Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Which son for Christmas?

(78 Posts)
Jillybird Mon 18-Nov-19 23:00:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

V3ra Wed 04-Dec-19 18:09:32

At least you're not trying to decide which one to spend Christmas with between two sons who don't get on!
Our daughter and older son had a major falling out recently and really don't like each other. Completely different personalities. Breaks my heart but it's time to stop trying to paper over the cracks. (The younger son gets on fine with both his sister and brother).
This year we're not due to spend the holiday together anyway but I can see it's going to be a problem in future years: she has her own house, a partner and our only grandchild, both sons are single with nowhere else to go.
I vote for going to visit your sister, while you can. You will have lots of exciting stories to tell your grandchildren when you return.

MylittleCherubs Sun 01-Dec-19 10:58:58

Stop worrying and go , your son with the grandchildren will fully understand and TBH ( in a nice way ) your GC will be far too busy to miss you.
Enjoy time away with your other son as I am sure he will appreciate time with his mum. We never know how long we are on this planet so go and enjoy why you can . Explain to your son that he needs to carry your bags , but I’m sure he will anyway , this will make the journey easier for.

Make some memories and next year try and get all the family together ( including your single son) , it’s only one day.

I’m spending Christmas Day with my step daughter , daughter , son and all 4 GC (Oh and husbands ex - wife of 30 years ) so if we can do this for one day for the GC they will have fond memories. Good luck x

AlgeswifeVal Sun 01-Dec-19 09:43:02

It’s an easy decision to make. You travel with your single son to spend time with your sister. Do it, while you can and have the opportunity and with his assistance. You should share your time and your single son needs you this time.

billericaylady Fri 22-Nov-19 06:53:02

Awwww I agree that u should go ...you can face time your other son and his Family on the day and celebrate another christmas when u return..your Grandchildren will love that ♡

MaryFinn Wed 20-Nov-19 14:19:40

My maternal grandma and grandad always went to my aunty's when she had children. She was younger than my Mum and waited to have children and we were the only grandchildren for a long time, but Mum was only invited once to her Mum's for Christmas when my older brother was little and before I was born. When her sister had children, then they always went there. I have, therefore, no memories of my grandma at Christmas, only one year when I remember her giving us some presents at our house. Hence, please go and see your sister and nephew, niece and children and younger son. When he has children, I'm sure you'll want to go and see them. Your older son and children will have to get used to it! Sure they won't mind. And, as others have said, you can always go and see him at New Year.

Kathy1959 Wed 20-Nov-19 10:01:02

What a blessing it has been to see this thread. Everyone has been helpful and supportive, and even those with differing views have been allowed to express them without being hauled over the coals for it. I generally will have a knee jerk type reaction to a post, and that forms my opinion. However, I always enjoy reading the opposing view, and I often can see that as well. Thank you everyone for renewing my confidence in gransnet. There are some threads running at the moment, that have just become plain nasty, and that’s not why I joined.

Joplin Tue 19-Nov-19 23:55:47

No brainier - your younger son has missed out possibly more than you know. Your older son should be urging you to go. Your grandchildren will have plenty of things to occupy themselves with & there's always another time. But maybe not for you & your younger son together. Who knows what the future might hold.

B9exchange Tue 19-Nov-19 22:54:08

I agree, follow your heart and go with your younger son, he can help with your luggage and support you, you will have a great time. You will have to have the conversation with your older son and his family, but if you explain it to him as you have to us, he would be selfish not to be happy for you on this one occasion. Plan to have a second Christmas with his family when you get back!

As you know, you are very lucky to be offered the choice, I have just found out that one son and family will be travelling to visit another son and family and we are not to be invited to join them. We have spent every Christmas since he was born with one son, and nearly every Christmas with the other, yes, really lucky, but now it really really hurts that we have been excluded!

I rejoice for you that you have this choice, and my heart aches for all those who will be spending Christmas Day apart from the family members they love.

Hithere Tue 19-Nov-19 22:43:55

Why stress so much?
Christmas is supposed to be a fun time.

Tangerine Tue 19-Nov-19 21:35:28

Go with your single son. You may be in a worse position physically in the years to come and will be able to stay at home then.

I am sure your married son will understand. Possibly your single son needs you more and your sister will love to see you.

GagaJo Tue 19-Nov-19 20:17:22

You said yourself. It will be the last time you will be able to travel. You should go. It is one year.

EthelJ Tue 19-Nov-19 20:15:00

I think you should go to your sisters with your single son. The journey can be a lovely bonding time and you can visit your sister when as you say you might not get the chance again.
Perhaps you can have another late or early Christmas with your other son and your grandchildren. Save the presents etc for that other special extra Christmas.
But only you can answer the question really. Just go with your instinct. Make the decision either way and then you will feel better.

GofT Tue 19-Nov-19 18:56:08

We also have two sons and Christmas Day is a moveable feast; the date is almost irrelevant! It's just one day and something that happens whenever we can all manage to get together. It may be sometime in the lead up to Christmas or perhaps the week afterward; one year it was in April! My husband was a submariner, likewise our younger son and the elder son is a police officer, so it has always been tricky trying to co-ordinate diaries. It is a balancing act trying to suit everyone. I hope you get some clarity reading all of these.

ExperiencedNotOld Tue 19-Nov-19 18:41:57

There’s always FaceTime or Skype to allow you to enjoy some of your grandchildren’s joy.

Barbsk Tue 19-Nov-19 18:28:58

It would be good if your older son could make it easier for you by encouraging you to spend this Christmas with your Sister as he been so lucky to have spent the last 16 years with you on Christmas Day.
What ever you decide, hope you and you family have a great fun Christmas ?

Harris27 Tue 19-Nov-19 18:10:21

I do think you should go and maybe arrange another time with your other son and his family. You might regret it if you don’t go.

harrysgran Tue 19-Nov-19 18:01:26

I would go with your younger son as you say it might be your last chance I'm sure your older son will understand and they say a change is as good as a rest

TrazzerMc Tue 19-Nov-19 17:38:58

Couldn’t you say to your sister that you would miss your grandchildren too much but would be delighted to visit with younger son in the new year or whenever he is able to take time off work to go . Sounds like a win win to me x

Notthatoldyet9 Tue 19-Nov-19 17:24:19

Def. Sister and other son who always misses out

Solonge Tue 19-Nov-19 17:05:38

Years ago when our children were small, my in-laws used to Christmas with us....well 18 out of 23 years they did. On the odd occasion they went to one of their other four children, my kids understood and grandparents would come for a week a bit later on, for New Year. So it was like having two Christmases. My children understood that sometimes granny and grandpa wanted to be with their daughter, eldest or youngest son for a change. Honestly, you are suffering more than anyone else in this situation, go with son number 2 this year and visit the others at New Year. They won’t love you any less and your younger son is entitled to the odd Christmas with his mum too.

Granmaz Tue 19-Nov-19 16:41:01

I agree with everyone else, definitely go with younger son, you’ll have a fab time and younger son deserves to spend some quality time with you too. Your elder son and family will be there when you get back so you could have a delayed Christmas celebration with them if you wanted to but I’m sure they will completely understand your decision. Have a wonderful Christmas whatever you decide, how amazing to have the choice of two venues smile

Moira54 Tue 19-Nov-19 16:39:40

Christmas is only a date, go to your sister’s have another celebration with your son and his family on another day.

EllanVannin Tue 19-Nov-19 16:23:08

Believe it or not, I spent Christmas Eve with my family in Oz, then got a flight home from there in the afternoon of Christmas Eve there , and landed in Manchester on Christmas Eve here in the UK to spend the rest of Christmas here. So I had the enjoyment of both families during celebrations.

I was worn out and jet-lagged, hahahaha. Couldn't do that now.

Oopsminty Tue 19-Nov-19 16:18:13

Haha, MOnica

I agree!

Helenlouise3 Tue 19-Nov-19 15:58:08

I wouldn't hesitate about this. I'd sit down with son no 1 and his wife and tell them that you've had 16 wonderful Christmases with them and anticipate more in the future, but this year, you've had a wonderful offer to visit your sister. Explain that as you're starting to struggle with your health, you'd like to go in case you won't get another opportunity. Suggest that you'll face time the grandchildren on Christmas morning and suggest that perhaps you could have a lovely get together when you return. Neither of my children mind where we spend Christmas day, but at some point in the holiday, we all get together here for a lovely day of eating and playing games. I'm sure that son no 1 will be very understanding and I'm sure he wouldn't be wanting to see you struggling with this dilemma.