Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

DD returning to work

(53 Posts)
Luckygirl Sat 04-Jan-20 11:04:12

You will love this! DD3's two children were with me one day a week from 9 months till they went to school - and I still pick them up from school two days a week and bring them back here for tea.

It is such a precious thing to me and I have a very close relationship with them. There are grandma things that happen - they love the rituals. When they arrive here from school they have a "milky bottle" (I know - they are too old but it is a sort of grandma treat) and we cuddle up on the sofa and read for an hour - we are currently working our way through Thee Princess and the Goblin.

Like you, I did worry to start with - and it is a huge responsibility. But you will soon clue in to her habits and traits - you will know whether she can be trusted with certain things; how to keep her happy and safe.

There are rules at my house that they know - e.g. do not run on the decking when it is wet, no going into the front garden etc. They have had occasional mishaps, as little ones always do, but I am more obsessional about their safety than I ever was about my DC.

And I have reverted to my own rules that held good when my own were little - no pans on the front rings of the hob etc.

This is such a privilege and a treat for you - savour it - they seem to grow up blooming fast!!

Calendargirl Sat 04-Jan-20 10:59:51

Don’t run yourself down. I bet you were just as good a mum as your daughter. It does seem a big responsibility looking after grandchildren, but you will be fine. It helps that you have a happy relationship with your GD, and she already goes to nursery so is used to being away from her mummy.
Enjoy your time with her, it will fly by, before you know it she will be starting school!

glammagran Sat 04-Jan-20 10:53:01

On Monday DD starts a new part-time job for the first time since having DGD now aged 16 months. She will be with other grandparents on Mondays, us on Tuesdays and nursery on Wednesdays which she has been going to for 3 months. She is very used to us as we see her a couple of times a week and we have a very good relationship and she is an absolute joy.

However, for some reason I’m feeling very anxious about the responsibility. I feel responsible not just for her but to her parents which is a different feeling to being a parent. We have just purchased a car seat and I’m even nervous about driving with her. I certainly wasn’t an anxious mother. DD is an extremely good mother, better than I was.

Any tips from other grandmothers who’ve looked after GC for the first time would be greatly appreciated. I really want to look after her and appreciate it will be tiring and it is only one day a week but may well include her nursery day on occasions if she is not well enough to attend.