Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Burns’ Night

(33 Posts)
Scentia Tue 21-Jan-20 19:57:04

A question for our Scottish contingent.

I am a vegan and I will be cooking friends a supper on Saturday. I have the Vegan Haggis (practically a lentil bake recipe!!)
What I am stuck with though is ‘do you have gravy with it?’ I will do the tatties and neeps as per my recipe but nowhere does it mention gravy!!

Sorry if the thought of Vegan Haggis offends anyone, it is not intentional.

Any other ideas for my supper will be greatly appreciated.

Lucylastic Wed 22-Jan-20 16:17:54

We hold a Burns Supper for friends most years and include any acquaintance or neighbour who has never had the pleasure of attending such an occasion previously.
We start with smoked salmon, then haggis, neeps and tatties with a jug of whisky and peppercorn sauce. Cranachan for pudding.
All this is served by DH who dresses as the traditional Poosie Nancy, resplendent in mob cap, apron and tartan sash.
The food is less important than the company - we have great fun getting everyone to recite or sing something by Burns.
It matters not a jot how inaccurate the recitations are - everyone's usually too bloody drunk to care.

phoenix Wed 22-Jan-20 18:34:31

vegansrock thank you for your post. You are right, I do have some concerns with veganism, but perhaps this isn't the thread to discuss them on!

Really appreciate your approach.

Jane10 Wed 22-Jan-20 20:31:44

Gosh felice what a spread. I hope you have some help with the preparations.

merlotgran Wed 22-Jan-20 20:41:58

I've been unable to get hold of a gluten free haggis this year. Postage and packing prohibits sending away for one and our local Waitrose isn't very big and hasn't got them in stock.

So....I might do something with gf black pudding, lamb mince, oatmeal, gf suet etc.

Any ideas?

Lucylastic Fri 24-Jan-20 13:48:12

Simon Howie does a brilliant g free haggis. Don't know where you are, Merlot, but I bought one in Morrison's last week.

merlotgran Fri 24-Jan-20 13:59:22

We don't have a Morrison's near us unfortunately.

I've given up on Burns Night.

Chinese New Year instead grin

MawB Fri 24-Jan-20 14:00:45

Felice -I’m free!
Can I come? tbenvytbenvy thistle