Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

How old are you in your head?

(148 Posts)
H1954 Fri 21-Feb-20 11:53:46

I have been listening to Radio 2 and Lulu has been the featured/interviewed artist this week.

She said that "in her head" she was still 16 and I was wondering how old the rest of us feel.

Incidentally, I'm around the same age as Lulu!

Grammaretto Sat 22-Feb-20 13:02:32

Sorry to hear growingolddisgracefully you were subjected to that moronic/cruel ageist sod . He was probably feeling bad about himself and wanted to take it out on others.

I find the very young are lovely to us older folk whereas those just a tad younger are impatient. They are terrified of old age. We should ignore them.

Our doctor came on a home visit recently to see DH in bed. (I know we are lucky) she must be 50 ish but was so exhausted after climbing our stairs she had to pause and sit down, saying "Do you climb these stairs every day?". Of course we do several times a day..

Well done Taichinan for still taking classes. Inspirational.
Another Lulu!

allule Sat 22-Feb-20 13:08:41

Had my 80th birthday last week, and found it quite incredible...how did that happen?
Cheered up by technological gifts from 'kids'....Echo show and Hue lights controlled by Alexa, and pleased I could set them all up. (Our tv setup is so complicated I'm the only person who understands it).
The downside is that I need this technology because getting up and walking is now so difficult.
All I need now is an automatic G and T dispenser....

PS I also had lovely flowers and chocolates ...ageless smile

PrettyWoman Sat 22-Feb-20 13:11:22

I feel 40ish. I'm 65ish.

MarieEliza Sat 22-Feb-20 13:30:29

The only time I feel old is when I remember the times when younger that I didn’t need to think twice about the food I ate (now I do) and I could stay at a disco till midnight and still turn up at the office the following morning bright and breezy. I feel young when I play with grandchildren as they ‘expect ‘ me to keep up with their activities and I hope I can keep physically fit for as long as possible

frankie74 Sat 22-Feb-20 13:58:26

I think I sometimes feel about 25. But I wouldn't want to go back there, mostly because I wouldn't have all those happy memories I've made since, to fall back on. And our children DO sometimes ask my opinion, poor things, because they think that as I'm older , I must be wiser grin3

Nannan2 Sat 22-Feb-20 14:47:43

Yes about 16/17 grin

Nannan2 Sat 22-Feb-20 14:52:21

My granddaughter said yesterday i dont look old like a grandma,i look about 30smile(im 56) but in our family we do have good genes,my daughter says ive still not got wrinkles(its true),and my older AC often get ID'd still ?

Hetty58 Sat 22-Feb-20 14:57:14

Seventeen - forever!

Jillybird Sat 22-Feb-20 14:58:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

vampirequeen Sat 22-Feb-20 15:08:42

21 most of the time unless I'm with my mam then I'm 7.

joannapiano Sat 22-Feb-20 15:48:29

I am also the same age as Lulu. I am 70 and feel 70.
What does it matter, it’s only a number.
I’m the same dress size as I was at 30, and have grown my hair shoulder length to celebrate being 70, it’s stayed blondish.
I have 8 DGC and they all think I’m as old as Methuselah.

HettyMaud Sat 22-Feb-20 15:53:28

I'm 70 but probably feel 55. Certainly don't feel very young any more with saggy muscles, grey thinning hair, sunspots... starting to wish I'd taken a bit more care earlier. Fortunately not overweight but certainly do not have half the energy of 10 years ago. Lots of plans in my head every day but I only do about half of them.

Stillcrazy Sat 22-Feb-20 15:53:55

Think my name says it allgrin!!

MooM00 Sat 22-Feb-20 17:14:47

I feel 30 when sat down and 90 when trying to stand up. I went to see Lulu a couple of years ago and paid for the best seats on the front row to check her out then had a photograph taken with her afterwards. I want to say she really looked her age, but she looked fabulous.

EthelJ Sat 22-Feb-20 17:30:42

I always remember my mother saying in her head she feel she same as when she was 15. She was in her 60s at the time.
I don't know how old I feel. I don't think any particular age. I certainly don't feel old.

Firecracker123 Sat 22-Feb-20 17:37:10

I feel about 38 unfortunately I'm nearly 68 lol, but the upside I've got money now which I never had in my thirties and wrinkles and aches and pains ?

Doodledog Sat 22-Feb-20 17:43:56

If I don't look in the mirror, I probably feel about 30. Old enough to be adult and independent, but not 'old'.

It's only when other people make a point of mentioning age that I am conscious of it - I have a friend who is five years younger than me who never misses an opportunity to say that something was 'before her time'. It's irritating, as after the age fo 40 or so, five years is nothing.

lincolnimp Sat 22-Feb-20 17:44:54

Definitely 35 I do not understand where that woman I occasionally glimpse in the mirror comes ftom

Candelle Sat 22-Feb-20 17:54:04

I feel 18 ... Until I look in the mirror.

In my sixties I must have looked much younger as people seemed really really surprised when I declared my age which made me feel good. However since hitting my seventies, all that has changed. Now, no one bats an eyelid. Boo boo!

hapgran Sat 22-Feb-20 17:55:24

Mirror mirror on the wall-
I am my mother after all!!

Tickledpink Sat 22-Feb-20 18:36:10

In my head I'm not my real age, but this time next week I'll be celebrating my milestone 60th. My head says 30 my body says otherwise!

SparklyGrandma Sat 22-Feb-20 18:39:38

Sometimes when meeting friends from school I feel 15 but mostly I feel 45, I was in my prime then.

SparklyGrandma Sat 22-Feb-20 18:40:20

Happy birthday Tickledpink

Gingster Sat 22-Feb-20 18:45:38

I’m going to be 70 in July . (Am I the same age as Lulu)? Every time I think of my upcoming birthday, I honestly can’t believe I’m going to be that age. It seems incredible and unbelievable. I feel about 40 and a. Lucky to have good health. A lot of my friends aren’t so fortunate.

GreenGran78 Sat 22-Feb-20 19:25:20

I sing in my church choir, and whenever we have a funeral of someone elderly I look at their age and think, “Well, they had a good innings.” Then my second thought is that they are often around my age (80) or even younger.
I don’t really know what my age is, in my head, but certainly I haven’t felt that I am getting older for many years. I mix a lot with younger people, sing in three choirs and get plenty of exercise, and I think that helps to keep me young, in my head! I try not to look in the mirror too often though!