Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What was the most heartfelt present you've ever got?

(24 Posts)
Urmstongran Sat 14-Mar-20 08:34:49

I just filled up after reading your post merlotgran.
?

Gingster Sat 14-Mar-20 07:44:02

How thoughtful of your daughter, Merlot and what a lovely keepsake. I’ve got tears too.

Nortsat Sat 14-Mar-20 07:36:07

My partner bought me a pair of glass earrings in the shape of teddy bears and then went into the ‘snooty’ jeweller in our town and had them transferred into a gold setting.
I still have them - some 40+ years later. ??

kittylester Sat 14-Mar-20 07:32:11

How lovely! merlot.

For my 70th birthday, our children bought me a family photo shoot and some photo frames.

GagaJo Sat 14-Mar-20 07:15:10

Oh merlotgran, that made me cry.

merlotgran Fri 13-Mar-20 23:18:20

DD died last May. She knew she wouldn't make it to my birthday in June so she gave me an early present which she had ordered online.

A silver bracelet with a heart inscribed, Mum, Always love you.

I never take it off.

grannyactivist Fri 13-Mar-20 22:31:55

Hmm - we have regular visits from a local man who has a severe mental illness. He only occasionally accepts a meal, but always has a cup of tea. Last year he arrived one day with a brown teapot that he had bought for me from a local charity shop. I confess I was so moved I got something in my eye and had to grab a tissue.

Humbertbear Fri 13-Mar-20 22:22:02

My husband bought me a very expensive pendant I coveted as a ‘thank you for looking after me’ when he had been very ill. He produced the box over dinner in a hotel. I told him it looked as if he was proposing!

GagaJo Fri 13-Mar-20 22:15:39

My grandson. He was an accident but has been the biggest source of joy, ever.

ginny Fri 13-Mar-20 21:55:36

On my DDs 21st birthday I received a beautiful bouquet. I thought it had been delivered to me by mistake . When I read the accompanying card it said ‘Thank You for having me’

Harris27 Fri 13-Mar-20 18:22:38

Sorry patent leather bag.

Harris27 Fri 13-Mar-20 18:22:16

My first Christmas with my husband we didn’t have much money he bought me a patent leather ( fakeof course) inside there was a purse and gloves and make up lipstick hankies etc. I’ve had radley bags and expensive jewellery since but that first Christmas will always stay in my mind.

eazybee Fri 13-Mar-20 18:17:09

A feather cushion just after I had given birth. Something kind to remember about my ex-husband.

vampirequeen Fri 13-Mar-20 18:13:22

Two presents stand out in my mind. One was a little metal fairy from the £1 shop. It was given to me by a little boy from a very poor family. His mam told me that he only got 25p a week pocket money and had saved for 4 weeks to buy it for me. The second was from a homeless man. He'd been taking shelter amongst the dustbins behind the houses. I used to take him a hot drink and sandwiches and stay for a chat. It was February and the man had no shelter other than the bins. DH told him how to make a bivouac with a sheet of polythene to help keep him dry. He was a lovely man who had simply suffered a series of life events that had ended up with him being homeless. Of course he was no angel but tbh if I was living on the streets I might be tempted to escape into alcohol or drugs. He lived there for a couple of weeks but then one day the police came to move him on. I went out to see why because he was doing no harm. Apparently a neighbour had called the police and told so many lies about him that they thought they were coming out to some sort of man axeman. Anyway the police officer was very sympathetic and suggested he went to camp in Little Switzerland (part of a local country park) where he could hide from prying eyes. The man gave me the last thing from home that he owned.....a little figure made out of nuts and bolts. Worthless in value but priceless to him and to me.

Grandad1943 Fri 13-Mar-20 17:57:52

The most heartfelt present I have ever received was when my wonderful wife of now fifty one years said she would marry me.

sodapop Fri 13-Mar-20 17:38:38

My granddaughter sent me a framed photo of all three of my grandchildren together. As one lives in America and the other two at opposite ends of UK this was a treat to have them altogether.

Poppyred Fri 13-Mar-20 16:06:55

One Christmas when the children were small and my parents stayed over, I got up on Boxing Day to find that my lovely mum had done all my ironing ( about 3 weeks worth). It meant more than any present.

CherryCezzy Fri 13-Mar-20 16:01:46

The first ring my WP (wonderful partner) bought me over 33 years ago. It was not an engagement ring, he knew better not to ask me that question grin. I have worn it ever since.

paddyanne Fri 13-Mar-20 14:23:24

My children and grandchildren spent a day together painting small self portraits for my birthday ,they even included a ? on a canvas for the baby who hadn't been born and my two cats.Its lovely and it means so much more because they chose to do it together .I love that they are all so close.I include In laws in children and I get on well with them tooI have them all in one frame on my kitchen wall .

LullyDully Fri 13-Mar-20 13:49:11

I was given a copy of Hilary Mantel 's new book this week for my birthday by DH. Can't wait to get stuck in it.

Nata Fri 13-Mar-20 13:17:16

*maybe your DS's DP is a family member, haha!

Nata Fri 13-Mar-20 13:16:12

Wow, rubysong are your DS's DP is a family member of my DH? He gave me a photo calendar with the photos from our summer vacation 2 years ago and I still have it on my wall because the photos are really heartwarming!

rubysong Fri 13-Mar-20 08:52:45

This Christmas I was given a calendar with wonderful photos, put together by DS2's DP (I do wish they would get married it would save all this explanation!,). They are such lovely pictures of their children and the other grandchildren, when they were over here from USA last summer.

CathTheWise Fri 13-Mar-20 06:56:50

Can you remember what was the most memorable and heartwarming present for you? Mine was the travel across several countries with my dear husband on our honeymoon, it was the time of our lives.