Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Is the naming of colours subjective?

(81 Posts)
Mamma66 Fri 21-Feb-20 07:01:29

I had an email from a well known store promoting ‘teal’ cushions. To me teal is turquoise with a hint of black; same colour range but without the zingy brightness of turquoise.

The cushion was green.

I always thought that colours were standard, but now I am not so sure. Any thoughts?

lemongrove Sun 23-Feb-20 20:41:44

Are fashion colours labelled differently now I wonder?
Are they still called emerald green/jade/royal blue/ airforce blue/French navy/tan/cerise/mustard/olive/mauve/ lilac/maroon/claret /scarlet etc etc.
If not, what are the modern fashion colours called?

Summerlove Sun 23-Feb-20 20:44:40

Colours on different phones/computers look different too, because of the way the colour natives are set up

Summerlove Sun 23-Feb-20 20:44:57

Matrix

Not natives

Bizarre

lemongrove Sun 23-Feb-20 20:49:40

Are those the new colour names Summer ?

M0nica Mon 24-Feb-20 20:30:51

Where I see turquoise, DH sees green and DD sees blue.

As far as commercial naming of colours there are the Pantone colours. This is a standardized color reproduction system. By standardizing the colors, different manufacturers in different locations can all refer to the Pantone system to make sure colors match without direct contact with one another.

Most paint manufacturers etc, will match their paint to a Pantone colour number, but what they choose to call that colour is entirely up to them.

This is a really interesting article about the Pantone system and how it is used by manufacturers in the goods we buy. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pantone