Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Renewal of driving licence

(8 Posts)
Devorgilla Wed 30-Oct-19 14:00:06

Thanks for your advice and replies. I applied online but, at last page, got a message saying my licence didn't expire until 2021. Not true, so I then resorted to the form they sent to me as a reminder. I got this same message first time I applied online and phoned them about it and was told to submit anyway. Just a bit annoyed it has still not been sorted, unless they go by date you got your first proper licence which kind of fits. I am going to try again online as so much easier and try to find a number with a real voice at the end. The FAQ and robot online messaging is no help at all. If that fails I'll just cut up licence regardless. They've got to send a new one anyway. Thanks again for your help and suggestions.

Canalboatgranma Wed 30-Oct-19 13:11:43

My dh has just sent off the renewal form, couldn't do it online as his passport has expired. Didn't notice anywhere on the form about sending back his old licence; let's hope they send out a new licence without having the old one.

jacq10 Wed 30-Oct-19 12:12:58

I have renewed twice now online with no problems whatsoever. Just make sure you use the official DVLA site. There are companies who charge for this and when you type in "renewal of driving icence" a scam site is there waiting to charge £57!! Having renewed before I'm sure you are aware of this but I'm sure some folks have been fooled.

HildaW Wed 30-Oct-19 12:03:00

Have just renewed my driving licence but not for being over 70.....just because it was expiring and on the reminder letter it stated returning the old licence cut up - so we did that. The new one practically came by return of post.

Charleygirl5 Wed 30-Oct-19 11:52:53

I am 76, did mine online and everything was sorted within 5 working days. I do have medical problems of which they are aware and they have not changed for many years.

vickymeldrew Wed 30-Oct-19 11:27:09

I appreciate your reluctance to put the old licence in the post. Is there a reason you can’t do it on line?

Devorgilla Wed 30-Oct-19 11:15:26

No indication on the form BTW, except to send it back. Is it just my paranoia with security that I need to cut it up?

Devorgilla Wed 30-Oct-19 11:13:45

I am hoping for a speedy answer to this. I am renewing my licence for the second three year bout as over 70. When I send my licence back with the medical form do I cut it up for security reasons? I asked DVLA this online and googled it, to no effect. I would like to send form off today. Thank you for any replies from those who have been this route before me.