Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Problem with neighbours feeding wildlife

(60 Posts)
sazz1 Sat 12-Oct-19 11:12:15

I have a lovely elderly neighbour next door who lost her OH a few months ago. She told me she was feeding a couple of hedgehogs and then saw a badger coming in her back garden. The last few weeks she has put food and water outside her back door each night. We looked out last night and a fox and badger were making a lot of noise out there having a stand off over the food. But even worse I saw a rat dissapear into our fusha bush a few nights ago. Every time I let our dogs out at night they are barking and jumping at her fence obviously at the fox, badger and rats. How can I tell her it's not a good idea as it's attracting rats? Really don't want to upset her. We're moving in a few weeks but don't want to leave this problem for new house owner. Thanks.

jusnoneed Sun 13-Oct-19 12:57:57

My friends parents had rats get into the wall cavities RosesareRed, in the end they had to get pest control out to clear them.
Luckily we don't have badgers or foxes, garden is completely fenced in.
Suspect our problem arises because there are a couple of nearby houses with chicken runs, one placed the other side of one of our fences. That plus nearby unkempt gardens makes a haven for the rats. Unfortunately they decided to live under our shed so OH got straight to work getting rid. Yes we all know they are around us but I don't want to have them running around the patio or getting into parts of the buildings!
They soon get out of control.

LittlemoO Sun 13-Oct-19 14:36:54

I have fed the birds for years, and have been constantly criticised by my neighbours about attracting rats. In this world where we are losing all our animals to extinction through lack of food, habitation etc. we all need to do our bit
to try and preserve the wildlife and animals that we have got, I feel it is every one's duty, after all without them, we are gone too!! I have only had rats once, I didn`t want to kill them either, but knew I had to, secure bottom of fences, make it hard for them to enter your garden, and let's do our bit for protecting our wildlife.

Foxygran Sun 13-Oct-19 15:52:24

Love your wildlife friendly garden Shinamae!
The main problem to hedgehogs , as people have said, is all ourgardens being inaccessible and too tidy. But equally, so much traffic on the roads and also intensive farming and the loss of wild boundaries.
Any foxes that your neighbour may attract will certainly catch and eat the rats if they can. That’s nature. Please don’t even think about putting poison down especially because if a larger animal happens to eat the poisoned rat, they too will die.
Hedgehogs need all the help they can get, as do the foxes who are being killed by the hunts even though fox hunting was banned in 2005. Then there’s the badgers who are currently being culled: up to 64,000 this year will lose their lives.
Soon we will be complaining that British wildlife is extinct, just like we do now about the red squirrel which we were previously responsible for culling as part of another government strategy.
Good Luck with your move.

Doings Sun 13-Oct-19 16:18:22

I'm with Quizqueen. The indignation of rats in the garden. ... How very dare they (sarcasm). I have had a big fat hedgehog in my London garden, and of course we get foxes. I don't enjoy the idea of rats but it is what it is. My local underground station car park is overrun with rats. They are everywhere.

HettyMaud Sun 13-Oct-19 18:55:05

www.countryliving.com/uk/wildlife/countryside/a28604641/hedgehogs

Hedgehogs will get extra protection under new building rules

Iam64 Sun 13-Oct-19 19:27:24

I feed the birds in squirrel proof feeders which I bring in at night.
I loathe rats and would always use the council rodent team to minimise them, well kill them.

Joplin Sun 13-Oct-19 19:30:10

Definitely don't tell her, but I would certainly stop your dogs from jumping at her fence & barking. As an ardent dog lover & owner I still appreciate the fact that it can be very irritating for neighbours to have their peace disturbed by noisy dogs. It's unnecessary & dogs can easily be trained to keep most of their barking to the doorbell & possible intruders.

ReadyMeals Mon 14-Oct-19 19:35:49

It's not barking that upsets me about neighbors dogs, at least while barking they are usually having fun or at least occupied. It's when they're left alone all day and whine and howl. That really gets to me.

Hetty58 Mon 14-Oct-19 19:48:31

Plunger, your comment 'the trap is locked' is misleading. Rat poison is very dangerous!