Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Help! Slugs! Food waste caddy!

(13 Posts)
Drum1234 Sat 05-Oct-19 08:19:25

I wrap waste food in newspaper before putting it on the caddy outside. Better than the compostable bags which apparently take ages to decompose.

kircubbin2000 Sat 05-Oct-19 08:14:53

I sometimes find them in the shower!

tanith Sat 05-Oct-19 08:02:12

I do exactly what aggie does

annodomini Sat 05-Oct-19 00:00:33

You could salt the food waste which might deter the slugs from even trying to get into the caddy. Certainly the ring of salt round the outside should work - unless it gets washed away by rain.

annep1 Fri 04-Oct-19 23:18:20

Made by Addis. Not as big but adequate and quite cheap.

annep1 Fri 04-Oct-19 23:11:12

We bought one that looks nice and keep it near the sink.

SpringyChicken Fri 04-Oct-19 22:59:23

Buy a different caddy?

aggie Fri 04-Oct-19 20:52:07

I keep mine under the sink and empty it in the bin outside when it isn't raining ( the recycling/composting /food waste bin)

notentirelyallhere Fri 04-Oct-19 20:49:09

You could try sprinkling used coffee grounds around the caddy, gardeners do this. Or a ring of salt which will have horrible consequences for the slugs but keep them off and out of the caddy!

phoenix Fri 04-Oct-19 20:43:13

tanith it is positioned where it is so that we can use it without going out in the rain, i.e. just outside the door.

Septimia yes, it is outside, could try standing it in a water filled tray, but somehow doubt if it would work.

Septimia Fri 04-Oct-19 20:23:32

Slugs - horrible things - seem to be able to squeeze through really small gaps. I've tried discouraging them with strips of copper but have resorted to throwing salt at them when there are too many to ignore.

I suppose the waste food is interesting to them, unfortunately. Is your caddy outside? Maybe standing it in a shallow container of water would stop them - unless they take up swimming, of course.

My DH hates slugs, but spent ages looking at Roman snails with DGD!

tanith Fri 04-Oct-19 20:22:23

Can’t you put it in an outbuilding? Garage or shed? Or put it up on top of something? I have a lot of slugs but they don’t seem to bother with the bin.

phoenix Fri 04-Oct-19 20:18:18

Hello all,

Mr P & I recycle whatever we can.

We have a food/waste caddy, with a handle that supposedly seals it, to prevent animals breaking into it.

However, it doesn't seem to be slug proof!

Mr P went out to put the plate scrapings in to the caddy, and as he lifted the handle, made contact with a very large slug! shock

We seem to be plagued by the damn things when it comes to the food caddy. I want to recycle our food waste, veg peelings etc, but really can't be doing with these slime monsters!