Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Is the naming of colours subjective?

(81 Posts)
Mamma66 Fri 21-Feb-20 07:01:29

I had an email from a well known store promoting ‘teal’ cushions. To me teal is turquoise with a hint of black; same colour range but without the zingy brightness of turquoise.

The cushion was green.

I always thought that colours were standard, but now I am not so sure. Any thoughts?

pollyperkins Fri 21-Feb-20 13:56:17

To me teal is greeny blue ie more green than blue whereas turquoise is bluey green (more blue with a green tinge..)
I have a coat which I call green and DH calls blue. I think it’s teal.

Theoddbird Fri 21-Feb-20 14:17:12

I love colours. I have a good colour eye....can tell minute differences in things that others say are the same colour. I love it that there are different names for them all...as they are different smile

Mamma66 Fri 21-Feb-20 14:39:00

What fascinating answers ?

Callistemon Fri 21-Feb-20 14:52:04

I bought some yarn which is 'petrol' I colour.

Actually, nothing like petrol, it is a lovely shade of dark turquoisey blue.

Callistemon Fri 21-Feb-20 14:54:54

How about this for the name of a colour midway between purple and maroon:

Puroon - a word invented by 7 year old DGD the other week.
It described it exactly.

Sara65 Fri 21-Feb-20 15:00:29

Callistemon

I love that word, sounds a gorgeous colour.

TrendyNannie6 Fri 21-Feb-20 15:00:57

Well for me teal is def a green , I don’t see blue

TrendyNannie6 Fri 21-Feb-20 15:01:47

Puroon sounds great,

Sara65 Fri 21-Feb-20 15:02:31

I don’t see blue either trendy

Callistemon Fri 21-Feb-20 15:04:13

Unfortunately, I couldn't find any more puroon yarn to finish the project! grin as it was discontinued.

Magrithea Fri 21-Feb-20 15:12:45

I think everyone sees colour differently! My DH often says a colour is one thing and I see a different, though same colour family, shade. In the great scheme of things, does it matter!!!?

Yehbutnobut Fri 21-Feb-20 15:13:21

I’ve just had some teal curtains made. I sent off for samples beforehand as I know this colour can vary hugely.

The samples ranged from deep, deep green, through various shades and finally a pale duck egg blue.

welbeck Fri 21-Feb-20 15:15:42

as a child i used to like mauve, a gentle lavender-ish tint.
dont hear of it much now. everywhere is lurid purple, even the word sounds a bit violent to me; dont like it.
colour names are bound to be subjective.
any welsh people here. i was told the word in welsh for blue, glas, is actually the colour of a river, so bluey-green.
maron is brown in french i believe, poss there are other words from items, like tan, chocolate, just as we have oatmeal, wine or burgundy, tangerine, primrose etc.
i think mauve was a made-up colour, was it the first synthetic dye, poss france 1870s ?

Sara65 Fri 21-Feb-20 15:22:25

I bought a jumper, my husband said he was surprised I bought it, because I really dislike brown, to me it looks a dark shade of pink!

He’s put me off wearing it though.

oodles Fri 21-Feb-20 15:24:26

susiewoosie that is a very interesting article. Some languages only have shiny or matt, some such as Latin have different words for black and white depending on whether or not the object is matt or shiny. People can see colours unless they have a degree of colour blindness, but we describe colours according to our society don't we.
Our victorian or earlier ancestors wouldn't have needed to know what teal was, no internet to choose soft furnishings off, if they could afford soft furnishings at all they'd just chose from what was avalable that would look good with the rest. Nowadays we have different frequencies of light bulbs, warm or cold white, so things look different under different light sources, to how they look in daylight [and there are different brightnesses of daylight] shiny materials can indeed look a different colour to matt ones. In the 18th century when the affluent wore clothes made from material woven with silver thread you would shine when you were dancing under chandeliers. Many of the gradations of colour we recognise we call by comparative names, cherry red, oxblood red, peacock blue, lemon, tangerine, theywould make no sense to those who did not know what a cherry or a peacock was, but they might recognise the colour of their favourite berry or a parrot if they were the same
blue/green is an area of colour where many languages are different, if it is significant to distinguish there is always the pantones or the Dulux colour mixing charts

Callistemon Fri 21-Feb-20 15:26:18

I bought DH a purple jumper (Woolovers).
He never wears it so I asked if I could have it.
He said, "no, I do wear it quite often with my purple shirt, in fact, I'm wearing them today."

He was wearing a dark maroon-red jumper with a maroon shirt hmm

suziewoozie Fri 21-Feb-20 15:31:05

Thanks oodles I’ve always been fascinated by the things we take so much for granted in our own culture, like concepts of colour , and how differently they may be elsewhere.

oodles Fri 21-Feb-20 15:36:52

lol!

oodles Fri 21-Feb-20 15:40:49

sorry that lol was for Callistemon's dh and his maroon jumper
I never liked blue painted walls until we redecorated the children's rooms and they chose a certain blue off the dulux mix your own colour chart. It was cheaper than cheaper colours as they liked it for years and years and didn't need to redecorate. It was fascinating watching the assistant adding the colours to the base coat, as well as blue there was a great dollop of raspberry pink, and I think it was the addition of a warm red that made the difference, it is a warm blue not a cold icy blue

Grandma70s Fri 21-Feb-20 15:45:10

Marron is French for sweet chestnut. One of my favourite treats is a box of marrons glacés, candied chestnuts. They end to be expensive. The use of the word for a colour (maroon, marron) comes from there.

Framilode Fri 21-Feb-20 16:12:23

We bought a car that was described as Mediterranean Blue in the brochure. I saw it as a deep turquoise colour, but my husband and others saw it as green.

glammagran Fri 21-Feb-20 17:29:06

To me most shades of teal look far more blue than green. I did read once that people all perceive colour differently.

Maremia Fri 21-Feb-20 17:32:48

welbeck, in Scotland 'glas' means green, as in Glasgow 'dear green place'! So even the Celts saw the colours differently.

Theoddbird Fri 21-Feb-20 18:10:59

Oh and teal is edging towards blue rather than green

Grandmama Fri 21-Feb-20 18:24:55

I've sometimes had difficulty differentiating between some shades of green, yellow and blue.