Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Holidays for solo traveller

(38 Posts)
NanaSuzy Wed 15-Jan-20 09:49:26

Hi, has anyone got any recommendations for a company offering safe holidays for solo travellers? Possibly with a music theme (Classical), but open to any suggestions.

H1954 Thu 16-Jan-20 12:47:24

Polnan, I have sent you a private message.

Tallulah2 Thu 16-Jan-20 13:05:56

I can also highly recommend One Traveller. I’ve been on three holidays so far and have just booked a fourth. Certainly worth checking out their website and giving them a call. On first appearance they may look more expensive than some of the other solo holiday companies but you need to compare what is included.

Esmerelda Thu 16-Jan-20 13:20:08

I second that Tallulah. I'm actually off to Oman tomorrow on my fourth trip with One Traveller, who cater for single travellers over 50. They are a small family run business and their attention to detail is superb. Don't be fooled into thinking they are more expensive than others because almost everything (apart from maybe a few meals on certain holidays) is included. I went on a Cairo & Nile Cruise trip with them in November and ALL meals (plus drinks on the boat) were included and entry to all the archaeological sites was paid for. Bargain! Do check out their website.

geekesse Thu 16-Jan-20 13:30:14

I book a couple of days every so often at a luxury country house hotel with a beautiful lounge, elegant bar and Michelin star food. I take no technology with me, just books and a daily newspaper. I love walking into the bar before dinner when the barman asks ‘your usual, madam?’ and then delivers a French 75 cocktail along with the amuses-bouches and menu. They have nice grounds, scope for walking, and a roaring fire in the winter. There’s no problem at all being a solo woman. It’s only about an hour and a half by car to get there, and it feels like a different world from my otherwise madly busy life. It costs about the same as a trip away, but it provides a better holiday.

AlisonB Thu 16-Jan-20 15:02:19

One traveller are superb. They are a family company and really take care of you. They do a number of musical short breaks. Just You are also a good firm but, even though on the face of it they are cheaper, they do not have as much included. I have been with both and not had any problems

Crazygran Thu 16-Jan-20 15:49:35

P& O cruises have get together for single travellers.
I did it for years before I met my new partner last year.

pamdixon Thu 16-Jan-20 16:39:56

I had a really lovely holiday with Solo last year. Everyone else was very nice and it was great fun. Wouldn't hesitate to do another one. I was about 20 years older than everyone else, but no one seemed to mind!

glammagran Thu 16-Jan-20 19:16:46

You’d be hard pressed to see the Northern Lights in Antarctica, ALANaV ?

madster Thu 16-Jan-20 19:18:47

Bite the bullet! I`ve been with Solos and JustYou to Mexico, China, and South America. A twin or double room is standard, whereas sometimes paying a single supplement on a "normal" holiday means an inferior room. They`ve all been great holidays and ,as others have said, you can opt out of excursions if you wish. All these trips had people whose partners didn`t fancy that sort of holiday. It certainly isn`t a matchmaking service, thank Heavens!!

Jaye53 Thu 16-Jan-20 21:36:44

Yes I sympathise Polnan

Nvella Sat 18-Jan-20 18:32:33

I am another one who has been with One Traveller- once to Italy and once to India. They are very well organised and so much is included I came back with some of my spending money both times!

grannyticktock Sat 18-Jan-20 20:09:02

To Polnan and others who feel the same: many of us feel like this when we are widowed. You get this strange sensation of being invisible in crowded places, thinking no one knows or cares whether you're there or not - it happens to all of us at times. It does get easier doing things on your own but sometimes it's still an effort (3 years on now for me). However, on these singles holidays, most people are in the same situation and are seeking company, so they do want to be with you. I have had wonderful solo holidays with One Traveller, Just You and Saga. Most of the other guests are female, many widowed, and the average age is 60s-70s. I've always found like-minded people and had some great times with good conversation and lots of laughs. I am off on a Nile Cruise with One Traveller next month - Esmerelda, do get in touch if you're back from Oman in time, I'd love to hear your experiences.!