Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What on earth is wrong with me?

(207 Posts)
phoenix Fri 24-Jan-20 17:52:40

Hello all,

Feeling rather less than tickety boo confused

Freezing cold and shivering (heating is on and turned up to almost 23 shock) headache.

Was fine this morning, until halfway through my mug of tea, when I suddenly had to dash to the loo.

It wasnt pretty, a mop and bucket had to be deployed blush

Had a shower, and a slice of dry toast, waited until I thought it was safe, and set off to Lidl.

Gentle reader, if you are of a sensitive disposition, look away now.

On getting out of the car, the world fell out of my bottom shockblush Fortunately I was wearing dark jeans.

Back in car (carrier bag on seat, just in case). Indoors, clothes in the washing machine and another shower.

It is since then that I have had the bad headache and felt so very cold. I'm usually the one complaining that house is too hot!

Any ideas? I'm not usually prone to bowel problems.

phoenix Sat 25-Jan-20 10:01:12

Hello all, and thanks for the posts.

Bad night, so phoned NHS 111. Spoke to a nice chap, who arranged for a nurse to phone me back.

She is now getting a doctor to call me "sometime today".

Mr P will be off to get more paracetamol and dioraltye.

(Just checked this and the tablet in its wisdom has changed "nurse" to "nude", can't see what good that would have done!)

Greeneyedgirl Sat 25-Jan-20 10:07:02

Would've cheered you up though Phoenix.
Hope you're better soon.

Mamma66 Sat 25-Jan-20 10:09:33

Firstly and most importantly, I am sorry you are feeling so wretched, I hope you’re soon on the mend.

Secondly the humour over typos in this post has really made me giggle (I hope it’s cheered you up too?) I loved the dysentery hoover (and the card who suggested you snap it up) and the thought of you taking advice from a ‘nude’...

Get well soon ?

Caro57 Sat 25-Jan-20 10:14:57

depends what you ate. x3 of us ate a paella and I got food poisioning but not them.........I ate the dodgy prawn!!
Fluids only for 24hours, introduce plain boiled rice next day, then add dry crackers and bovril / marmite (to get the salt). Steer clear of dairy for a few days - always worked a treat when I lived in Sri Lanka. If no better see GP

Greciangirl Sat 25-Jan-20 10:19:14

Unfortunately, your experience is something that I endure on a regular basis. It’s called I B S.
Have had it this morning, which is why I’m replying.
So far, six trips to the loo. Have had enough, so have now resorted to Imodium instants as I want to go out.

Probably not exactly same symptoms as yours Phoenix as I don’t feel cold, but yours is obviously a bug of some sort.
But very debilitating all the same,
Get well soon.

glammanana Sat 25-Jan-20 10:22:27

Poor you Phoenix you must be suffering and feeling washed out,when I was poorly like this in November I used Diaoralite and drank Bovril as it also has lots of salt to rehydrate you.
Hoping you feel better soon my friend.x

Hetty58 Sat 25-Jan-20 10:27:08

It's amazing how quickly the body ejects anything harmful. Every cloud has a silver lining too. I lost a stone with the gastric flu!

I remember the 'brat' advice. Bananas, rice, cooked apple and toast are good starter foods after a tummy upset.

Persistentdonor Sat 25-Jan-20 10:30:40

Tomato soup always goes straight through me when I am healthy! blush
Dread to think what it would do to me if I had any kind of digestion bug.

Hope you feel much better very soon Phoenix.

Nanny41 Sat 25-Jan-20 10:49:33

Phoenix my heart goes out to you,I had the same two years ago after an antibiotic cure, the thing that saved me was Probiotics from Holand and Barrett, Acidophilus capsules they worked a treat they introduce " good" bacteria and get rid of the "bad" bacteria try it,it will work, and drink plenty of fluids and look after yourself.

BusterTank Sat 25-Jan-20 10:56:37

I had this two weeks ago and was told it was the norovirus . After the sudden on set sickness and very watery poo . The sickness latest 6 hours , with the other end lasting longer . Stick to taking regular sips of water and eat dry light food . Although I had no real appetite for 4 days . You will be left feeling week and me and my daughter had pain in our ribs too . After 4 days you should be feeling human again . Be careful as it spreads like wild fire .

4allweknow Sat 25-Jan-20 10:58:51

Stay indoors, stay hydrated, don't eat until your inside feel or show back to normal. Only a piece of toast or clear soup to begin with. Sounds really like a gastric/intestinal bug. Hope yiur are back to normal very soon but if symptoms persist for more than 72 hours seek medical advice starting with emergency phone line. Of course wash hands like it's going out of fashion.

Saggi Sat 25-Jan-20 10:59:38

Food poisoning ?!

MadeInYorkshire Sat 25-Jan-20 11:01:12

Glad you will be getting some help - just one thing, you obviously have a fever, so the important thing is NOT to have the heating on full, but to cool your body down - your blood has rushed to protect your vital organs making your skin feel very cold - sorry this is cruel! Try to cool yourself, tepid bathing, fan maybe, lots of fluids and Paracetamol - honestly you WILL feel better for it eventually ......!

Good luck! Been there too xx

phoenix Sat 25-Jan-20 11:06:07

Thanks again all.

The doctor phoned about 10 minutes ago, and said it did sound like norovirus.

Himself has gone off to get the necessary.

Bit annoying, as a lovely Indian lady does a curry night once a month at the village hall, and of course we had booked to go, chosen the food (you have to pre order) but I've just messaged her and she will pack it up for the freezer for us.

I think curry might have been a step too far, but Mr P is going to pick up a plain naan bread for me in Waitrose, so I will give that a go later.

Grannyparkrun Sat 25-Jan-20 11:10:03

Poor you, I had very similar, overall feeling of being cold to my bones, then dashes to the loo for both ends (difficult) & passing out on bathroom floor. Very nasty but worst over in 48 hrs. Silver lining, I lost 7 lbs shockhmm..

Sarahmob Sat 25-Jan-20 11:17:33

That sounds similar to bug DH had a couple of weeks ago, was not pleasant (for either of us - I had to deal with the laundry!) Lots of fluids and nothing solid for 24 hours for him sorted it out in the end. Hope you soon feel better ?

Phloembundle Sat 25-Jan-20 11:24:10

Gastric flu. Go to bed with two paracetamol.

BabyLayla Sat 25-Jan-20 11:31:43

I’m sorry you are so poorly, it’s horrid.
I have to say thanks for cheering me up tho, imagining your dh beating up the soup?
I love silly stuff and giggling like a teenager here
Get well soon (& keep those fluids up) x

Lovemybed Sat 25-Jan-20 11:56:59

Just to say I hope the worst is already behind you (no pun intended) and that you feel better very soon. Be thinking of a little treat you will get yourself.

vickya Sat 25-Jan-20 12:11:45

Some years ago friend had to go to A&E for a bad asthma attack. Got put on a nebuliser, new puffer and sent away and then had a very bad stomach bug, C,Difficile. It was highly infectious, I'd driven them to hospital and home and caught it and their whole household did too. Very bad diarrhea, and stomach pain. As others said, keeping hydrated was important.

vickya Sat 25-Jan-20 12:12:24

Hope it is all over soon and you feel better.

Lizbethann55 Sat 25-Jan-20 12:31:30

Gastroenteritis? It has gone through my family like a .....? Well, like a dose of salts. Started with my grandson, then DD, SiL and finally DH. We quarantined ourselves ( a bit like Eyam). Other children stayed away and I retreated to the spare bedroom. Boil washed all sheets, DH's pyjamas and undies. A few days later everyone was fine. Rest. Look after yourself and take diorylite. Take care.

Granny23 Sat 25-Jan-20 12:44:28

It is definitely catching. After reading the OP I had a sudden need to rush to the toilet where I expelled a whole toilet pan full of gunk. As I had just done my usual morning weigh in, I leapt on the scales after the deluge. Yep lost a pound and a half in five minutes.

NB I am not recommending this as a weight loss strategy.

Llamedos13 Sat 25-Jan-20 12:49:58

My husband suffered the same symptoms as you described and he too was diagnosed as having C. difficile, also hospital acquired. Have you been in a hospital or any medical building lately? A lab test of the poop can tell and a particular antibiotic prescribed. Good luck and feel better soon.

seacliff Sat 25-Jan-20 13:00:25

Poor you Phoenix, good that you talked to the Doc. It is a bit scary when your bottom is so totally out of your control. Happened to me once. Yuk.

Get well soon flowers