Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Lipstick!

(58 Posts)
hapgran Tue 12-Nov-19 12:56:09

Can anyone recommend a lipstick for the 'older' woman? I want one that is bright and glossy but doesn't show the lines in my lips. I have recently started using a lip liner which has helped but need the right lipstick to go on top!

lizzypopbottle Wed 13-Nov-19 13:35:55

I'll try again....I tried out Max Factor Lipfinity. I didn't like it and it wouldn't come off!

Madmaggie Wed 13-Nov-19 13:47:22

Look at the online site "Look Fabulous Forever" it gives advice on the best colours for different skin tones. I use their Soft Plum and have had compliments. They have online tutorials on how to apply various make up. The founder of the company is a mature lady and often does the how to videos on herself. Worth checking out even if you don't purchase.

lizzypopbottle Wed 13-Nov-19 13:49:12

They have make up tutorials on here! I mean on GN!

okimherenow Wed 13-Nov-19 14:29:10

On the back of this interesting chat could anyone recommend a genuinely long lasting lipstick please?

Urmstongran Wed 13-Nov-19 15:05:08

I love Estee Lauder ones in the gold ribbed case. I have too many lipsticks (maybe 30) so I’m not buying any more until I’ve used them all up! I love buying lipsticks. I have many different brands at present.

My aim is to end up with half a dozen - perhaps one pink, a coral, apricot, red, brown. I don’t need shades of these really (which is what I’ve got at the moment!).

I’m staying away from buying more? .... for a while.

Patticake123 Wed 13-Nov-19 15:35:01

Yes, Max Factor do a dual lipstick and gloss . They have a fair range of colours and it is the first lipstick I have ever used that a) stays on and b) doesn’t bleed into the lines. I get it At Tesco for around £8.99

sweetonion Wed 13-Nov-19 15:40:49

I would imagine you could benefit from a lip primer. I don’t wear much makeup but when I do I use England’s own Look Fabulous Forever. I really like their face primer and foundation. Never used the lip primer because I don’t need it. I do like their lipstick, but they don’t have quite the right shade for me, so I use a Bert’s Bees product.

Namsnanny Wed 13-Nov-19 15:52:20

I need one that my hairy lip doesn’t stick too as well as doesn’t bleed!!!
TMI !! probably expecting just a little too much, no?

aonk Wed 13-Nov-19 16:13:02

Yes I agree about the Max Factor Lipfinity. A very good product. I have this in 3 shades which cover all eventualities! Sometimes I layer 2 of them to tone down the colour a bit

Auntieflo Wed 13-Nov-19 16:24:47

Another ? for Max Factor Lipfinity. I only found it fairly recently, and it has been very good.
But, can you get the clear, gloss, 'top coat' separately? or do you have to buy another duo?
Schnackie, is your cinnamon colour, actually called cinnamon?
I used to use a Barbara Daly one, from Tesco, called Mocha, that I really loved

phoenix Wed 13-Nov-19 16:38:51

Saxifrage & Auntieflo Lipfinity really does stay put, to the extent that I had to use make up remover to get it off!

However it was the only one I would use when I had a "proper" job, had it in about 4 different colours. Would wear it when going to client meetings, didn't bother if it was just an office day!

Also found it rather drying?

annodomini Wed 13-Nov-19 16:39:45

I tried Lipfinity and in no time at all, my lips came up in blisters and I had to get it off as quickly as possible. Just my bad luck.

Yogagran70 Wed 13-Nov-19 16:43:52

YouTube twominutetips. Sharon Danley beauty

Yogagran70 Wed 13-Nov-19 16:48:14

Maybelline superstay lipstick, the BEST

4allweknow Wed 13-Nov-19 17:54:56

Try Bobby Brown counter and they don't cost the earth. Usually get good advice and selection of type and colour for the seasons.

rafichagran Wed 13-Nov-19 18:58:17

Max Factor lipfinity for me also.

minxie Wed 13-Nov-19 19:21:20

Fill in your lip liner as well with liner and it gives great staying power

RomyP Wed 13-Nov-19 19:23:23

I like Bobby Brown products, is from same family of products as Estée Lauder and Clinique. I got a really nice item "Pot Rouge for Lips and Cheeks" in Pale Pink, looks brighter in tub than does on skin, bit expensive but the finish is lovely. Some of the younger looking brands are definitely worth a try.

Harris27 Wed 13-Nov-19 19:24:52

I like Avon lipsticks as well. Prefer pink to red try twinkle pink I love it.

hapgran Wed 13-Nov-19 19:31:01

Wow! Thank you everyone. Some great recommendations. I am spoilt for choice!

Merryweather Wed 13-Nov-19 21:28:36

I prefer clinique, loreal or lancome. But agree try a few at a variety of the makeup counters in Debenhams or Boots, normally you'll get a few samples to try at home if you're still undecided to try for a few days in various lighting with various outfits.
Have fun shopping x

Oz10 Wed 13-Nov-19 21:32:34

I go for cruelty free in all make up before I choose colours x

Eloethan Wed 13-Nov-19 21:59:08

Which cosmetic brands are cruelty-free please?

Tangerine Wed 13-Nov-19 22:06:21

Max Factor Lipfinity. It really does stay on.

marpau Thu 14-Nov-19 11:58:28

A touch of lipcote on top really helps