking the floor , and I swear I heard the creature bumping its way along the hose!
Moved the vacuum , which was bagless, out to the back door by the laundry and poked the end of the hose out through a corner of the screen door so if it was still alive, could go out of the house! Made OH empty vacuum the next day that was luckily the day the garbos came round!

polnan Wed 11-Sep-19 10:45:30

oh gosh, haven`t read all the posts here,, I soooooo shudder at spiders, I am trying to overcome this.. I can usually sense if one is in the room with me...

I do conkers, think it works,, need some new conkers.... ugh!
even seeing photos/pictures of them,, I just do not look at them

clogs on spiders? ARGH!!! I`ve gone

annsixty Wed 11-Sep-19 10:45:52

Very Sceptical about the conkers but we had a caravan in N Wales and we had lots, particularly in the boiler cupboard.
I gathered lots of fresh conkers and put them on every windowsill and lots around the boiler, it worked but I think they need to be fresh.

jaylucy Wed 11-Sep-19 10:47:24

Oh, and I used to get home from nights out in the early hours , throw back the bedclothes to get in the bed, to find my sister had very kindly put a spider in my bed, hiding under an upside down cup !!!

marpau Wed 11-Sep-19 10:49:15

We have some very large ones here in the Scottish borders all are called Boris. I tend to leave them alone but do remove any nests.

Nannan2 Wed 11-Sep-19 10:52:32

Also ditto maggiemaybe.lol.

Nannan2 Wed 11-Sep-19 10:53:22

Never heard of the conkers thing!

sophieschoice Wed 11-Sep-19 10:57:40

My mum was told by her mum "If you want to live and thrive let a spider run alive"
I always stuck to this, but they are very big this year,ugh!!!!

olliebeak Wed 11-Sep-19 10:58:48

Davida1968 and BusterTank - we're another household where there's a Boris who lives quite happily alongside us ........... and Yes! other half is a Who fan wink. www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWpz2OYf1QU