Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Winning the Lotto

(84 Posts)
Newatthis Sun 26-Jan-20 14:16:03

So, if you won the Euromillions - say £170 million - how much would you hand out to your family and what would you spend it on. I recently asked a friend this and she said she would ask each individual member of her family how much they think they should have and justify the reason. She has a large family of sisters, brothers, nephews, nieces in-laws etc but doesn't really see that much of them nor do they contact her. She makes all the contact and effort to visit them. They also have not been very supportive of the years to her so at first I was shocked as she is a kind, generous person but when I thought about it I though she has a point. I personally would go down the charity route as there are lots of charities I would like to support.

Quokka Sat 01-Oct-22 21:38:22

I wouldn’t tell a soul, not even the husband, how much I had won. I’d admit instead to a much, much smaller amount and quietly distribute it as I felt fit.

nadateturbe Sat 01-Oct-22 22:23:53

I wouldn't want to win that amount. Couldn't cope.

Happysexagenarian Sat 01-Oct-22 22:41:37

I think these huge Lottery prizes are obscene amounts for the ordinary person to win. I often wonder what they do with it and do they really enjoy it, does it bring them happiness, or does it become an overwhelming burden. Do they ever wish they hadn't won?

But if I ever did win a silly amount of money like that I'd ensure that DH and I had sufficient funds to see out the rest of our lives in comfort, dignity and well cared for. Then I'd share a big chunk of it between our AC, GC and siblings. I might buy a new (electric) car. And I'd make a number of anonymous donations to favourite charities. The remainder would be invested in a high interest account (if any still exist) to be divided between our children after our deaths.

But none of that is ever likely to happen because we don't do the Lottery!

Serendipity22 Sun 02-Oct-22 07:56:26

Ok, this is from someone who has only done the lottery twice hahaha. I would give large sums to my children and set up trust funds for my grandchildren. I would definitely find out who was struggling, who needed a leg up ( Friends ) I wouldn't let it be known publicly but I would treat people left, right and centre, by that I mean an instant act of kindness to Jo Public, I would love to do that.... like pay for someones shopping in the supermarket, buy someones a new car, help others, help others, help others. Now THAT would bring me sooooo much joy.

smilesmilesmilesmile

Nicolenet Sun 02-Oct-22 08:00:33

After such a big win, I would always wonder how to avoid scammers, kidnappers ... Would people like you for yourself or your money... Too much hassle.

Serendipity22 Sun 02-Oct-22 08:05:58

Nicolenet

After such a big win, I would always wonder how to avoid scammers, kidnappers ... Would people like you for yourself or your money... Too much hassle.

Blimey, never thought about kidnappers!!

?

gma Sun 02-Oct-22 09:00:51

In the early 1960s my now father in law won £6000 approx on radio Luxembourg postal bingo! It was enormous amount for him and ma in law! Approx £140,000 now. Their life changed in many ways. Each of their children, 3 , including my now husband, had the same amount, about £150 each. they bought all new furniture, a new car (didn’t have one previously) and a residential caravan! Various relatives had small handouts, but no mention of gifts to charities. They had a couple of nice holidays, including 2 trips to Australia! and then invested in a couple more caravans which they continued to rent out for about 15 years. This money made a big change to their lives. IThey both continued working until retirement but FIL died in his early 70s and MIL in her mid 90s.
They had no financial advice, but certainly enjoyed this windfall!

Gabrielle56 Sun 02-Oct-22 12:04:56

IMO The jackpot should be limited to say £20million, it's way more than enough for any same person to cope with and enough to do good for families and charitable giving too. It's insane to have such obscene amounts dumped on one winner! All the good causes could so so much better if income was channelled to them first with winners being secondary consideration .