Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What is your favourite Gransnet conversation?

(128 Posts)
LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 05-Feb-20 09:56:11

We'd love to put together a page of Gransnet Classics - the threads that still make you smile when you think back on them, were just simply ridiculous, moved you in some way or that simply sum up what it is to be on Gransnet. They can be old or recent, long or short, but it would be great to find out which ones you loved best.

A link would be great but if you don't have it a description of the conversation should be fine and we'll see if we can find it. grin

Applegran Sat 15-Feb-20 17:27:24

Random acts of kindness - lots of lovely stories and people saying it was their favourite ever thread and brought tears to their eyes. I'd love to see it go further - so heartwarming and genuine. Yes - maybe I'm biased ! - I started the thread.

NanKate Thu 13-Feb-20 22:26:14

PS No mobility scooters allowed this time only Rickshaws ?.

NanKate Thu 13-Feb-20 22:25:11

Maggie I am hoping for a bit of decorum from the GN Team after the debacle of 4 years ago. I expect everyone to have mastered the Tea Ceremony and be prepared to wear a Kimono ? at the Opening Ceremony. I’m told the Rice Wine is very potent. ?

Maggiemaybe Thu 13-Feb-20 18:20:04

NanKate, I think some of those holes in the flag are from it being dragged along behind that mobility scooter at the Rio closing ceremony.

I’ve heeded my captain’s call and I’m now getting into training for the drinking and partying in Tokyo - I have read that correctly, haven’t I? hmm

Charleygirl5 Thu 13-Feb-20 08:36:40

NanKate it is a comfortable bed and good food I will be looking forward to because walking 1-2 miles a day is really OTT for me with my mobility problems. I only hope I can follow the signs as Japanese is not on my list of languages.

NanKate Thu 13-Feb-20 08:05:27

I think the hotels in Tokyo will be a definite step up from the ones you stayed in in Rio Charleygirl. However, they won’t be as atmospheric.

Charleygirl5 Wed 12-Feb-20 21:36:35

In the 2020 Games I must book my hotels in advance when running/walking the marathon because I do not intend staying in the fleapits like the last time.

NanKate Wed 12-Feb-20 07:16:28

Here’s your team leader Maggie 4 year DS older but still in training.

I am busy patching up the moth holes in the banner so it is ready for the 2020 Games.

I have great expectations for these coming Games, we are a hardy bunch and game for anything. However I do hope the drinking and partying can be kept in check this time around. ?????

DanniRae Mon 10-Feb-20 14:32:43

I was able to find the thread about the 2016 Olympics........it was hilarious!! I didn't contribute much as I was quite a new Gransnetter but I loved reading it at the time and really enjoyed rereading it this time grin.

Maggiemaybe Mon 10-Feb-20 14:02:47

Sometimes I surprise even myself, Rufus! grin Just as I did in the over-60s-relay-medley-but-mainly-doggie-paddle-with-swimming-aids event at the GN Rio Olympics (before my very unfair disqualification for the extra fingers, of course).

It really is a funny thread. I’d forgotten that we were supposed to be in training for Tokyo 2020...... Where’s our team leader, NanKate? I hope she’s kept that proud GN banner safe.

annep1 Mon 10-Feb-20 13:30:28

What an odd thing to do! I found the washing protocol thread. You might find it interesting Fennel. Perhaps I need to get a life ?

Rufus2 Mon 10-Feb-20 12:28:08

if I could find a link to a 2016 thread I’d have given it
Maggie Thank you for that; it only took you just over 4 minutes!. Awesome! grin
How on earth did you manage to find that link from over 3 years ago? That would have taken me forever given the dodgy "search " function!
Now I'm curious as to how Lara will be handling all this info.!
OoRoo

Fennel Mon 10-Feb-20 12:23:30

Talking about hanging out clothes to dry - in one of the many houses we lived in, overlooking a rural valley, we had a distant neighbour who hung her washing out according to size - all on one line.
She started at one end with the biggest item, then finished with the smallest item.
She must have spent ages grading them for size before hanging them out.

annep1 Mon 10-Feb-20 11:21:36

No escapees Callistemon?.

(And no peg marks)

Callistemon Mon 10-Feb-20 10:06:19

I saw a couple of sweaters flying past in the gale - have you checked you've got them all annep?

annep1 Mon 10-Feb-20 09:21:06

4 pegs on each item Callistemon. grin Just a few sweaters. I find they're softer dried outside.

Maggiemaybe Mon 10-Feb-20 08:38:27

Just for you, Rufus:

www.gransnet.com/forums/chat/1228552-The-Gransnet-Olympics?pg=8

Maggiemaybe Mon 10-Feb-20 08:34:18

The OP actually says A link would be great but if you don't have it a description of the conversation should be fine and we'll see if we can find it.

If I could find a link to a 2016 thread I’d have given it.

Rufus2 Mon 10-Feb-20 07:31:10

Yes! Thank you, except that it's not turning out the way I expected. The OP called for links to favourite threads , not vague memories or one-liners and certainly not accounts of past difficulties. We can't follow up on many of those brief anecdotes and appreciate the fun without a link! sad
loved reading that thread
MissAdventure. Can you please give a clue as to where we could find it!? smile
There was a very funny thread on the Gransnet Olympics in 2016. I’d love to see some of those daft posts again
Why not!? Show us the link! grin
Try this one! I hope it's the original GreatNan's thread! OoRoo

www.gransnet.com/forums/chat/1191019-This-made-me-laugh

Marydoll Sun 09-Feb-20 23:37:57

Reported

mike28939 Sun 09-Feb-20 23:34:05

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Callistemon Sun 09-Feb-20 22:42:49

You hung out washing today? shock

It's a wonder you didn't get blown away!

Bellanonna Sun 09-Feb-20 22:42:16

Phoenix, I well remember that “incident”. Does the person
whom it might have been still post? Just (really) curious.
As for pegs I’m a bit slapdash. I even mix wooden ones and plastic ones of various hues. The washing seems to dry, or not, exactly the same.
I love some of the threads mentioned on here. The picnic was a good one. Favourite songs from our younger days brought back a lot of nostalgic memories. The things children say was brilliant too. The better face of gransnet.

annep1 Sun 09-Feb-20 22:37:42

Oh dear Callistemon, sewing is not an enjoyable task.
My husband was very amused by all the toilet talk.
I honestly can't believe that people think so much about pegs. I have about four different types of various sizes in the bag which I hang round my neck and its pot luck which peg comes out. Although today I pushed a strong wooden one in the centre of each item as it was so windy. I must search for the washing thread.

Callistemon Sun 09-Feb-20 22:19:23

Not ^rely: - try!