Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Pub at Christmas

(105 Posts)
H1954 Tue 05-Nov-19 18:29:43

Whilst waiting in the supermarket queue earlier today I overheard a conversation between a couple of other shoppers. They were discussing Christmas and the subject of the "men" going to the pub on Christmas Day only to return home when the turkey needed carving.

My late first husband never went to the pub on Christmas Day despite being a very heavy drinker; it was something he never wanted to do.

So, I was wondering what fellow Gransnet members had to say when n the matter.

Nansnet Mon 11-Nov-19 02:35:33

When I was a child, I remember by grandad, dad and uncles all going to the pub at lunchtime, whilst my gran, mum and aunts prepared the Christmas dinner. Although, since I had my own family, and my parents came to me, the men never went to the pub, preferring to stay at home and actually enjoyed all the Christmas preparations. When my kids became adults, they never went to the pub either, and preferred to stay at home.

This year, for the first time ever, my daughter (who loves everything about Christmas!) is hosting us all on Christmas day with her partner at their home. Her partner's family (his parents and brother) have never been big on tradition, but they are all looking forward to their first massively traditional Christmas day. Her partner did suggest that perhaps the men could pop to the pub for a lunchtime pint ... she swiftly slapped him down for even suggesting such a thing, and told him that never happens in our family, and we'll all be enjoying Christmas drinks at home ... the women included! Good on her, I say! Start as you mean to go on!

sarahanew Mon 11-Nov-19 20:55:06

I am a regular at my local pub. A couple of Christmases ago I was lucky enough to have my three grown up children, heir partners and my grandchildren at my home for lunch. This doesn't happen too often as they have to split themselves between me and my ex and their partners split families and gets complicated. Anyway they were going on to their Dad's for teatime. Once they'd gone on, I did the washing up (I'd told them to leave this as I said I'd have nothing to do after they'd gone!!) I then had another helping of sherry trifle on my own for 'tea' and then went up the pub until the earlier hours. There were a few people escaping their families, some couples without children or with grown up children, people out with their visiting families.. a real mix and everybody in a good mood. It was a great night

Scentia Mon 11-Nov-19 23:08:28

My dad was a big drinker and on Christmas Day he would gather us 4 children up in our new clothes and take us off to the pub whilst mum got the dinner ready. We were even allowed a glass of sherry. My dad would have a lot to drink, bring us home, eat lunch then fall asleep till tea time. We had a house full at tea time and if the pubs opened he would have gone adding, fortunately he had a house full of drink do didn’t miss that one night off.

B9exchange Tue 12-Nov-19 09:27:09

Never heard or thought of going to a pub on Christmas day until our daughter married a Yorkshire man. It was his custom, and he still disappears down the pub, forgets all about the time, and comes back to a ruined dinner. They have now split up, but still spend Christmas Day together, the only difference is that DD and GC now go with him, and have got used to bone dry turkey. Whatever floats your boat!