Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Love letters ?

(64 Posts)
tanith Sat 19-Oct-19 15:22:57

I was sorting through some papers this morning and came across letters and cards that my husband and I exchanged early in our relationship. I spent an hour reading and reminiscing and weeping as DH sadly died a year ago a bitter sweet morning.
Now I wouldn’t want my family reading them for various reasons so I’m now not sure what to do with them, keep, which I would prefer or dispose of now in case future events mean they are read after I’m gone as none of us know what tomorrow may bring.

What would you do?

grandmac Sun 20-Oct-19 14:03:57

Some time after my DH died I spent a few tearful days re reading our letters to each other from before we were married and on the occasions we were apart after marriage. Then I burnt them and took the ashes to put on his grave.
I wouldn't have wanted my children to have read them after I've gone. They know we had a deep love for each other and that is enough.

luluaugust Sun 20-Oct-19 14:25:21

My dad destroyed the letters between my mum and him written during the war but he did keep four or five letters written by the family to each other at the outbreak of war and they are fascinating. My DH and I have kept very little but I went through a ten year phase of keeping a diary, I reckon I should get them out and check them!

SJS1 Sun 20-Oct-19 14:44:29

just as Nico97 said I am also a widow and have put mine in a beautiful envelope and asked that they go in my coffin with me - and that will be the end of our love story.

Caro57 Sun 20-Oct-19 16:34:00

DH has no relatives apart from his children. When his dad died there was a box of ‘stuff’ that DH was instructed to burn without opening. We have since discovered his parents were not married, dad never divorced 1st wife and that DH has an elder half brother - somewhere - that he cannot find, very sad

Jaycee5 Sun 20-Oct-19 16:35:31

Could you copy them and download them to an encrypted file? Its not something that I could do but if you can or know someone who could show you how it would mean that you won't regret getting rid of them but no-one else could find them.

Shizam Sun 20-Oct-19 19:48:47

I posted about this recently. Recycled all old cards, letters. Whole big box of them. Probably giving someone a laugh at recycling centre! I was relieved to get shot of them in the end.

janzicb1 Sun 20-Oct-19 22:45:55

Hallo. Don’t get anxious as for three if my five I went over two weeks and all was fine. I hope you won’t have to wait too lo g before you meet your grandchild. All the best. Just relax and know this time next month he or she will be here!!

Mealybug Mon 21-Oct-19 03:13:57

I too found a bundle of letters from when we first met and I burned the lot. I didn't want my daughter finding them and reading through them all after I pass away. What was in them was private between me and OH and will stay that way. I found out after we were married that my mother and sister used to open my letters from him when I lived at home, read them and seal them up again. I was mortified, not because there was anything sexual in them but just because I thought they were private and should have stayed that way.

Newquay Mon 21-Oct-19 09:04:21

Oh Lulu I really feel for you and your DH suffering with MSA which I have had experience of. Do hope you’re getting help in-you SO need it. If I may, palliative care is the way to go IMHO.

Ellianne Mon 21-Oct-19 09:46:42

I agree with nipsmum that the letters probably aren't of any real interest or help to others in the family so I would destroy them. They obviously had a lot of meaning to the writer and recipient at the time, but they were private and that's how they should remain.
I once had a French amant who wrote me the most romantic letters from Paris and I kept them for ages. Sometimes I think we give the written word too much meaning in our lives simply because the person is absent.

Fiachna50 Mon 21-Oct-19 10:12:14

I would dispose of the letters.

Lisalou Fri 25-Oct-19 04:29:27

I think I would leave instructions with lawyer or executor of my will to destroy. I understand how you feel tanith, I suspect there is information in those letters you would not want the next generation to know about. Some skeletons, not necessarily bad ones, are best left in the cupboard. I know that I would not want anyone reading a couple of my teen diaries. At one stage I had something of a crush on a person who is still a dear family friend, who went on to marry, and have a very happy life, whose children are friends with mine. It is all very much water under the bridge and ancient history, but imagine the stir THAT might cause, when nothing ever really happened!

GeorgyGirl Wed 30-Oct-19 21:13:29

It sounds so sad burning love letters when they are part of your personal history, such a shame, but each to his own.