Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Pub at Christmas

(105 Posts)
H1954 Tue 05-Nov-19 18:29:43

Whilst waiting in the supermarket queue earlier today I overheard a conversation between a couple of other shoppers. They were discussing Christmas and the subject of the "men" going to the pub on Christmas Day only to return home when the turkey needed carving.

My late first husband never went to the pub on Christmas Day despite being a very heavy drinker; it was something he never wanted to do.

So, I was wondering what fellow Gransnet members had to say when n the matter.

Magpie1959 Wed 06-Nov-19 12:18:47

When i was a child our family all went to my Grandmothers house for chrismas day. The men all went to the pub whilst the women did the lunch. We all sat down to eat when they
came home.
My own family have never followed the tradition but once, when we went to my sons home for christmas, we prepared the dinner then all went to the pub together. When we got back we all mucked in to get the dinner on the table. It was the best christmas i've ever had (as an adult). I usually get very stressed trying to get it all on the table but that year i was completely chilled, i loved it.

marionk Wed 06-Nov-19 12:28:03

One of our local swimming pools opens on Christmas Day for a couple of hours - great way for the kids to let off steam and work up an appetite whilst the big lunch is cooked in peace ?

oodles Wed 06-Nov-19 12:42:24

Northerner here, dad never did

Anthea1948 Wed 06-Nov-19 12:43:07

My husband has never been to the pub on Christmas day, but he regularly visited his folks Christmas day morning when they were alive, taking our daughter with him. I quite enjoyed the time to prepare the meal in peace and it wouldn't bother me if this year he decided to go to the pub.

Longdistancegrnny Wed 06-Nov-19 12:44:37

When we were first married my Dad, my brother and DH used to go to the pub on Xmas Day, leaving Mum and me to do all the work! I was not so keen on that idea once we had children. Now we all go - DH and ACs muck in to prepare the veg etc and we put the turkey in the oven and stroll to the local (about the only time of year we go to that particular pub) for a couple of drinks, then come back to eat a mid afternoon dinner. It's nice to get out of the house for an hour or so and get a breath of fresh air on the way there and back, and there are usually a few people we know to wish Happy Christmas to.

Oopsminty Wed 06-Nov-19 12:44:54

When I first met my second husband I discovered that this strange trip to a public house was the norm for his family.

I told him point blank that if he buggered off to the pub when Christmas Dinner was being prepared I'd be off.

After all, I needed him to cook the meal!

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 06-Nov-19 13:01:43

BIL used to do this with his Dad and AC but these days he's less keen. I think his wife has got him under control at last.

Shandy3 Wed 06-Nov-19 13:28:49

OMG! Really?!
I'm sure pubs in the Midlands and South do very well on Christmas day ?

PernillaVanilla Wed 06-Nov-19 13:35:49

We don't. I can imagine if I lived in a nice village with a lovely pub very close by DH and I might drop in for a glass or two before lunch, if we knew other people there. As we live in a village with a not very nice pub where we know none of the regulars we won't.

paintingthetownred Wed 06-Nov-19 13:38:49

how about all the women having a day off cooking, all going to the restaurant/pub and the blokes pay for it...

After all, when you factor in all the cooking, cleaning, washing and washing up we do all year, we save them a packet. Not to mention care responsibilities. And no washing up ladies. Fab.

all best
painting

CleoPanda Wed 06-Nov-19 13:50:29

Gosh, can’t believe the few people who have rudely questioned the OP about the question.
Surely, whenever a member posts an anecdote, they are simply starting a conversation?
If you are disinterested in the topic, you are free to ignore and move on.
If a friend or acquaintance told you a short tale about an overheard conversation, would you be so rude in your response?
Although I don’t have a particular response for the question, I certainly enjoyed reading the (non-rude) replies.

CBBL Wed 06-Nov-19 14:24:12

I remember my Grandfather going to the pub before (Sunday) lunch quite often, but not closer relatives. He probably did go on Christmas Day, but I don't really remember that. My hubby doesn't drink and the nearest pub is some four miles distant, as we live in a rural area. He would not go out without me, even if invited - so we wouldn't get a Christmas dinner, unless he booked one for us (which he has offered to do in the past).

Ellie666 Wed 06-Nov-19 14:39:38

Typical "Poor Mum"

Ellie666 Wed 06-Nov-19 14:41:39

Love it. I did the same years ago.

paintingthetownred Wed 06-Nov-19 14:42:05

Gosh, Cleaopanda, not sure about your definition of 'rude'.

Surely you mean 'disagreeing'. Not the same.

Anyone who starts a thread on a public forum can surely expect a challenge and people to disagree with them?

cupcake1 Wed 06-Nov-19 14:59:35

My ex always went to the pub and being an alcoholic Christmas was never a happy occasion. The last Christmas many moons ago was the final straw and as soon as the solicitors were open again I filed for divorce. My now DH of 37 years has never and would never go to the pub Christmas morning.

SirChenjin Wed 06-Nov-19 15:12:47

No- one in my family has ever gone to the pub on Christmas Day and we certainly don’t go in for stereotypical gender roles of the menfolk at the pub while the women slave away in the kitchen grin I must admit I didn’t know pubs were even open on Christmas Day.

Too many places opening now on Christmas Day for my liking - unless they’re genuinely offered a choice of working/not working what a shame for the employees who probably want to be at home with their families.

Dottydots Wed 06-Nov-19 15:19:21

My boyfriend and my son (47) always go to the pub on Christmas morning. My son comes home "happy" but my boyfriend is usually quite sloshed. He's good to me all year round, so I put up with it, even when halfway through his Christmas dinner he falls asleep and his head falls onto his plate. I always take a photo then to show him what a wally he has been.

timetogo2016 Wed 06-Nov-19 15:26:53

Agree with MOnica.
My family were the same.
The whole day was family orientated especially as my fathers b`day was on Christmas day as is my grandson`s.

CleoPanda Wed 06-Nov-19 16:06:02

@ paintingthetownred
The comments I felt were uncalled for were the ones criticising the OP question. They weren’t agreeing or disagreeing with the anecdote.
“Strange kind of question H1954…. Why would any comments like this cause you to question what others do?” And
“Who cares???”
Do you not feel it’s bad manners to criticise a member’s attempt to start a discussion?

Saggi Wed 06-Nov-19 16:12:36

They wouldn’t have got any dinner if they pulled that on my mother .Mum ruled ...and dad and brothers knew it!!

driverann Wed 06-Nov-19 17:30:03

As a child my parents run a pub. Christmas was a nightmare for me and my siblings. Mum and dad would be downstairs serving the customers in the “ lock-in” all afternoon. The pub was closed on the Christmas Day evening whilst mum and dad slept off the effects of the drink. My elder sister looked after us younger ones. Wild horses could not pull me to a pub on Christmas Day or any other days for that matter.

Urmstongran Wed 06-Nov-19 18:48:41

Aw it’s not a competition! No virtue in those who don’t and no valour in those who do, surely?

In some families (maybe Northern?) it’s a thing. In others it isn’t.

So long as everyone’s happy within their own family eh?

glammagran Wed 06-Nov-19 19:30:26

I can’t imagine who would want to go the pub on Christmas Day (or shopping on Boxing Day for that matter). Surely the staff deserve a Christmas just like most people.

MissAdventure Wed 06-Nov-19 21:39:45

Lots of very nice people do.
The bar is always packed with people wearing new jumpers, with Slade playing, and Noddy shouting "IT'S CHRISTMAS!!"