Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

My Dentist will not pull my teeth out.

(48 Posts)
laura666 Tue 11-Feb-20 21:19:21

I have a bad gum disease, and i have asked my NHS dentist to pull out all my teeth, but he is refusing to do so, as he says my teeth are healthy. Instead, i have to go every 2 months to have under gum planing with the Hygeinist. Can i insist on having my teeth removed?

MissAdventure Wed 12-Feb-20 19:02:46

Oh yes, you really must. smile
You don't want to end up like me!

Hetty58 Wed 12-Feb-20 19:14:07

Apparently, the roots of my molars (at least, those I have left) grow at mad angles all over the place. That might explain three failed root canals.

When I had several teeth out under sedation, little sharp bits of tooth (maybe jawbone, who knows) emerged from my gums, like splinters, for months afterwards. It's no wonder that I've lost all faith in dentists.

Swishing coconut oil around in my mouth after brushing/interdentals/flossing helped my gums a lot.

Grannyboots1 Wed 12-Feb-20 19:15:11

Back in 1971 I took both my parents to the dentist to have all their teeth out and each were given a full set of false ones when their gums healed. They lived on soup for weeks.

Blinko Wed 12-Feb-20 20:25:51

I remember fifty years ago my grandmother had all her teeth taken out. They were just discoloured because she smoked. I think she regretted it.

Blinko Wed 12-Feb-20 20:26:20

..Having her teeth extracted, not the smoking...

EmilyPaigelrpI Thu 29-Apr-21 15:45:49

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Jaxjacky Thu 29-Apr-21 16:17:39

Callistemon possibly you unknowingly grind them when asleep.

Jaxjacky Thu 29-Apr-21 16:22:28

Grannyboots1 my husband had his teeth all removed in January 2016, he’d slowly been losing them since a sectarian beating when he was younger. He had full dentures fitted the next day, he didn’t have to have soup once and after a few days was eating as normal, things have moved on a lot, he’s never looked back.

Chestnut Thu 29-Apr-21 16:32:34

I have asked a dentist about removing my teeth and as expected he was unwilling. My reason was because my bottom teeth in particular are growing in all directions and look awful. I am really self-conscious about them. If I just had those four bottom ones out I might be able to live with the rest which aren't brilliant but not as bad. But he says I will regret it!
How I long to have them all out so I can have a nice smile with even teeth.

Callistemon Thu 29-Apr-21 17:25:28

Jaxjacky

Oh, I never thought of that Jaxjacky

Chestnut Thu 29-Apr-21 17:43:50

Callistemon

Jaxjacky

Oh, I never thought of that Jaxjacky

Has this happened in the last year? Maybe you are anxious about the virus. Grinding teeth usually means some kind of worry.

AtlasW Mon 10-May-21 10:24:19

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Callistemon Mon 10-May-21 10:30:03

Has this happened in the last year

It just happens from time to time, yes, it could be anxiety but not the virus particularly, Chestnut .

Blossoming Mon 10-May-21 11:30:21

Apparently I do it in my sleep, it’s called Bruxism and I have a soft splint to wear at night. It’s unobtrusive and comfortable. Your dentist can make you one.

Callistemon Mon 10-May-21 11:42:33

Thanks

It doesn't happen often but it's an odd sensation.

Unknown123 Sun 24-Oct-21 13:20:16

Iam having a similar problem.
My tooth is fine but i have receding Gum.
I can not take pain killers as i have a reaction to them. Iam ok on Morpine but i shouldnt have to take that for toothache.
What i havent mentioned my tooth was fine before my Dentist noticed filled it.
This was two weeks ago i have been back but she wont take it out.
Will any Dentist take the tooth.

Charleygirl5 Sun 24-Oct-21 14:55:24

OMG, I need to introduce some of you ladies to my new to me female dentist. I also have gum disease and some caries but none is causing me a problem but my new dentist wanted to remove both top teeth last week. I said no, not until I am having problems that cannot be resolved any other way.

I am hoping my dental problems will "see me out". I am not sure if her dental training was in this country because preservation is the main word and I agree.

Jordansazerland Tue 18-Oct-22 21:54:52

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

OnwardandUpward Tue 18-Oct-22 22:27:33

So sorry. Maybe you could get an opinion from a different dentist?

One of my relatives did have all of her teeth removed, but couldn't get new ones straight away. It was actually some time before she could get teeth (not sure if that's normal) but she struggled to speak and eat for a long time.

icanhandthemback Tue 18-Oct-22 22:37:47

Unknown123, that sounds like your tooth might be abscessing. I would insist on an x-ray at the very least.

MerylStreep Tue 18-Oct-22 22:48:12

A dentist ( not in a working situation) once joked to me: why would we take them out, that’s money for us while you still have them

Washerwoman Wed 19-Oct-22 17:45:25

Despite regular brushing and flossing I developed bad gum disease. I realised my NHS dentist was useless and he didn't have a hygienist.For years he did a cursory scale and polish. I now realise how brief my appointments were as I have joined a dental plan and changed dentists.I had already lost one molar but between the fabulous hygienist doing deep cleans,a new electric toothbrush and interdental brushes used correctly my gums now never bleed.The gum pockets have closed up and another tooth that felt loose he says I now will keep.He told me if I was prepared to put in the effort he could transform my mouth.At my last appointment he said I had and I was so thrilled.It has cost a few hundred pounds for extra appointments and I now pay £16 a month for 2 check ups a year and 4 hygienist cleans.I know I'm lucky I found the money to pay this- but to keep my own teeth ? Worth every penny.