Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Holidays for solo traveller

(37 Posts)
NanaSuzy Wed 15-Jan-20 09:49:26

Hi, has anyone got any recommendations for a company offering safe holidays for solo travellers? Possibly with a music theme (Classical), but open to any suggestions.

CassieJ Wed 15-Jan-20 09:59:03

Have your tried solosholidays.co.uk? There do several different holidays.
It is something I am looking into as I am single, but don't really want to holiday on my own.

Bellanonna Wed 15-Jan-20 10:08:12

I know someone who goes on themed holidays with Just You and finds them very good.
I have been on HF holidays and I know they offer some which are music-themed and can include visits to concerts. Have a look at their brochure on line.

Lucca Wed 15-Jan-20 10:12:35

www.solosholidays.co.uk/
I’ve been on one of their activity holidays. Not cheap but I had a fantastic time. It’s not a “singles” as in looking for love, just for like minded people who enjoy playing tennis golf etc.

clementine Wed 15-Jan-20 19:58:23

Travel Department are excellent for solo travellers. Within a day you are part of the group and everyone gets on very well. You can mix as much or as little as you like.

Tangerine Wed 15-Jan-20 19:59:42

Solo or Just You. Both these firms are very good.

quizqueen Wed 15-Jan-20 20:04:37

Saga and Jules Verne also do, or used to do, some exclusively solo holiday dates. I've been with Just You many times and would recommend them too.

Cabbie21 Wed 15-Jan-20 21:48:02

Run by singers do singing holidays. High standard. Not cheap, and you have to make your own travel arrangements.

SANDY2020 Wed 15-Jan-20 23:23:52

Following!

Humbertbear Thu 16-Jan-20 07:11:45

Riviera, who I think are one of the best tour operators, now offer a selection of their tours for solo travellers.

BlueSapphire Thu 16-Jan-20 07:22:00

As do Titan, who I am going with in April. And also One Traveller, but I haven't tried them yet.

eGJ Thu 16-Jan-20 10:09:42

Try One Traveller; this year they have a number of music related holidays. Opera in Verona, Andre Rieu in Saxony & the Vienna Woods, Andrea Boccelli in Tuscany Beethoven in Bonn, Puccini Festival in Tuscany and Rossini & San Marina!!

Just a few to choose from NanaSuzy
www.onetraveller.co.uk

A good well organised company catering well for those travelling solo (who had a competition on GN not so long ago.

Paperbackwriter Thu 16-Jan-20 10:14:49

If there's something you like doing, such as yoga, painting or writing, there are lots of retreat holidays for that and loads of lone travellers go on them.

Phloembundle Thu 16-Jan-20 10:16:32

Just You.

Coconut Thu 16-Jan-20 10:22:11

I’ve now been on 6 x Just You holidays and only complained about 1, the rest were really good and I’ve made 2 more really special friends who I shared the holidays with. I did the Jazz tour Chicago to New Orleans, then the Carnival in Rio, then 4 trips to Italy, the Riviera, Puglia, Venetian River Cruise and Lake Como. None of my long term friends have my wanderlust, so this is just perfect for me.

polnan Thu 16-Jan-20 10:22:27

oh gosh, I do so admire you, envy you.. I am recently widowed and elderly, not really looking for holiday, I have my cat to care for..

I can`t even go eat a meal on my own,, have had a coffee a couple of times.. I hate going about on my own, why? I feel that I am not wanted... understand?

patricia1958 Thu 16-Jan-20 10:29:16

I always have my holiday on my own and wouldn't have it any other way I prefer a cruise for a week it is a bit expensive but everything's is included they have lots of different night entertainment and because your in a different port each day they organise different kinds of excursions at a good price or you can get the free bus into the town I always seem to make a few friends so come away happy I cruise with tui their ships dont put tips on your bill at the end they leave that upto you and also there is no posh dress code so at night you can just wear what you would on a night out at home hope this helps

Connor13 Thu 16-Jan-20 10:49:02

Hi I'm on my own travelled with saga holiday company for years love it

sarahellenwhitney Thu 16-Jan-20 10:57:27

A cruise is ideal for a single traveller and it doesn't have to be one that advertises for singles and I found the best time to meet people is when the ship is at sea and every one is together. I was never at a loss for company.

Aepgirl Thu 16-Jan-20 11:18:44

I have been on two holidays organised by Solos. The holidays were good and well run. However, the promise of no single supplement is a way of disguising the fact that these holidays have that built into the price, and are quite expensive.

NannaToon Thu 16-Jan-20 11:59:27

Leger holidays offer travel for solo travellers. Mainly by coach I think. I ha e fine several trips with them (not solo) and they are very well organised. I know someone who has done one and she loved it. I suggest trying a short break first to see if you like it.

Noname Thu 16-Jan-20 12:11:12

After my divorce I used Friendship Travel who were very good and I had some very enjoyable holidays!

ALANaV Thu 16-Jan-20 12:24:22

I always used to book my own solo holiday ….flight, hotel and car hire …..but now I am ancient I have just been to Germany with Leger, am going solo to the Arctic with Fred Olsen (lots of lovely things to do ...but my Ins co won't let me ride a snowmobile ...even though I have driving licence ...so am going to the Igloo hotel for one night, a helicopter ride over the territory, dog sledding (my ins co says ONLY if I have a driver and a crash helmet !) reindeer 'experience' (?) plus lots of others ...some I couldn'e have as they overlap but might do the Antarctic later in the year with a better hope of seeing the elusive Northern Lights I am going on a tour of Russia and Scandinavia in July, and just considering whether to book Japan for November or wait for cherry blossom next year. Desperately wanted to book for Samarkand silk route and Saudi Arabia ...just opened for tourism BUT with the situation in Iran and the fact it borders Uzbekistan the Foreign office may be jittery about travelling there until the situation is better known ….GO FOR IT ...start with a little cruise round the British Isles, a train journey, or a coach trip ...sometimes no one speaks to you, sometimes they do ...does't bother me as I just do my own thing (including leaping (well, not so much LEAPING) on a local bus or train ...you can always write your hotel name down ...they will tell you which bus etc you need for wherever you want to go and come back ! good luck

Bluebird64 Thu 16-Jan-20 12:35:46

I've been travelling solo to the Scottish Highlands by coach with Lochs & Glens for a few years now. There is no single-person supplement (unlike with Shearings) and there are always other solo travellers, mostly women, to chat to. It's always friendly and all the 3-star hotels are clean and pleasant and in beautiful locations, and the food is good too. There are daily excursions to equally beautiful places but you can do your own thing instead if you want, as long as you let the coach driver know beforehand. It's very reasonable in price and an excellent way to discover Western Scotland. Look at the website lochs.com for more info.

LuckyFour Thu 16-Jan-20 12:42:14

My friend goes with solo holidays and really enjoy them. She's been all over the world with them which she would never have been able to do on her own and she's not keen to join other tours where they are mostly couples. She enjoys the organised activities very much but there is no compulsion to join in if you don't feel like it.