Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What has been your favourite voluntary job?

(35 Posts)
Grammaretto Wed 13-Nov-19 17:18:22

I'm asking for a friend, truly, who wants to volunteer a day or two a week somewhere where she can make a difference.
She has taken early retirement so is still quite young and fit with few commitments because she lives alone.

She has lots of skills from cooking to admin but really I think she wants to be in a fairly busy environment. She doesn't want to work in a charity shop but apart from that, she is easy.

jeanie99 Thu 14-Nov-19 11:34:15

Sorry my favourite was taking disabled young people out sailing, absolutely loved it.

The joy on their faces when we sailed fast through the water was a delight to behold.

glammanana Thu 14-Nov-19 11:38:43

Registering with Age UK to help in their local offices advising people of the services available to them.
Going to the other end of the spectrum you could register at schools to help one to one with pupils who are experiencing problems and need that bit of extra help,very rewarding.

annodomini Thu 14-Nov-19 11:48:26

CAB adviser. I gained a certain amount of expertise through the excellent training and met a huge variety of people with many different problems, some easy to help with, others very difficult, but we never said 'impossible'. It was good to be able to help people to solve their own problems with a bit of advice from us.
I eventually gave up after 11 years, as the benefits system was becoming more and more complex and I had acquired polymyalgia rheumatica which left me very tired.

Judy54 Thu 14-Nov-19 14:55:44

Lots of opportunities out there to use existing skills or to develop new ones. I am with Grammaretto that often voluntary roles grow arms and legs and you are treated and expected to act like a paid member of staff. Just be careful what you look for and ask lots of questions to make sure it is right for you. Volunteering should be a two way process in that it is not only about what you put in but what you get out of it too. Many areas of volunteering have a high turn over especially in the charity sector, they appear to be good at recruiting but not retaining staff. That is because they don't spend time on induction or training, only consider the needs of the charity and not the needs of the volunteers. My experience as a Charity Trustee has been that often the Board are stuck in their ways, do not want input from a new Trustee but just want them to comply with how things have always been done. Sorry not for me anymore!

suzette1613 Thu 14-Nov-19 18:04:51

I help with RDA, love the ponies and horses and the children and few adults we have all seem to get so much benefit from riding, it doesn`t matter if they don`t progress.
You don`t have to be a `horsey` person, lots are there to help with the riders.

kaycee Thu 14-Nov-19 19:26:26

I have enjoyed volunteering in a charity shop and in the library because it means lots of interaction with people. But perhaps the most rewarding is as a befriender to disadvantaged youngsters - giving them a few hours a week just for them away from their troubles is amazing.

genie10 Fri 15-Nov-19 20:23:00

I used to listen to children read at the local junior school a couple of afternoons a week and that was really nice. I got to know the children and was sometimes asked if I'd help on days out too.

Fennel Sat 16-Nov-19 19:59:27

genie I would like to do that too.
My early voluntary jobs were similar - I used to support children one to one who had learning problems.

Cabbie21 Sat 16-Nov-19 23:30:51

Another vote for Citizens Advice. I have been doing this for over ten years and it still ticks lots of boxes for me.
I go in two days a week, which gives me a pattern to my week. There is excellent training, then you continue to learn on the job. You meet people from all walks of life, clients and colleagues. There are more volunteers than paid staff, and you get tremendous support from the staff supervisors, I enjoy using my computer skills and developing my knowledge and skills. Above all, it gives me the opportunity to help people who really need it. (I do a lot of Personal Independence Payment claims and Appeals)