Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

How to say no to Dogs after breakup

(68 Posts)
MylittleCherubs Thu 28-Nov-19 18:25:43

I’m new to gransnet and would like some help with a dilemma.
Our daughter has 2 very small babies and the father after many years together has just decided he no longer wants to be in a relationship. This has only just happened and we are trying to support our daughter through this as she is still very young and she and our grandchildren have just moved back home with us. Reconciliation with her partner does not appear to be an option. The children are only age 18 months and 3 months and obviously this is very upsetting for her but she is committed to “ getting on with it” as her children are her priority.
Obviously we are helping a lot especially in the early days and luckily the babies are very good and sleep well.
We are in our early 50’s and both still work but our biggest problem is that our daughter wants to move her two large dogs in with us too and although we are not against animals, we already have 2 small dogs of our own and a cat. I feel it would be too much to cope with and unfair to our existing pets.

We have worked hard to have have a nice home and we can accommodate my daughter and grandchildren so hopefully they will have a stable home. She will in time move into her own house but she needs help at the moment especially as they are so young.
My opinion of their father I am unable to post on here and frankly I don’t want to waste my breath on him BUT my daughter is in bits regarding leaving her dogs behind and as she has had these for years she is really upset and keeps saying they will be good , she will look after them and clean up their mess etc .... BUT we really don’t want them and she is struggling to accept that and thinks she can probably win us round.
These are very large dogs compared to ours also.

Her partner says he’s not having them either , so the guilt trip is starting to happen and I don’t know how true this is - he will still be seeing the children ( well until that novelty wears off too !).

Please has anyone any advise to help our daughter understand that it’s not practical for us to have the dogs as well as our own pets and although none of this is her fault we are struggling with adding to her stress by not having the dogs - she is still in hope that we will have them. I really don’t know how to say a firm and fair no , one that she will accept and understand anyway without breaking down in tears.

Thank you for any advice you can give .

FlexibleFriend Thu 28-Nov-19 21:17:40

Do the Parents want her there for the next twenty years? The sooner she gets on the list the sooner she'll be housed especially as the children are so young.

MylittleCherubs Thu 28-Nov-19 21:44:00

No - the dad of my grandkids lives in his mums house and his mum lives in another county hence my daughter living their until breakup - sorry to confuse

MylittleCherubs Thu 28-Nov-19 21:46:47

smile

jura2 Thu 28-Nov-19 21:47:12

How difficult. When our daughter was battling for survival in a nasty, violent relationship abroad- the only thing that helped her get away was that we agreed to take in her beloved dog. I am so happy we could help her and give him a wonderful last 3 years of life- and her being able to visit.

But in your case, it just seems impossible- so you have to sit her down and work a plan out. Difficult for sure.

MylittleCherubs Thu 28-Nov-19 21:58:02

Thank you everyone, the dogs being with children have never been an issue as they are well trained and daughter works with dogs too , hence the issue of parting from them .

THANK YOU for all your help as we have come to a compromise where she can still see the dogs 2 days a week when dad has children and we will watch GG whilst she takes them out for a few hrs on a Sunday. She was not happy at 1st but we kept firm that we will not home them as it’s unfair to the cats especially and it’s our home . Partner has also agreed and like the GG the dogs are their joint responsibility and neither of them want them re-homed.
She’s actually smiling now smile

FlexibleFriend Thu 28-Nov-19 22:00:33

Well done x

jura2 Thu 28-Nov-19 22:01:24

Excellent.

MylittleCherubs Thu 28-Nov-19 22:04:44

Hi they both work and she is on maternity leave , also saving for own home so she will get her own place when she’s settled and back in work. Youngest child is not quite 3 months old yet so she does not want to live on her own just yet

MylittleCherubs Thu 28-Nov-19 22:06:14

Thank you wine

GagaJo Thu 28-Nov-19 22:09:00

I was on the list for 13 years, was about to be made homeless and STILL wasn't housed. WITH my dependent daughter. The lists are too long and there are too few houses. Too many sold off by the Tories

SirChenjin Fri 29-Nov-19 07:38:06

Oh that’s great news MylittleCherubs - you must be so relieved that it’s all worked out well smile

Agree GagaJo - the days of getting a council house just because you have young children (esp if you’re not homeless) are long gone, and the absolute best you can hope for is emergency accommodation in B&Bs. I know of people with young children who have been on there for many, many years - it’s terrible.

Yehbutnobut Fri 29-Nov-19 08:09:22

Such a sad situation. So many dogs are having to be rehomed due to broken relationships.

Yehbutnobut Fri 29-Nov-19 08:10:26

Glad a compromise has been reached.

Tedber Fri 29-Nov-19 09:26:52

Glad it’s all sorted as much as can be.

Just jumping in to say your daughter and children should stay put if they haven’t already left! If/when grandma comes back and requests them to leave they would become homeless through no fault of their own and be priority case with council.

Living with you could mean she is with you for years! Doesn’t seem to matter how overcrowded you may be! Well THAT is how it seems to work with my local council! Others may be different. I wouldn’t leave a home voluntarily though even if she spends a lot of time with you.

Tedber Fri 29-Nov-19 09:28:48

Oops just re read and she has already left - ignore my useless post. Hope it all works out x

MiniDriver56 Fri 29-Nov-19 10:23:26

What a dilemma MyLittleCherubs! Personally I would insist she finds someone to care for the dogs, easier said then done I know. I wouldn’t entertain the dogs, but I would explain you are happy to help her with the children as much as possible. If she is struggling with the children the dogs are not helping her. The break up with her partner is heartbreaking for her and if he isn’t taking any responsibility it’s even more hard on you all. Make it clear you cannot take on the dogs.

ReadyMeals Fri 29-Nov-19 11:07:46

OMG I don't think I could even cope with my OWN small dogs with that many people and babies in the house!!! grin

ananimous Fri 29-Nov-19 11:08:47

@MyLittleCherubs Oh great news and well done!

jaylucy Fri 29-Nov-19 11:20:56

I'd certainly seek advice from the Dogs Trust. It's unfair to your own pets to take 2 large dogs in to your house. Also, when your daughter decides it is time to find a place of her own,she will have great difficulty finding a rental home that will accept dogs , doesn't matter how well behaved they are.
From the sounds of it, her ex partner just wants her and anything to do with her out of his life, having been through something similar, I can say that if he can find something to blame her for or hurt her more , he will, including who has their pets. Otherwise there is very little reason, in my view why he can't still take care of the dogs and allow her visitation rights!
Sorry, but you are going to have to be tough with her, however hard it is as it is your home. If no other friends or relatives will take in the dogs, they may well have to be rehomed.

jaylucy Fri 29-Nov-19 11:23:38

Oops sorry, just read through the comments again and so glad that a compromise has been reached.
Where is the delete option for comments when you need one ?

sandelf Fri 29-Nov-19 11:39:14

She is one exceptionally lucky woman to have a ready made home willing and able to accept her and two children. Dogs as well?...

Nannan2 Fri 29-Nov-19 12:09:57

Yes im with Hetty58,surely she has a home already? Can she not stay in that if she wants to keep her dogs?(theres help with housing benefit for single parents) Or if they are having to sell the home can she find a smaller accomadation to buy or rent? You really cant cave in on this,tell her straight,you cant cope with all of them with large dogs too,so you might have to find a way to help her get different accommodation.other single mums survive on their own even with young children.and dogs.hmm

TrendyNannie6 Fri 29-Nov-19 12:11:30

So glad you have come to a compromise

Nannan2 Fri 29-Nov-19 12:16:04

Well done lets hope the solution works well!(i now see she "works with dogs" so could someone in her working environment have helped temporary with the dogs also?perhaps something to consider if arrangement with hubby breaks down?) Seems a bit though like the couple care for dogs more than babieshmm

Kartush Fri 29-Nov-19 12:27:05

I don’t know about where you live but here our council only allow 2 dogs on any property (I live in Australia) ....regardless I think your daughter should get her priorities in order, you are already giving her and your grandchildren a home and probably helping her out financially, expecting you to take on two large dogs is not fair. Trying to coerce you is also not fair.
If she has no friends who can take them in the short term then she will have to look at finding permanent new homes for them. It is hard, I know but if she is going to eventually stand on her own as a single mother with two small children the chances are that she will be unable to afford to keep them