Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Help needed - tooth fairy

(40 Posts)
Buttonjugs Fri 14-Feb-20 22:39:53

I have my granddaughters for the weekend as I often do but tonight the youngest one lost a tooth. She’s asleep now and I have put money under her pillow but can’t find the tooth and I am really worried I will wake her up! Has anyone else had this problem and what did you do? I don’t want to be the person that exposes the myth of the tooth fairy! It’s been 20+ years since I last did it and I can’t remember not being able to find the tooth. Advice needed please!

SirChenjin Sat 15-Feb-20 21:07:07

I used to write tiny little letters from the tooth fairies and sign each one with fairy names - they loved getting them. All three have survived the trauma of finding out there’s no tooth fairy (or Santa or the Easter bunny) and grown into well adjusted adults and teenager.

Callistemon Sat 15-Feb-20 20:45:59

That is fine; so do my DGC momb but many would dismiss that as another fairy story.

mumofmadboys Sat 15-Feb-20 20:44:24

Callistemon we do celebrate the birth of Jesus at Christmas - of God coming to earth in human form.The children knew when they were young that pictures on Christmas cards were a sanitised version of what likely happened but that it represented the essence of God incarnate and that was what we were celebrating.

Alishka Sat 15-Feb-20 18:45:42

V3RA - "what's it got to do with you?" - thanks for remembering and posting that!gringringrin

Yennifer Sat 15-Feb-20 18:45:17

You would be surprised how many children know the truth and keep up the pretending to keep the magic alive for their parents x

vampirequeen Sat 15-Feb-20 18:32:23

Ooh necklaces made out of children's teeth...I think you've invented another Horror franchise grin

newnanny Sat 15-Feb-20 15:53:26

If it is lost then of course the Tooth Fairy took it to make a beautiful necklace. The tooth fairy took all of our childrens teeth from under their pillows to make necklaces.

Urmstongran Sat 15-Feb-20 14:35:12

I’m not even going there. Politics is bad enough, but religion? No way.

As a Humanist I say - Each to their own.

Callistemon Sat 15-Feb-20 13:51:58

Did they believe that a baby who was the son of God was born in a stable in the middle of winter, shepherds were tending their flocks on the hillsides in the deep midwinter, in angels and kings?

mumofmadboys Sat 15-Feb-20 13:28:12

Our boys still had presents left at the end of their beds but they knew they were from family, friends and us. I don't think they feel they have missed out at all. Again they put lost teeth under their pillow and got a coin but they were never told it was a fairy who delivered it. They knew it was us.

Witzend Sat 15-Feb-20 10:13:52

A woman I used to know told my dd at only five that there was no FC. I got my own back by telling dd that X had probably been so naughty when she was little that FC never came, so no wonder she didn’t believe in him. Should add that X had form for yelling/effing and blinding in public, as dd had witnessed, which certainly helped - it worked like a charm.

Having loved all the FC excitement as a child, I would have hated for it to be denied to my own children. And I must say it never occurred to me when older that my folks had ‘lied’ to me over FC or the tooth fairy. I was well aware that it was rather a case of not denying me that little bit of young-childhood magic and excitement.

Barmeyoldbat Sat 15-Feb-20 10:08:21

I was camping with my gc when the tooth came out. Great excitement because the tooth fairy would come that night. Except I had no change whatsoever on me. So I own up to telling her another lie and that the tooth fairy made a list each day of people she would have to visit so she could go to the ATM to get the money out. As her tooth had come out at 6.30 she had missed the list today and would probably be on to morrows list. Understood and peace.

Callistemon Sat 15-Feb-20 10:01:11

My mum was being tooth fairy when my nieces were staying, she said she completed the transaction just fine, then stumbled on my old dolls' house when she was leaving the bedroom, ended up crashing around and woke them both up. She dropped the tooth somewhere couldn't find it in the dark. They still remember that 40+ years on.

Callistemon Sat 15-Feb-20 09:55:23

There's no such thing as a Giant Peach, a Magic Finger, a Saucepan Man, a Tiger who was tame enough to come to tea, a Gangsta Granny either.

Well, there might be a Gangsta Granny wink

Callistemon Sat 15-Feb-20 09:52:12

Well, of course, some would say that the Christmas story is not exactly truthful either, momb.

That reminds me of the vicar who went into school and told reception class there was no such person as Father Christmas, it's your parents. Then went into church to hold the Christmas services! Just as unbelievable to some.
He could have told them about St Nicholas and said he was immortal too and aka Father Christmas instead of leaving them sobbing.

Oopsadaisy3 Sat 15-Feb-20 09:23:20

My DDs loved the magic of FC and also the visit from the Tooth Fairy, DD1 passed this love on to our GCs and hopefully they will do the same for their children, childhood is fleeting and pressured enough, let them have some magic whilst they can.
TBH I’m shocked that parents don’t let their children have some magic in their lives.

Urmstongran Sat 15-Feb-20 09:15:36

No wonder your parents were horrified momb! You had the magic yourself of Father Christmas (remember the outline of the parcels in the semi-dark and the fizz of wonder that ‘he’d BEEN!’? Yet you chose to deny it to your boys. Sad.

And then your boys would have to keep that secret from kindergarten up until ooh perhaps mid junior school. Poor boys - in my opinion.
?

Dancinjay Sat 15-Feb-20 09:14:03

I remember long exchanges of letters to and from the tooth fairy, she was very scatty and often didn't make it on the appropriate day. As for FC, well real people give presents (their names are on them after all) but FC 'magics' them. It worked and my son now nearly 50 still refuses to admit that there is no FC and I caught him using the same explanation to his step children some years ago.

yggdrasil Sat 15-Feb-20 08:59:24

The tooth fairy forgot to come to my daughter once. I told her she must have pushed it too far under the pillow so it couldn'tbe reached without waking her. So next night, it was on the edge, and the tooth fairy never forgot again. :-)

grannylyn65 Sat 15-Feb-20 08:39:38

What ??? No Father Christmas ??

BlueBelle Sat 15-Feb-20 08:36:24

Oh what a shame to be so black and white and take away a little tiny bit of magic that lasts for such a small space of time
Are they lies.? Are they not just weaving a story surely that is wonderful for a child’s imagination
We never swapped God for Father Christmas they were two different things
Once we had tears when a tooth was lost at school so that night she drew a picture and a little note explaining and was thrilled to get her pennies however when she tried it again some weeks later (without a tooth) she got nothing and learnt an important lesson in truth
A very innocent small child ‘game’

vampirequeen Sat 15-Feb-20 08:19:50

One night the tooth fairy forgot to come. The next night there was a 20p coin and a letter from Dopey Dora apologising. My DD took the letter to school and all her friends were so envious.

LullyDully Sat 15-Feb-20 08:03:02

The grandchildren lived with us during the teeth shedding years. We kept one of those tiny, hotel jam pots for them to put their teeth in. It saved all the fuss!

Hetty58 Sat 15-Feb-20 07:48:44

My third child (a daughter) was utterly terrified at the thought of a strange man descending the chimney and leaving presents under the tree. She couldn't sleep.

She was only three, but we had to tell her that it was only a fairy tale. They were not allowed to spoil the magic for other children, though, so played along very well.

With the fourth child, we had a jokey approach to it all.

Willow500 Sat 15-Feb-20 07:47:06

My 6 year old grandson lost a tooth while he was staying with us at Christmas. He wrapped it in a tissue and put it under his pillow but not before his 4 year old brother came to me and asked if I had a peanut? When asked why he said whenever his brother lost a tooth the fairy would also take a nut from under his pillow and leave him $2 as well (we substituted NZ$ for £2 saying the UK fairies only deal in sterling grin )

Their mum was saying that as eldest (who is on the autism spectrum) can't cope with lies/untruths she was going to have to explain to him all about Father Christmas this coming year - the youngest is such a smart cookie he'll probably work it out for himself before long! It's such a shame to take the magic away - although I'm sure mine knew for ages without letting on grin