Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What time do you get up?

(110 Posts)
kircubbin2000 Thu 21-Nov-19 08:59:10

For the last month I haven't been well so my usual routine of going for a swim between 8 to 9 has been cancelled. It's quite nice to be able to stay in bed until after 9 and I have been spending the mornings reading the paper and watching tv. It will be hard to get back into my old routine.

merlotgran Thu 21-Nov-19 09:59:14

The dogs wake us up at 7am. I used to take a cup of tea back to bed but now I stay up, read the papers online and watch a bit of breakfast telly before getting on with some housework.

Framilode Thu 21-Nov-19 09:59:14

I was up at 5 today as the dog on my bed was making me feel cramped. I will have a zizz this afternoon and go to bed about 10.30.

Fernbergien Thu 21-Nov-19 10:06:09

Trying to train myself to stop thinking that it not good to sleep in until nearly 9. After all I am retired! I woke just after 8.30 today.

mischief Thu 21-Nov-19 10:11:21

Heating comes on at 8am so whatever time I wake up I watch tv till after 8am then get up. After reading some of your posts I might start nipping downstairs and making a coffee to take my first tablet, then going back to bed. If I wait till I get up to take my tablet I have to wait an hour before I can eat. Thanks for the tip.

shysal Thu 21-Nov-19 10:18:43

I go to bed at around 11pm and wake without fail between 3 and 4am. I try to stay in bed for a while but get up between 4.30 and 5. I then have a read in the bath to pass some time before walking the bulk of my 10,000 daily steps. I know that this is not considered to be sufficient sleep, so I tend to have '40 winks' during the day or while watching Masterchef, which is the main programme that makes me nod off!

I have been an early riser all my life and did a morning newspaper round in my teenage years.

Pantglas2 Thu 21-Nov-19 10:19:56

I always imagined lolling abed once I’d retired, possibly until mid morning, but it simply hasn’t happened!

All those years of getting to work by 8am seem to have diminished my lolling abilities to the point now that I’m always up by 9am even on days when I’m not trotting to the gym - I feel cheated!

Kimrus Thu 21-Nov-19 10:20:25

The thought of sleeping in would do my head in. I rise about 4am and back in bed by 1030pm. I find the 4am start for the day is perfect, can tread the newspaper in peace, the washing goes on as does the dryer and ready to walk out the back doormat 530am and start my days with my rescued livestock. I have been retired for a number of years and until I started collecting animals was bored. I do have a quiet time where I sit down for about 2 hrs in middle of day, but I am catching up on the family gossip and doing emails

grandtanteJE65 Thu 21-Nov-19 10:23:10

I looked forward to years to retirement and being able to get up when I wanted.

The reality is that if I don't get up at seven or thereabouts I have a blinding headache all day. The days of sleeping all forenoon are definitely over.

arosebyanyothername Thu 21-Nov-19 10:23:54

Both retired so any time between 8 and 9.
We take turns making tea then bring it back to bed. I get up after the news or when I’ve caught up with GN.
OH takes ages if he gets in the bathroom first so no need for me to rush.

kircubbin2000 Thu 21-Nov-19 10:34:26

I dont feel so bad now but surprised how many of you wake early.I thought 8 was early!

nipsmum Thu 21-Nov-19 10:42:02

I am usually up about 8 am. The dogs get their last walk at 9 or slightly later so really need out by 9 am. I don't like dark mornings but at this time of year in the north of Scotland it is still not very light at 8 am.

Stella14 Thu 21-Nov-19 10:46:10

Our alarm is usually set for 10am, earlier if we have something planned that morning. We are retired and we’re night owls (always have been really). We also have dogs, but that is their routine too (night owl dogs)!

Graygirl Thu 21-Nov-19 10:47:48

Like to stay up late last night 12.45 up at 9ish just going to get dressed, like to have coffee and food before getting dressed . Only thing is take thyroid meds keep them beside bed so when I wake for a couple of minutes when neighbours to to work take them

Magicmaggie Thu 21-Nov-19 10:50:44

I’m another one who takes Piriton at night to help them sleep.
Hetty58 I’ll look into the Melatonin gummies thanks for
mentioning them??

Phoebes Thu 21-Nov-19 10:53:38

It depends on whether I have to go out or not, usually around 8.15. My husband gets up at 7.30 and feeds the cats (they like breakfast to be on time!) then we have a cup of tea in bed and read the paper until around 8.15.

loopylou Thu 21-Nov-19 10:54:13

I wake up between 5.30 & 6.00, occasionally a little later but never after 7.30, years of farming and nursing have programmed me forever ?
I'm definitely a lark and am in bed by 9pm then read for an hour. I don't sleep well because of my breathlessness and I wish I could catnap- I find it impossible to sleep unless in bed and it's dark outside.

I'd feel guilty staying in bed - completely illogical as I am retired!

Magicmaggie Thu 21-Nov-19 10:56:25

Graygirl
Just noticed that you’ve posted before me.
I too take thyroid tablets by my bed, as my doctor told me
to take them first thing and then leave some time before
taking blood pressure tablets.

Cambia Thu 21-Nov-19 11:00:06

Wake up at 6am (years of early mornings) but absolutely love having a cup of tea and reading the paper until eight. Feels like such luxury!

Happygirl79 Thu 21-Nov-19 11:03:25

After working full time for almost 50 years and having to rise by 6 30 latest its a real luxury to rise at 9 a m now I'm retired! In fact it's bliss in this cold winter weather to be tucked up warm in my bedroom while the commuters are travelling out there to work.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Thu 21-Nov-19 11:05:49

I try to be up, washed and dressed before ten at the latest and mostly manage it. Today, after a tiring few days, I'm running late - still in my pyjamas I'm afraid. That will be put right shortly.

Urmstongran Thu 21-Nov-19 11:13:34

It varies. If I’m wide awake I spring out of bed and put the kettle on. If I’m tired I end up sleeping until I’ve had enough. Bliss! No guilty feelings from me, whatever I do.

Calendargirl Thu 21-Nov-19 11:18:34

I wake up about 6am, sometimes get up then, sometimes 6.30ish. Like to get my breakfast quietly on my own, listening to Classic FM, reading the weekend supplements, they last all week, check my banking, e mails, look at Gransnet. Preferably all before DH gets up 7.30ish.
Cannot imagine staying in bed until 9 o’clock unless I were ill, in fact DH would know something was wrong if I didn’t want to get up. Seems a waste of a day really. But I am definitely a lark, no desire to be out at night or late to bed.
Each to his or her own, when you’re retired, it’s up to you.

Anthea1948 Thu 21-Nov-19 11:23:00

When I worked I averaged 4 hours a night sleep. Then I developed Rheumatoid Arthritis and switched straight to 12 hours sleep. Then the meds kicked in and controlled the RA to a degree. Now, if I'm in a lot of pain I can still sleep the clock round, but as a rule I average between 6 and 8 hours a night, but often doze once I'm awake, sometimes not getting up until 10 or 11. But I do stay up latish, often not sleeping until about 1.00 am.

HannahLoisLuke Thu 21-Nov-19 11:25:08

I'm usually awake anytime between 3.30 am and 5am but don't get out of bed u til about 7, go down and take tablets with glass of milk then back to bed, listen to radio, browse iPad and catnap until 9 ish.
Any longer and I too feel guilty, even though I'm retired and have no dog to walk.

Jan51 Thu 21-Nov-19 11:34:38

I usually wake up about 7.30 when the neighbour opposite drives off to work. Always need the loo and as that means going downstairs it doesn't seem worth going back to bed so make a cup of tea and sit in the living room on my tablet, working through several games I have with daily challenges (suduko, jigsaws, marjong, solitaire etc) and checking facebook.