Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Overwhelmed by global issues

(29 Posts)
Apricity Wed 13-Nov-19 09:41:31

Dear lovely fellow Grans, how do you deal with feeling overwhelmed, depressed, and powerless by the news from everywhere?

Climate change, pollution, overconsumption, deafforestation, corruption and greed in every area of government and corporate activity, gross human rights abuses, social polarisation, widespread anger and aggression just to name a few issues. These are real and incredibly serious issues with far reaching consequences.

I think of myself as a positive person, a loving partner, mother and grandmother doing my best environmentally in my own small corner but at at times I feel so depressed about the world we live in and we are leaving to our precious grandchildren that I feel quite overwhelmed. I am acutely aware that by good luck I live in a relatively safe part of the world and do not have to deal with the truly horrendous issues that some people face.

Do other other Grans have these thoughts and how do you manage and deal with them?

Labaik Sat 16-Nov-19 16:44:57

Can I recommend a documentary I saw on BBC4 the other night to anyone worrying about how mankind is affecting nature. It's called The Serengeti Rules and is still on catchup. One of the most informative and uplifting documentaries I have ever seen; going to rewatch it tonight.

harrigran Sun 17-Nov-19 08:32:44

I do not spend all my time worrying about the world and the flora and fauna in it, thereby lies madness.

B9exchange Sun 17-Nov-19 13:38:06

Thanks Labaik for that, will see if I can catch it too.