Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Hospital appointment - should I go? Would you avoid or go?

(43 Posts)
Debs551964 Tue 03-Mar-20 11:44:57

I have just been diagnosed with Vasculitis. A horrible disease which shoots your immune system to pieces as does the treatment for it.
Over the past month I've been having test to find out what type and where its affecting me. Monday I'm due to have a follow up with a view to treatment. I apologies if some of you are fed up with everything Coronavirus but I'm worried at putting myself at risk of contracting this when I attend my appointment Monday. I really don't what to do ? am I being over dramatic?
What do you ladies think I should do bearing in mind I'll likely be put on steroid + possibly another drug which is an immune suppressant Would you go still? I'd appreciate. your personal opinions on this please. DH is useless to communicate with me, me pretty much saying I'm being over dramatic.
Thank you x

52bright Tue 03-Mar-20 18:52:46

My husband is having surgery on Friday and he is definitely going ahead with it. At present the risks of infection are low. The risks are likely to get higher if, as seems likely, more people contract the virus in the coming months. His feeling is better have his surgery now. Also as it's non urgent and he's already waited 18 months, he wants the surgery done now in case non urgent ops end up cancelled and he ends up waiting another 18 months or more.

Only you can decide what's best for you Debs but as a previous poster has said, the health risks of not attending your appointment seem worse for you than attending. flowers

Greenfinch Tue 03-Mar-20 18:56:53

You are very sensible tobe going. I think you would regret it if you didn't.Life must go on.

welbeck Tue 03-Mar-20 19:15:00

to say there are only 51 cases in the whole UK seems overly optimistic to me.
those are the known and announced cases.
how many carriers are there.
where are they.
what is the incubation period.
one person on a bus gets sneezed over or grabs a rail handled by a.n. other, and gathers particles of virus, which are then conveyed further when he scratches his nose on going out into the cold air.
he goes shopping, touches things, meets people, etc , and so on. it can grow exponentially. and unknown, as carriers can spread it without having any symptoms.
and do you honestly think everyone who shews symptoms is going to selflessly self-isolate. and go hungry, face eviction.
an uber driver rang the radio to say he knew several who would not, could not, go without income for 2 weeks. they will carry on, and so will many more.
the so-called advice/planning by the govt reminds me of those 4-minute warning films, to go home and paint your windows, tape the edges and get under a table. see the book, when the wind blows.
i know its not of that magnitude, of course, but the lack of useful strategy, gives little confidence.
i know what i'll be doing.

Harris27 Tue 03-Mar-20 19:40:11

I’ve got an appointment tomorrow after having kidney stone op just a check up. ButbI’m going!

welbeck Tue 03-Mar-20 23:57:35

good luck to every one
please keep posting on GN, so we know how you are all getting on.

Nansnet Wed 04-Mar-20 04:22:16

Put it this way, those people who decide to cancel necessary appointments for treatment/follow-ups, are basically putting themselves further at risk of becoming even more vulnerable than they already are. Go to your appointments and get the treatment you need right now. Don't delay for a few months, by which time your condition may have worsened without treatment, and you have potentially become more susceptible to contracting nasty bugs and viruses.

maddyone Wed 04-Mar-20 10:37:35

I couldn’t possibly leave this blessed cast on for a few more days, let alone weeks, I simply have to go. Then I’ll be attending physiotherapy for three months.
I know that saying there are only 51 cases at present perhaps seems overly confident, but it is at present the case, and so it seems to me to a no risk situation to go to the hospital. I think Nansnet is correct in that delay to treatment is more likely to put people at more risk.

JenniferEccles Wed 04-Mar-20 16:40:26

We are being urged to just get on with our lives, even those with underlying health problems, and your hospital appointment sounds important.

In your position I would definitely go.

Matina45 Sat 12-Jun-21 17:09:12

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Blossoming Sat 12-Jun-21 17:11:54

Spam. Reported.

Charleygirl5 Sat 12-Jun-21 17:24:50

Debs I have been going monthly pre-Covid and sometimes I am there for 7 hours. That is at least 18 months now. You will find that the waiting areas have all been socially distanced and the staff will wear masks as should you.

I am very careful when I am there and also when I return home I make sure the first thing I do is to wash my hands.

I personally think you may regret going if you decide against it. Take care.

Shelflife Sat 12-Jun-21 17:39:57

I recognize your fear but pleased you have decided to attend for your appointment. Like most people here I think your health is very important. A missed appointment may mean a very long wait for another. Good luck on Monday !

Hithere Sat 12-Jun-21 17:46:25

I am in the us in a high risk covid area and having 2+ hospital weekly appointments + hospitalizations since January- havent contracted it yet (now vaccinated)

So glad you are going

Katek Sat 12-Jun-21 18:04:24

I unexpectedly ended up as an inpatient earlier this year as an emergency admission so no choice! I was concerned about the Covid risk but emerged after 5 days totally unscathed. Hygiene measures were second to none. I’m sure you’ll be fine if you stick to the guidelines.

Mollygo Sat 12-Jun-21 19:18:25

I’m glad you’ve decided to go. Vasculitis is awful, so the sooner you get it assessed and the appropriate treatment in place, the better. That said, I was really nervous about DGS’s stay in hospital on a drip to treat a really bad inflammation. However, the cleanliness, sanitisation and care were wonderful and he’s out and well.

ElaineI Sat 12-Jun-21 19:20:59

How did you get on Debs? I have looked after patients with vasculitis. It is a horrible disease.

Sarnia Sat 12-Jun-21 19:28:34

If your consultant has asked to see you in person in the hospital then it will be for a good reason and will be safe. I know 2 people with vasculitis. Keep your appointment and get some help. I wish you well.