Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Alpaca gloves and socks?

(15 Posts)
Melbourne1992 Sat 28-Sep-19 18:50:40

Thank-you for all your suggestions. I'm glad I found out about the silver gloves hurting as my fingers are very swollen. I think I will try some alpaca gloves and see how I get on in the winter

Blinko Sat 28-Sep-19 16:47:02

Turtle Doves, a Shropshire firm, recycles cashmere. their handwarmers, scarves and jackets are great.

Flossieturner Sat 28-Sep-19 16:41:34

I find the Reynauds gloves very good.

midgey Sat 28-Sep-19 15:48:21

The Raynauds charity sell those silver gloves but if you have any joint issues they hurt!

BlueBelle Sat 28-Sep-19 14:04:13

I ve had possum gloves and scarf from NZ and I ve used hand warmers in my gloves
I want to get my daughter some silver ones for reynauds do you think they are best for that?

Whitewavemark2 Sat 28-Sep-19 13:33:24

PS as well as gloves I have socks and scarves. One of my alpaca scarves I hand knitted and is so warm I only wear it when it is bitterly cold.

So not at all last winter

Whitewavemark2 Sat 28-Sep-19 13:31:17

I have alpaca and cashmere gloves and both really warm. Long lasting as well.

Hand warmers do sound a good idea but clearly no good with gloves.

SueDonim Sat 28-Sep-19 12:41:14

Oh goodness, that's quite an issue then, Melbourne92. sad. Maybe taking the dogs out for shorter but more frequent runs would stop your hands getting quite so cold?

midgey Sat 28-Sep-19 12:18:12

Have just checked on Amazon, there are a fair few available. Check out electric hand warmers.

midgey Sat 28-Sep-19 12:16:39

Melbourne those gloves don’t help if you have swollen joints, as you say they just hurt. My daughter gave me some Hotrox. They are amazing! You charge them before you leave home, only turn them on when you need them. They provide a gentle warmth that just keep your hands warm inside your mittens. Not possible to use with gloves though! (Obviously!)

Melbourne1992 Sat 28-Sep-19 12:16:06

Haha yes I've worn every variation there is lol. Even had 3 pairs of gloves plus those little hand warmers. They are good but don't stay hot for long!

SueDonim Sat 28-Sep-19 12:10:43

That sound so painful. sad Have you tried wearing two pair socks of gloves, a thin pair then a thicker pair?

Melbourne1992 Sat 28-Sep-19 10:38:08

Thank you, I will have another look at them. I looked at them last year but thought they might not be that warm. Are they like compression gloves? I tried them before but took them back because they made my fingers hurt even more.

Flossieturner Sat 28-Sep-19 10:08:42

I can’t comment on these but I bought silver gloves and they are amazing. I wear them indoors and under by gloves

Melbourne1992 Sat 28-Sep-19 09:35:26

A bit of a strange question, but has anyone bought alpaca socks or gloves? I have arthritis in my hands and when I'm walking my dogs in the winter I am actually close to tears with the pain. I just wondered if they really are as warm as they are advertised? They seem very expensive so I don't want to waste my money. Has anyone got any recommendations for warm gloves and socks!