Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Anyone been outside yet?

(40 Posts)
Riverwalk Sat 12-Oct-19 07:57:04

Letting the dog out for a pee doesn't count!

I really need to get off my bum and do a brisk 90 minute walk but it's such a miserable drizzly morning out there and my body is reluctant but brain, such as it is, tells me I must.

Oh, decisions!

Willow500 Sat 12-Oct-19 07:59:24

I've been up since 5 but have only just opened the curtains - I certainly haven't been outside yet as I'm still in my pjs grin

BlueBelle Sat 12-Oct-19 08:16:18

Been out in the garden don’t know if that counts

Riverwalk Sat 12-Oct-19 08:16:32

Well opening the curtains is a start grin

Urmstongran Sat 12-Oct-19 08:25:51

Gabriella is out somewhere - she’s gone for her morning run! Well done that woman. I’m on here still in bed ....
?

Loislovesstewie Sat 12-Oct-19 08:27:30

Just got back from walking the dog. I think that counts.

merlotgran Sat 12-Oct-19 08:30:21

I have to defrost the kitchen freezer today which means numerous trips across the yard to the chest freezer in DH's workshop. I really CBA but must get dressed and get on with it.

Beckett Sat 12-Oct-19 08:31:35

Urmstongran Me too! Was beginning to think I was the only one blush

NanKate Sat 12-Oct-19 08:31:53

Morning River why does the walk have to be 90 minutes? I regularly do a 20- 30 minute brisk walk and feel better for it.

My attitude to rainy days changed some years ago. I had a friend who was in the last stages of her life, she phoned a number of her friends one wet, miserable day and said she felt a bit better and would we come round for a cuppa. I walked through a heavy downpour to her house and as I contemplated the situation I thought aren’t I the lucky one to be fit and well and walking even if it is raining. So I bought myself some waterproof over trousers and have never looked back.

Urmstongran Sat 12-Oct-19 08:33:42

Beckett ??

I’m giving myself 15 more minutes (but that’s only because I have to get out for my ‘flu jab, otherwise ....)

Beckett Sat 12-Oct-19 08:42:05

Urmstongran I had my flu jab last week - not even a sore arm this year!

Time for me to get up, have a leisurely breakfast and then decide what to do for the rest of the day

Riverwalk Sat 12-Oct-19 10:04:17

Well I managed 70 minutes and now home having a cup of tea and contemplating paperwork/housework, but then again ....

NanKate it doesn't have to be 90 minutes but I aim for at least 60. I have some errands to do later so assuming it's not pouring down will get in another hour or so.

Walking beats the gym any day, IMO, and it's free smile

I hope no lazy moos are still in bed shock

tanith Sat 12-Oct-19 10:04:19

I’ve been up since 7 went out to get the paper it was drizzling but as I was out I took a walk across the park home. I get bored on long walks so try to take 2 shorter ones.

Jane10 Sat 12-Oct-19 10:36:24

I'm up but not dressed. I'll go for a walk this afternoon. I quite enjoy it but do feel a bit daft striding out on my own. I've recently been listening to old Goon shows on my headphones as I walk. Occasionally, I can't help laughing out loud. I hate to think what passers by think of this strange laughing woman.

Urmstongran Sat 12-Oct-19 10:37:55

Well done Riverwalk! You’ll be feeling so pleased now you’ve done it.

sazz1 Sat 12-Oct-19 11:33:45

Had the flu jab this year and it made me ill for 2 days. Bad stomach swollen arm, temperature chills aching joints. Only second time this has happened in 10 years normally I'm fine.

LondonGranny Sat 12-Oct-19 11:43:30

I got home last night after a short break and found my bulbs had arrived so I was planting crocuses at 8am (thank you DD for looking after everything in my absence and putting the bulbs somewhere cool). My resident robin followed me about & had a feast on the mini-beasts that were unearthed as I prepared the ground. The cat sat clattering its jaw, thwarted, with face pressed against the window! It's so good to be home again, feeling refreshed and re-energised smile

EllanVannin Sat 12-Oct-19 12:27:05

Yes I hurtled around the shops before and rushed back to put the washing out. One item was a valance so it's had the sun on it for a couple of hours and will probably only need a light tumble to air it off before I put it away.
This time of year you have to grab the first opportunity of fine weather if the washing goes outside to dry/freshen.

Poor sazzl, I had 2 consecutive years of illness due to the flu-jab, both times, including last year, over the Christmas break-----flu !! I hope you're okay soon. Must be a different " mixture " contained in it.

Oopsminty Sat 12-Oct-19 12:28:15

Nope. Apart from to the bins. Got the family coming this afternoon for birthday celebrations. I doubt I'll go out until 7 tonight with the dog.

fizzers Sat 12-Oct-19 12:32:33

I've been to the bin, does that count?

Hetty58 Sat 12-Oct-19 12:41:44

I would normally have walked the dog by now. She refuses, however, to walk in the rain. If we're out and it starts raining, she somehow loses the use of her legs and I have no option but to find shelter or carry her home. Luckily, she only weighs 6kg!

Rain is a blessing in disguise here, though. I might actually get some housework done, for once. My usual going out or urgent gardening excuses don't apply!

DanniRae Sat 12-Oct-19 12:44:56

I went round to get the paper - took all of 10 minutes but at least I was out - certainly not going out again grin

Liz46 Sat 12-Oct-19 12:46:15

It's absolutely beautiful here in the north west. We went to New Brighton for a walk along the prom and I put my thick coat on ready for the sea breeze but there wasn't one. We had a lovely walk, stopping briefly for a cup of coffee.

SueDonim Sat 12-Oct-19 13:06:16

Glorious sunshine here. I've not been out yet but I will be wrangling 'outside' with my 22mo granddaughter later on. Plenty of exercise involved with that! grin

aggie Sat 12-Oct-19 13:17:57

Been out ripping down sweet pea and the rest of the summer stuff . Somehow we ordered 355 bulbs and they have to go in today , well will do our best to find room for them !