Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Did anyone else see the DM’s headline “Vulnerable could be told to isolate themselves at home from next week”

(64 Posts)
DillytheGardener Sat 07-Mar-20 09:21:52

Same as the subject line? I saw this headline and it disappeared, wonder if the government told them to pull it?

DoraMarr Sat 07-Mar-20 18:11:15

* Bluebell* I agree! In my city of over one million people there has been one confirmed case, who caught it at a conference out of the city. I am getting my news from the NHS and reputable newspapers, not hysteria inducing social media or sensationalist, doom- mongering newspapers.

jura2 Sat 07-Mar-20 18:21:56

and how on earth would they police this?

Had a phone call today to say that all U3A lectures and activities were cancelled till further notice.

Hetty58 Sat 07-Mar-20 18:33:22

If think that if/when it peaks (predicted to be in May/June) schools may well have staffing problems and some will close. People I know aren't panicking, just trying to plan ahead, wondering if their holiday plans will change etc.

Sparklefizz Sat 07-Mar-20 18:42:03

what about if you get caught up in quarantine situation while abroad, may not be able to return as/ when planned.

A friend's sister has not been able to get out of Italy to get home to Germany. She has been stuck there for 3 weeks now.

Sparklefizz Sat 07-Mar-20 18:46:38

At the moment the risk of catching Coronavirus is low

Actually, I disagree. I don't go out and about all that much for any exciting events, yet if I was going down with it and infectious, I could have infected dozens on the bus on Thursday, at the library on Friday, and on Saturday at Sainsbury's.

Gaunt47 Sat 07-Mar-20 18:52:55

bluebell your voice of reason and sanity will fall on deaf ears I'm afraid. All the 'coulds' and 'mights' have become certainties in a large part of the population.

Callistemon Sat 07-Mar-20 19:00:39

I haven't heard anything about U3A activities being cancelled.
It's my turn to make the tea/coffee this week.

Barmeyoldbat Sat 07-Mar-20 19:04:31

Well I am flying to Malta on the 20th March for a holiday, does that mean I can't go? I couldn't get a mask but I have made one which I must admit is rather good.

Sparklefizz Sat 07-Mar-20 19:54:38

I couldn't get a mask but I have made one which I must admit is rather good.

You will have to wash it after every wearing.

jura2 Sat 07-Mar-20 19:58:06

Calli, I live abroad, so it is our local U3A. Barmeyoldhat - no-one knows. I am supposed to fly to UK at that time. Wait and see.

Liz46 Sat 07-Mar-20 20:04:39

I am 73 and have damaged lungs. We'd normally be at the pub now chatting but are watching absolute rubbish on tv. I hadn't been out for a couple of days so we have just been for a walk.

Oh well, the house looks clean and tidy so it's an ill wind.

Barmeyoldbat Sat 07-Mar-20 20:31:54

Ah yes Sparklefizz I will have to wash it and that is why I making more. I will probably only wear it at the Airport and on the plane as the Dr I saw on Thursday suggested it.

Sparklefizz Sat 07-Mar-20 20:35:21

Making masks could be your new career move, Barmeyoldbat !! grin