Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Lipstick!

(57 Posts)
hapgran Tue 12-Nov-19 12:56:09

Can anyone recommend a lipstick for the 'older' woman? I want one that is bright and glossy but doesn't show the lines in my lips. I have recently started using a lip liner which has helped but need the right lipstick to go on top!

giulia Tue 12-Nov-19 13:46:54

If you don't want your lipstick to "bleed", just use a lip primer - a liner won't make much difference.

DoraMarr Tue 12-Nov-19 14:20:16

I like going to the makeup counter at a department store. It’s a little bit of luxury, sitting on the stool and having someone help me choose the best lipstick. I usually try or four, but buy the one I like most. I have always found the assistants very knowledgeable, and I’m sure one could steer you towards the best type. For instance, I was advised to get a satin finish rather than gloss or matte. It’s their job to make you feel good!

Teetime Tue 12-Nov-19 14:35:27

Dior Addict 881 will exactly do the job - pricey but really nice.

hapgran Wed 13-Nov-19 08:21:12

Thank you for your replies- I may well try all of them!

Jennerdysphoria Wed 13-Nov-19 08:27:55

I find putting some lip balm on before the lipstick helps it go on smoothly and prevents it drying out or caking. I never wore lipstick in my youth, but now it adds the touch of colour that I need with hair and skin losing it!

Saxifrage Wed 13-Nov-19 09:54:20

I have never found any that are better than Max Factor Lipfinity. They really last very well and once applied carefully don't smudge or come off on cups and glasses. Still look pretty good after a meal as well.

Larsonsmum Wed 13-Nov-19 09:54:25

For decades I have stuck with Rimmel, as find them the absolute best. Have had expensive beuty house ones over the years, and not impressed at all. Give Rimmel a try.

Cp43 Wed 13-Nov-19 10:02:49

Lip pencils do work but be gentle or you’ll look like a drag queen. Clinique chubby sticks are lovely.

mrsgreenfingers56 Wed 13-Nov-19 10:09:13

Avon lipsticks are lovely, such a good range and if you use a primer underneath really last.

Dee1012 Wed 13-Nov-19 10:10:30

I'm a massive fan of Illamasqua if you have one nearby...great staying power and a huge range of colours/finishes. In a budget-friendly range, I like No 7.

Yogagran70 Wed 13-Nov-19 10:11:17

Maybelline Superstay lipstick, by far the best around, does not bleed, doesn’t come off on anything, recommend by an older make up lady in America, that I found online, who knows her stuff about make up for older ladies

Cambia Wed 13-Nov-19 10:17:32

Yogagran70 tell us who she is please!

GrannyMosh Wed 13-Nov-19 10:27:14

Some of the brands mentioned still use products tested on animals. If that bothers you, I recommend Urban Decay lip stain. Good strong colours which last all day. Created for a younger market (the shade names are a bit wild!), but I began using them in my late 40s after a makeover at Debenhams, and still have some. Easy to get different effects too, by using a softer shade over them. That will eventually go, but the stain will stay. Hope this helps!
Oh..and I've actually had strangers stop me (including a makeup demonstrator in Boots, one amazing time!) and ask me what makeup I was wearing or where I got it done. Doesn't happen nowadays, think I've managed to find time to wear it twice since I moved over here smile

Maremia Wed 13-Nov-19 10:37:50

Thanks GrannyMosh for the Urban Decay tip. Have never tried their products. Must find out about the 'primer' mentioned in other posts.

Amee Wed 13-Nov-19 10:48:44

To help stop lipstick bleeding/wandering, I add a dot of Rimmel blemish stick and using a cotton wool bud, gently blend out underneath my lower lip, close to the lip edge, (but on the actual skin beneath lip).

Abuelana Wed 13-Nov-19 10:53:08

You could also use a lip exfoliator to make sure your lips aren't dry.... there many available
This will give your lipstick a good chance of going on evenly.

Anni50 Wed 13-Nov-19 10:53:45

Try brendakinsel.com she answers all queries, really good website.
You can also follow her on Twitter and Facebook.

EllieB52 Wed 13-Nov-19 11:02:36

Doesn’t matter what I use, within 5 minutes it’s disappeared, even if put on in-store. I must eat it, lol.

HettyMaud Wed 13-Nov-19 11:06:34

Well, EllieB52, that's the point. We DO eat it. That's why I buy lipstick from a health shop or somewhere with good environmental credentials.

schnackie Wed 13-Nov-19 11:19:50

I'm with Saxifrage - Max Factor Lipfinity has been the only lipstick I've worn for more years than I care to count. It absolutely stays on, no bleeding into fine lines. I found a cinnamon colour that works well with my skin and haven't deviated. (I hate any change btw grin)

MooM00 Wed 13-Nov-19 12:35:30

I like Rimmel lipsticks quite bright colours. I don't use a lip primer the only things I use is a bit of makeup on my lips then Rimmel lip liner a dark one then lipstick, finally I use a product called lip cote which I put on top of the top and bottom lip line. My lipstick stays on all day even with eating and drinking and no bleeding.

Kayjay Wed 13-Nov-19 13:24:10

Bobbi Brown make an excellent range of lipsticks and their lovely make-up artists are very happy to test their different colours/ranges on you. I've been using them for years, and also use a matching (and I stress matching) lip liner to define edges.

NannyEm Wed 13-Nov-19 13:26:55

I'm with the ladies who wear Max Factor Lipfinity. I have a couple of the colours but always go back to a shade called Constantly Coral.

lizzypopbottle Wed 13-Nov-19 13:34:40

I tried out ME lipfinity