Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

daughter coming to stay?

(23 Posts)
Curlywhirly Wed 25-Mar-20 20:46:36

I also wouldn't hesitate to let one of our children come back to live with us, neither would their dad. Just keep as distant as you can: separate towels, toothpaste, disinfect handles etc. If you are all self isolating, after 14 days, you can mix more.

TrendyNannie6 Wed 25-Mar-20 20:44:43

She’s your daughter, I would let her in. Just be careful and I hope she’s ok

Callistemon Wed 25-Mar-20 20:37:30

Yes, just be very careful and follow the guidelines boheminan

gillybob you would feel so much happier and not so fretful if your DD and DGD were with you.
I love most dogs but that dog needs to be rehomed so they can be safe with you. I hope you can manage to do that.

Oopsadaisy3 Wed 25-Mar-20 20:36:15

Boheminan does your DD have to go to work?

Are you self isolating because you have health issues?

or are you over 70?

If your DD is working then you will have to take a lot of precautions, but it can be done.

MerylStreep Wed 25-Mar-20 19:48:51

I wouldn't have to think twice: it's family.

crazyH Wed 25-Mar-20 19:38:56

She is your daughter - let her in.

rafichagran Wed 25-Mar-20 19:33:02

Let her in. She is your daughter. I hope she is ok.

M0nica Mon 23-Mar-20 10:47:07

I wouldn't think twice. Let her in.

harrigran Mon 23-Mar-20 10:43:42

I have enough knowledge of infectious diseases to say that I would be reluctant to admit anyone to my home on a semi permanent basis if they were going out to work each day.

gillybob Mon 23-Mar-20 09:22:06

I wish it could Riverwalk angry I don’t want to say too much . I suppose you can guess what has happened.

Riverwalk Mon 23-Mar-20 09:16:48

Lumbered with a dog - can that situation not be sorted somehow gilly?

gillybob Mon 23-Mar-20 09:13:25

I wish I could bring my DD and her baby here to stay with us . She is very frightened and lonely and I fear for her mental health if this goes on too long . Unfortunately she has been lumbered with a dog that I couldn’t possibly bring here .

So in answer to the OP , yes Bohemian I would let her stay . Safe and well and you can look out for each other.

Hetty58 Mon 23-Mar-20 08:55:35

My son has divided his house (he has lodgers) so that he no longer uses/shares the kitchen. He has his own kettle, fridge, microwave etc. and stays in his own rooms.

sodapop Mon 23-Mar-20 08:41:25

No question really, you have to help your daughter. On balance she is safer with you than looking elsewhere. Luckily you have space enough to accommodate her.

Did anyone else see the item this morning about a paramedic asked to leave his rented accommodation by his landlady in case he caught the virus. Shameful.

GagaJo Mon 23-Mar-20 08:17:02

Yes. My family. Granny, daughter, grandson.

I had to come back from overseas. I think we're all ok. 6 days until we know we're all clear.

eazybee Mon 23-Mar-20 08:16:57

Let her stay; you have plenty of room and can keep away from each other; needs must.

boheminan Mon 23-Mar-20 08:15:14

Thank youflowers. You're all echoing how I feel, but somehow with everything else, I just cannot seem to think straight...

Riverwalk Mon 23-Mar-20 08:12:49

Of course you must let her stay, in the circumstances.

There are lots of multi-generational families who live together.

Maggiemaybe Mon 23-Mar-20 08:06:21

The advice on here about distancing yourself in the same house is aimed at people who have symptoms, but is also relevant to your situation until you are sure she is clear.

www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/self-isolation-advice/

Maggiemaybe Mon 23-Mar-20 07:58:11

There only seems to be one option here, OP. If she’s nowhere else to go what else can you do but take her in? There’s advice online as to how you can stay apart in the same house. It shouldn’t be too difficult in a big house, but you should of course already be doing it.

Shelmiss Mon 23-Mar-20 07:57:15

I would definitely let her in, she’s your daughter. Where else would she go if she’s been kicked out?

tanith Mon 23-Mar-20 07:55:19

Well it’s not ideal but like you I wouldn’t see my child on the streets. Can you stay away from each other for the time being as your home is roomy? Is she still going to work? I wish you luck.

boheminan Mon 23-Mar-20 07:51:20

My mind's scrambled and I can't think straight, so I hope maybe someone here can gently nudge me in the right direction.

The two of us are self isolating (have been for 6 days) no signs or CV.

However, my daughter turned up on my doorstep yesterday (6 ft away) as she's been chucked out of her home (don't ask!). She's been self isolating for 3 days, is fit and has no signs of the virus. I don't know what to do, obviously I can't sling her out. She has no one else to go to. Fortunately the house is big and there is room for her (with the addition she has a car and could get shopping in for us).

What you kind grannies do?