Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Anyone been outside yet?

(41 Posts)
Riverwalk Sat 12-Oct-19 07:57:04

Letting the dog out for a pee doesn't count!

I really need to get off my bum and do a brisk 90 minute walk but it's such a miserable drizzly morning out there and my body is reluctant but brain, such as it is, tells me I must.

Oh, decisions!

Pittcity Sat 12-Oct-19 13:26:26

I've been out to the shops in Mac and boots, carrying a brolly.
Everything's hung up to dry now and I feel quite damp, even indoors!!

MiniMoon Sat 12-Oct-19 13:32:13

Not been out yet, but need to go.
I have the Active 10 app on my phone. It advocates 2-3 brisk walks of ten minutes duration. I usually walk for about 30-40 minutes, with as much brisk walking as I can muster.

I've spent the morning doing washing and making the dinner after being away from home for 3 days looking after grandchildren while daughter and son-in-law were away celebrating their wedding anniversary.

Maybelle Sat 12-Oct-19 13:35:32

Beautiful sunny day here in the North West, just back from a trip to the quilt fabric shop. 30 minutes round journey, plus time in the shop and then coffee.

newnanny Sat 12-Oct-19 13:38:02

I have been up and taken foster child to cricket practice then come home and cooked lunch. Not raining here though. Will be out with dogs next whilst dry.

annodomini Sat 12-Oct-19 13:51:11

Lovely, sunny morning here in East Cheshire and not even very cold. Just as well, because hundreds of us formed an immense queue for our flu jabs. Eventually, a receptionist came and asked if anyone was having trouble standing. By that time I was standing on one leg and my walking stick! So I was sent to the head of the queue and was relieved to have my jab and then fight my way out of the car park! Something had gone very wrong with the organisation this year as I'd never seen a queue like it for flu jabs.
It's now a sunny afternoon and I wouldn't mind betting that there is still a queue at the medical centre. Hopefully, the elderly population of Poynton will be flu-free this winter.

EllanVannin Sat 12-Oct-19 15:47:28

Washing dried and lovely and fresh--NW. Makes a change as it's been lovely today.

annodomini Sat 12-Oct-19 16:18:12

Now we're back to normal. It's raining, ?

Hetty58 Sat 12-Oct-19 16:24:18

Well I've had my walk now (without the dog). I couldn't help smiling at a large group of walkers going up the hill as I walked back down.

It's only a mile or so and there they were, all ages, all dressed up in special sports gear, special shoes and carrying water bottles. I just had my umbrella, raincoat and trainers.

It struck me that walking was an organised 'event' for them and a way of life for me. I don't drive and walk a few miles every day.

Barmeyoldbat Sat 12-Oct-19 17:20:33

My new wellies on, waterproof coat and out to the shops and a coffee. Caught the bus back but I do feel better for it. Just go for it.

phoenix Sat 12-Oct-19 17:40:36

Urmstongran you're being brave, not using " her" full name, as per "instructions" posted a while back wink

grandtanteJE65 Sun 13-Oct-19 11:21:02

I went out to the bin! It has actually stopped raining and blowing a gale for the first time in three days.

Don't feel tempted to go anywhere in this miserable grey dank weather.

Jane10 Sun 13-Oct-19 12:02:08

Oh dear. We're having a family lunch at the Botanic gardens. A good place for this as it's family friendly and the DGSs love to choose which areas to visit afterwards. I enjoy this so much and look forward to it.
This makes me a bit sad as we used to endure similar outings with my parents when our children were young. It was a chore. Now I know how they must have felt I feel such retrospective guilt.

Fennel Sun 13-Oct-19 12:20:28

I try to go out every morning, rain or shine.
This morning it was drizzly here, but not windy or cold, so I enjoyed my outing to Tesco.
Chatted to a few strangers too!. But was careful about what I said.

WOODMOUSE49 Sun 13-Oct-19 13:25:33

Just back from walk with Mya (dog). First time off the lead. Tricky times training her as she's a rescue dog. Nearly 5 years old.

We live in a wood so she's lots of room and it's easy to loose sight of her. Plus we have farm land on three sides (goats ...)

So smile grin pleased. Came back every time and walked with me when told to. Lots of treats helped.

Sun's out so it made the walk even better.

Fennel Sun 13-Oct-19 15:31:15

I'm envious, WOODMOUSE.