Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

How old are you in your head?

(148 Posts)
H1954 Fri 21-Feb-20 11:53:46

I have been listening to Radio 2 and Lulu has been the featured/interviewed artist this week.

She said that "in her head" she was still 16 and I was wondering how old the rest of us feel.

Incidentally, I'm around the same age as Lulu!

cas58 Tue 25-Feb-20 18:44:00

Well, I'm 62.....but in my head, in real life, I'm old enough to know better and young enough to do it!

Baggs Tue 25-Feb-20 09:11:21

You feel the same. You carry the same thoughts.

I don't agree with this. I don't think or feel the same as I did in my twenties or thirties. I put this down to greater experience, greater knowledge and, I like to think, greater wisdom.

I find it hard to even imagine how these things would not make a difference. Anyway, the result is that I feel as old as I am. That doesn't mean I feel like a lesser person than I did when I was younger. Rather the reverse: I know more, have felt more, done more, got over more.

This doesn't mean my personality or character has changed. Maybe that's what people really mean. I hope so because I think insisting one 'feels' younger all the time is ageist.

M0nica Mon 24-Feb-20 19:39:38

I do not have an inward mental age at all, I am not sure I have ever had one. In my head, is just a person I identify with, who is completely has no defining characteristics.

Flygirl Sun 23-Feb-20 23:53:35

I feel in my late twenties in my head. I work with a lot of young people which certainly helps. I just wish the outside matched the inside!

Greengage Sun 23-Feb-20 23:04:38

Am in my early 70s and am in reasonable health. Don't feel so very different from my 50s though I have always been immature for my age! Fell in love again in the last few years and so quite often feel like a lovesick teenager. Didn't realise that love in later life could be so good.

Hamp75 Sun 23-Feb-20 19:27:54

Soop. What a lovely sentiment. I wish I could feel so positive.

Hamp75 Sun 23-Feb-20 19:25:25

My mum always said that you never get old in your head. You feel the same. You carry the same thoughts.I always remember this when speaking to people even older than me. So many people talk down to the elderly. I look at them and picture their younger selves. I think I am perpetually mid thirties although I too am the same age as Lulu who I saw perform when she and I were 16.

Washerwoman Sun 23-Feb-20 18:29:53

Some days younger than my 60s.Although despite still occasionally getting the compliment I look younger ,when I look in the mirror I think eewh .I don't mind the wrinkles round the eyes,but hate the mouth ones.
This week though I have felt ancient.Have been sorting problems with very elderly mum and aunt.And my mum talks about who has died,funerals,how she has had enough- a lot. So today I drove home blasting Fleetwood Mac's Rumours out in the car.And for a brief while was 17 again !

soop Sun 23-Feb-20 13:26:32

I am one year shy of 80. Age is just a number that will never go into reverse gear, for which I'm grateful. I'm happy with who I am right now. The world around me still offers so much promise. I am very contented and grateful.

kwest Sun 23-Feb-20 12:17:41

45. Old enough to feel confident and have faith in my own instincts. Actually that is how I feel now but probably didn't when I was 45. I would like to be 30 (on reflection) but know what I know now.I sound a bit screwed up reading that back but I am really happy now apart from my dodgy knees. However I have found hat when I am gardening, doing aquarobics or Silver Swans ballet for over 55s, I forget how much the knees hurt.

Judumsbabe Sun 23-Feb-20 08:19:33

Definitely feel my age at present. Looked after two grandchildren in January for two and a half weeks 24/7 and currently looking after two under five, just over two weeks now and not sure for how much longer. Usually feel much younger though.

NfkDumpling Sun 23-Feb-20 07:46:54

I’m the same Nanniejc1. I can’t believe my DC are all in their 40’s. in my head they’re mid 30’s.

My DH was really suffering yesterday. The stupid idiot had been throwing DGS around in the swimming pool on Friday and his back was definitely 90+ yesterday. Hopefully he’ll be back in his 50’s today (he’s really 76).

Rufus2 Sun 23-Feb-20 07:34:35

t's irritating, as after the age fo 40 or so, five years is nothing
Doodledog Excuse me! Speak for yourself! grin
After the age of 90 even 6 months is everything! hmm
OoRoo

Gwenisgreat1 Sat 22-Feb-20 22:03:35

Probably about 40 until I see an old lady in the mirror and wonder who is she? Otherwise i'm 75!

Nanniejc1 Sat 22-Feb-20 21:58:24

I’m 68 but feel 45 in my head but then my daughter is 46 & I still think of my two eldest as 30ish (they are 46 & 44) ,my two youngest are 31 & 33 but I still think of them as early 20s.Its only when I look in the mirror ,feel stiff getting out of bed or look at my horrible knobbly arthritic hands that I feel older.

garnet25 Sat 22-Feb-20 21:50:14

I'm 73 but feel a lot younger than when I was working. Since retiring I've joined a gym and attend regularly, swim twice weekly and yoga once a week. The aim is to keep my body in working order. As for looks I am blessed with not having gone grey. However I'm as forgetful as hell and my eyesight is not brilliant.

willa45 Sat 22-Feb-20 21:31:28

Definitely no older than mid thirties......at least that's who I expect to see in my mirror everyday, but alas, I disappoint!

olliebeak Sat 22-Feb-20 21:12:22

In my head, I'm still 19 - and that was a 'pretty damn good year' wink!

Unfortunately, my two knee replacements and deteriorating hip/back tell a completely different story sad.

lemongrove Sat 22-Feb-20 20:49:35

I think probably in my head, late 40’s ( the mirror tells a different story.)
To be honest I can’t imagine feeling like a teenager, although I do remember it was nice at the time, carefree.

Sheilasue Sat 22-Feb-20 20:39:15

Sometimes I feel the age I am and sometimes I am 21 again

Vivian123 Sat 22-Feb-20 19:52:23

When I hit 60, a while ago, ok! a long time ago, my daughter bought me a 'T'Shirt which said ' I am not 60 but 18 with 42 years experience'. I have many more years experience, now, but still have the same mind-set. The brain thinks young but the body hasn't progressed as well. Yes I still think young and would love to follow this through, but arthritis, false hip and a crap body doesn't allow me. I still love life and live it a bit more sensibly than I did at 18, or do I!

Summerfly Sat 22-Feb-20 19:48:56

I still have a young outlook on life, keep myself fit, always get my hair and nails done and have regular facials. I wear classic clothes that never seem to date and still love my jeans and T shirts. Why give up just because I’m seventy?
Think young. It works for me. ?

GreenGran78 Sat 22-Feb-20 19:25:20

I sing in my church choir, and whenever we have a funeral of someone elderly I look at their age and think, “Well, they had a good innings.” Then my second thought is that they are often around my age (80) or even younger.
I don’t really know what my age is, in my head, but certainly I haven’t felt that I am getting older for many years. I mix a lot with younger people, sing in three choirs and get plenty of exercise, and I think that helps to keep me young, in my head! I try not to look in the mirror too often though!

Gingster Sat 22-Feb-20 18:45:38

I’m going to be 70 in July . (Am I the same age as Lulu)? Every time I think of my upcoming birthday, I honestly can’t believe I’m going to be that age. It seems incredible and unbelievable. I feel about 40 and a. Lucky to have good health. A lot of my friends aren’t so fortunate.

SparklyGrandma Sat 22-Feb-20 18:40:20

Happy birthday Tickledpink