Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Spending significant birthday alone- ideas?

(32 Posts)
ineedamum Wed 01-Jan-20 11:38:29

This year, I will have a significant birthday and will be alone. I always find birthdays difficult, and this year will be no different.

I'm thinking of going away, any ideas of a fairly cheap getaway? Perhaps you have other ideas?

Dinahmo Sat 04-Jan-20 13:47:08

My OH hates being reminded that it's his birthday and he often doesn't remember it until it's passed. He prefers me not to remember it. We rarely buy each other presents these days but sometimes one of us might see something the other would really like - but that could be any other time of the year.

I think that going on holiday with a group would be better because whilst you can do stuff on your own during the day it's nice to be able to talk to people over dinner or in the hotel bar, before or after dinner.

A few years ago we went to Sicily with Brightwater and there were some single people in the group. Everybody was friendly and nobody was left out. I can recommend them as they cover different interests but I've recently thought they were a bit expensive.

Have you thought about joining U3A? Friends in different parts of the country are members and enjoy the activities that they participate in.

crazyH Sat 04-Jan-20 14:01:35

Happy Birthday ineedamum!!
I'm like you....hate going anywhere on my own. Since my divorce, I have been on a couple of holidays with my widowed friend. But to be honest, I wish I was brace enough to go away on my own.

rubysong Sat 04-Jan-20 16:06:52

Have look at HF holidays. They are often in nice places and have organised activities, walks etc. I think they cater for single people.

ineedamum Sat 04-Jan-20 19:48:15

I remember an acquaintance saying he doesn't like single people being on cruises as his wife feels obliged to speak to them and spend the holiday with them!!

M0nica Sat 04-Jan-20 20:21:26

would it look strange if I was alone? ..... ^ as I do feel shame at travelling alone.^ !?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Why?

I started eating out alone in my mid teens and travelling by myself, including international journeys, when I was in my late teens and have done it ever since. Even though I am married and mainly travel with DH I still go off on short breaks at times, following interests he does not share. My sister and husband sometimes holiday apart for weeks at a time, because he prefers winter sun and she prefers snow.

You say your funds are limited, depending on your interests, and the date of your birthday, why not a weekend break in a historic town? Most historic towns have hundreds of little B&Bs, many in the town centre and you will see lots of other single people about, restaurants will be busy so that you can melt into the crowd and there will be much for you to do during the day - and theatres, and other entertainments in the evening.

If your funds can stretch beyond that, why not a city break in Europe. You can travel by train or car and there are a lot of agencies running short break trips, with travel and accommodation booked and transport between hotel and airport/railway station. Brussels, Ghent, Brugges, Paris, Amsterdam are all just a short journey away.

V3ra Sat 04-Jan-20 21:00:01

My 35 year old single son regularly takes himself off for a few days away by himself! I admire him for not feeling he can't go as he has no-one to go with.
My 89 year old widower Dad told us he has three holidays booked for the new year: a cruise to the Baltics, a trip to Scotland and a river cruise to the Danube. These are all through a company called Johnsons.
We reminded him he was also coming to Lanzarote with us but he said that doesn't really count lol!