Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Toddler hairstyle too tight?

(40 Posts)
MissAdventure Sat 26-Oct-19 11:09:33

I think I might try and be a bit sneaky.
I'd say I was at the hairdressers and she took a phone call from someone asking if she could help with thinning patches of hair...
This lead on to a discussion about pulling hair back into ponytails and the damage she has seen in lots of people.

Callistemon Sat 26-Oct-19 10:45:14

You could try mentioning that having a good trim should thicken up the hair.

I think it's an old wives' tale but could work!

GermanSauerkraut Sat 26-Oct-19 10:41:17

Thankyou everyone for the sage advice ??

GermanSauerkraut Sat 26-Oct-19 10:39:56

I am so glad I joined Gransnet aster receiving your reply it has helped me to consider what to do not to - Thankyu very much for your help.

Callistemon Sat 26-Oct-19 10:32:54

DD1 had thick hair and enough to tie up by the age of one. I didn't tie it up but she had to have a thorough haircut at 15 months (by a hairdresser).

Callistemon Sat 26-Oct-19 10:31:01

Tight headbands!

Callistemon Sat 26-Oct-19 10:30:48

I can't bear to see baldish baby girls wearing fussy, right headbands either.

I understand your anxiety, OP, but agree that there is little you can do about it.

She will soon be old enough to pull the offending band off herself if it is uncomfortable- I know my DD would have done.

Chestnut Sat 26-Oct-19 10:30:35

It does seem amazing that she has enough hair at that age to tie up, as it is usually fine and whispy. I can understand your feelings, I'm sure I would feel exactly the same. You could try asking a question in a friendly way 'Do you think she'd be more comfortable with her hair loose when she's sleeping?' which doesn't take the decision away from the mother. The way you speak is all important. If she responds in a positive way you could follow up with 'It might be good for her scalp to have the hair loose' which sounds like you're interested in the child and not in criticising the mother. Just an option for you to consider.

MawB Sat 26-Oct-19 10:09:36

Is she only one? None of mine had enough hair until they were 2 or 3!

Luckygirl Sat 26-Oct-19 09:43:19

I do not think you should do or say anything; but I share your puzzlement about this fad for dragging hair tightly back - I think it looks grim; especially when you can see the receding hairline very clearly.

I saw a pic of Serena Williams and her little 2 year old girl, and she had done this with her - bald patches were clearly visible. What is it all about?

Dillyduck Sat 26-Oct-19 09:38:38

Maybe ask the little girl what her favourite hair style is? So she knows that it is HER hair.

BlueBelle Sat 26-Oct-19 09:11:34

No don’t say anything it’s not your place unless she asks your opinion
All my childhood I yearned for a fringe like all my classmates but wasn’t allowed one as my Nan (who I adored) told mum I shouldn’t have one it’s not the grandmas place even if you don’t like it or even think it’s not good for her hair
You could throw out the odd subtle remark but that might even work against your plan, otherwise best not
If you ever have alone maybe the band could ‘break’ and you ‘ mend’ it before collection

NanKate Sat 26-Oct-19 09:03:37

From my experience GS the less you say the better. My ex daughter-in-law used to insist that the boys had longish hair with a fringe almost over their eyes it was dreadful. When they got older the eldest now 8 said to me I don’t want a pudding basin haircut anymore and told his mum and he was, with his brother, allowed to have the haircut they wanted. I think you will find your granddaughter will make her views known when she is a little older.

I think you have to sit tight and say nothing.

GermanSauerkraut Sat 26-Oct-19 08:56:49

Type error : My Grand-daughter ! Not daughter

GermanSauerkraut Sat 26-Oct-19 08:53:27

Hello I’m new on gransnet and have already posted my dilemma on here somewhere but think it’s in the wrong place! I try again. My dilemma is that I find it hard to believe offer up advice to my daughter in law as I feel it comes across as a‘criticism’, but I just want to tell her my thoughts sometimes if I’m concerned about anything . So I am worried she ties my one year old daughter’s hair back so tight into a ponytail every day without let up, and sleeps like that as well. I have read this can cause alopecia and headaches. Because any advice I’ve offered in the past has been unwelcome I’m too wary to say anything about my worry. Should I still say something fr the sake of the child’s hair? She just looks bald all the time it’s so tightly scraped back.