Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Sick Brother

(67 Posts)
Camelia3 Mon 23-Mar-20 08:15:49

Should I travel to visit my sick brother? He has had half a lifetime of respiratory problems but continued to work as a firefighter until retirement. He has been admitted to hospital as he has contracted Covid19. He is very poorly indeed. His lovely wife is also ill with the same, but has no underlying health conditions. They are both 69. Should I travel the 170 miles to see them. I fear the worst for my brother ?

icanhandthemback Mon 23-Mar-20 11:18:44

Absolutely not. Do not ring the hospital either, they are far too busy to take calls from loads of relatives. Has your brother got children you can ring to get information from? There is no point in risking your health and, as hard as it is to sit back and wait, this is what you need to do. I am sorry you have this worry.

Beanie654321 Mon 23-Mar-20 11:24:52

I'm so sorry Camelia3 but no visitors at all for positive results, they will not let you in. Xxxx

4allweknow Mon 23-Mar-20 11:26:42

You should wait. If his wife appoints you to visit on her behalf you may well be allowed in if situation deteriorates. Other than that you should stay well away from both. Such an awful situation but you do have to consider everyone, including yourself.

TrendyNannie6 Mon 23-Mar-20 11:29:36

So very sorry to hear this, sending you a virtual hug

Molly10 Mon 23-Mar-20 11:35:44

So sorry to here that Camelia3. My thoughts would be I would want to see him, speak to him etc but we all know that the reality is we would not be allowed and should not visit/travel.

It is a dilemma. My thoughts are with you and all those affected in this way.

PamelaJ1 Mon 23-Mar-20 11:45:29

My sister in law has had it, she is still in isolation.

I thank God that we were on holiday or we would have visited before she was diagnosed.
If your brother is really very ill he probably does not care who is visiting him. Just support his close family from afar.

Hope he, like my sister I’m law recovers and they have the resources needed in his hospital.

luluaugust Mon 23-Mar-20 11:51:21

So sorry, every instinct makes us want to rush to our families in time of illness but you must not do it. Stay safe yourself so that when this is all over you are fit to help the members of your family who need it. Phone your SIL if she is able to talk and keep her company for a while.

red1 Mon 23-Mar-20 11:52:52

yes ,i would say visit if you can, what if you don't,would you be able live with yourself?

Jani Mon 23-Mar-20 11:56:05

Camelia I am so sorry for you - lots of hospitals have different rules but my daughter is a consultant anaesthetist and she said you wouldn’t be able to visit - for your sake and passing the virus on. You can ring but obviously they are so busy may take a while to answer. I hope we all keep safe - big hugs to you though at this very difficult time.

grandtanteJE65 Mon 23-Mar-20 12:04:30

I feel very sorry for you indeed, but no, IMO you should definitely not travel 170 miles to visit.

If you feel you must go, phone the hospital and ask if you will be admitted. Don't go on spec. Here you would not be allowed in.

Madmaggie Mon 23-Mar-20 12:04:31

Camelia3. Sending you love & sympathy in your dilemma. Phone the ward, send your love.the hardest, most heroic thing you can do is to stay at home. Hoping you all come through. I dread being in same position. Have made it clear to my children they must stay away no matter what.

LIZZIE28 Mon 23-Mar-20 12:07:57

Camelia3 - sending love and best wishes to you at this difficult time. Hope your dear brother and his wife get well soon.

Maybe send a good old-fashioned hand-written letter - letting them know they in your thoughts/prayers - then arrange to visit as soon as this ghastly situation behind us?

Take care. xx

Jishere Mon 23-Mar-20 12:10:41

I'm sorry to hear your news it is very sad. But being isolation I can't see our you would be able to see him.

Phone the hospital and see what they say but you could risk yourself and others being infected.

grannyactivist Mon 23-Mar-20 12:11:53

I understand your concern, but the very strong advice is to stay at home. My daughter, who works in ICU, says that adults are not allowed any visitors and children’s visits are limited to two. Other hospitals may have different rules of course. flowers

Bobdoesit Mon 23-Mar-20 12:20:38

No! Simples.

Grannyhall29 Mon 23-Mar-20 12:22:41

Sorry to hear this but the hospital wouldn't let you in to see him, my brother in law was taken in but my sister wasn't allowed to go to the hospital with him, even though she is his carer and because he has dementia he wouldn't understand what was happening to him

Rosina Mon 23-Mar-20 12:22:52

This is a long trip that might end in great disappointment if they won't let you see him. Why not, as others have said, phone and have a chat with him? I'm sure you will be allowed to do this, unless he is too poorly to speak right now (i.e using oxygen perhaps ) and they could give you an idea of a better time. Why not send a photo of your smiling face to his or his wife's phone, and tell him you will ring? That's the next best thing to your presence and I'm sure it will help him a lot. xx

Caro57 Mon 23-Mar-20 12:37:03

So sorry to hear this. To be honest I am not sure the hospital would welcome you- could you arrange a FaceTime- or similar- call and keep you and those around him safer?

52bright Mon 23-Mar-20 13:08:31

Camelia I am so sorry to hear how sick your brother is. These are terrible times. Before you make any decision I think I would try to find out from the hospital whether or not they would even let you in if you travelled. If they tell you 'No' then the decision has been made for you. If they tell you yes, then I'm afraid that you have some very difficult choices and decisions to make bearing in mind your own health as well as your very natural desire to go to your brother. flowers

tickingbird Mon 23-Mar-20 13:21:38

So sorry to read this. I concur with others that I doubt you’d be allowed to see him. A terrible situation for you and your family. It certainly brings it home how serious this situation is. Sending positive thoughts to you flowers

Seefah Mon 23-Mar-20 13:54:28

I’m so sorry ? that’s very tough. I have no idea what’s right or wrong . But my understanding is covid is airborne transmission and stays in the air 3 hours. You would be at risk without goggles, mask, gloves, etc. It might be hard for him if you show up like an astronaut, he might not want the stress of putting you at risk ( by car only I hope) . In Italy nurses are holding patients iPads with video messages so patients see their loved ones. It’s so heartbreaking this and to be honest I feel so sorry for all of us, the loneliness, fear, uncertainty and sadness of possible loss. I have to have a good cry every so often ( not like me I’m normally a tough cookie ) and I’m definitely not forgetting my prayers these days.

SalsaQueen Mon 23-Mar-20 13:58:23

Sorry to hear that, but NO, you mustn't visit - I doubt you'd be allowed to anyway - as you'll catch it and then infect everyone you'd be in contact with. He's being looked after, so hope for the best.

newnanny Mon 23-Mar-20 14:01:35

No one is allowed to use mobile phones in ICU. Ring and see if you could visit but check he would know you if you went. I say this as if very ill patients are sedated and often given morphine for pain too so sleep all the time. I very much hope your brother and SiL recover. At least there are ventilators ATM. In a couple of weeks there may be none not in use.

jocork Mon 23-Mar-20 14:39:22

So sorry to hear about your brother Camelia. I know it is hard but we all need to stay away from danger to protect both ourselves and those dealing with this in the NHS. Cancelled visits from family are making us all sad especially those of us who live at a distance and don't get together very often, but hopefully by doing the right thing we will come through this with all those opportunities in the future when this crisis is over. I hope that will be true for you too. Virtual hugs to all who are longing for real ones!

Jaye53 Mon 23-Mar-20 15:31:40

Ellenvanin. NO she cant visit.