Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Kindle readers

(54 Posts)
Nannylovesshopping Mon 16-Mar-20 14:42:56

I get all my books from the local library, terrific service, but am guessing the libraries will be shutting their doors fairly soon.
I have always refused offers from my family re gifts of a kindle as I love the feel, smell and turning over pages of actual books.
Now however feel is the time to buy one, but although I am an accomplished shopper generally, on this I am stumped, I don’t know anyone who has one.
I’m hoping some of you will be able to advise which one to buy, I use glasses to read, does this make a difference as to which one to buy?
Any advice most welcome, thanks?

Maybellex Tue 28-Apr-20 13:24:57

My local library Leicestershire lets you. Orriw books virtually using the BorrowBox app. Works well on my kindle fire you can have them for 3 weeks. The popular ones have waiting lists. Works very well

Kalu Tue 28-Apr-20 13:43:25

I eventually stopped using my old kindle and got the kindle app on my iPad which gives me a back light to read without having to buy another tablet with this function.

It did take a while to get used to as opposed to reading a real book but I now enjoy the great selection of inexpensive books which I can download in a couple of clicks, even more so during self isolating.

Maybellex Tue 28-Apr-20 15:28:29

Just got an iPad and learning its idiosyncracies, that’s a word it can’t alter! Will have a look ant installing a kindle app.