Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Sick Brother

(67 Posts)
Camelia3 Mon 23-Mar-20 08:15:49

Should I travel to visit my sick brother? He has had half a lifetime of respiratory problems but continued to work as a firefighter until retirement. He has been admitted to hospital as he has contracted Covid19. He is very poorly indeed. His lovely wife is also ill with the same, but has no underlying health conditions. They are both 69. Should I travel the 170 miles to see them. I fear the worst for my brother ?

Greciangirl Mon 23-Mar-20 15:54:56

Does anyone listen or read the news.

Why would you go and visit someone who is seriously ill with this dreadful virus. Family or no family. It just wouldn’t happen.
As it is, we are all mainly told to isolate ourselves, so why visit a sick person in hospital.
Think about it.

Bluecat Mon 23-Mar-20 17:11:08

Camelia3 I am so sorry for your trouble. I hope you get good news. I believe people are right about you not being allowed to visit in hospital. You also need to think of the risk to yourselves.

willa45 Mon 23-Mar-20 17:27:32

Camelia3

So sorry to hear this. Is there any way you can arrange to see him through 'FaceTime' or 'Skype'? Talk to your SIL or his doctors to see if that can be arranged. Sending you a virtual hug in these trying times. You are all in my prayers

GrannyLaine Mon 23-Mar-20 17:38:58

EllanVannin
I see no reason why you shouldn't be allowed to see him

Maybe the fact that he is suffering from CV19??? Words fail me!

GreenGran78 Mon 23-Mar-20 18:17:08

My friend's 96 year old father is in hospital, dying of old age, and doesn't have cv, but they won't let her in to say goodbye. She is distraught.
Sad as it is, hospital staff have far too much to cope with right now. Visitors increasing the risk of spreading infection is just adding to their problems.
I'm so sorry, Camelia, but you are better off at home, rather than risk getting infected too. I hope that family members can keep you up to date with the situation, and that they both make a good recovery.

Sparklefizz Mon 23-Mar-20 18:33:22

Camelia So sorry to hear about your brother, but I very much doubt that you would be allowed to visit him. It just wouldn't be possible or a good idea from the infection point of view, as others have said.

Sending you a virtual hug. These are difficult times for all of us. Keep safe and well everybody.

Dustyhen2010 Mon 23-Mar-20 19:34:45

I was just saying to my DD today that if I got the virus I wouldn't want her to risk her health by visiting the hospital.

Hetty58 Mon 23-Mar-20 19:42:24

Care homes and hospitals are closing their doors to visitors. They have a duty to protect people. We have a severe public health crisis so it's the right thing to do.

BlueBelle Mon 23-Mar-20 20:14:03

red1 very poor post not acceptable at all it’s out of her hands and playing a guilt card is most unkind

GabriellaG54 Tue 24-Mar-20 00:48:03

I'm very sorry for your brother, his wife and the dilemma in which you find yourself.
From what I have read, penned and spoken by the medical profession re visiting in these circumstances, the answer would be no.
Even relatives unfortunate to have loved ones at the end of their life due to Covid-19, have been turned away at the hospital doors, so to speak.
I saw it myself on BBC news several days ago.
Staff have enough to do without making sure that visitors have protective clothing etc etc...I'm sure you see the futility of expecting to be allowed anywhere near a crisis-ridden hospital which puts others and yourself at risk.
I'm frankly very surprised that you even thought it possible.
It's like going into the lion's den.

I hope your brother and his wife recover fully and that you can find peace knowing that you did the right thing by staying away.
?

GabriellaG54 Tue 24-Mar-20 00:51:31

People's expectations and lack of sense, just confounds me...(shakes head)

GabriellaG54 Tue 24-Mar-20 00:59:16

I think anyone talking about phone calls with or facetiming someone in hospital with Covid-19, who almost always have breathing difficulties and are lying down, on oxygen and hooked up to all sorts of other machinery, respirators etc, needs a reality check.

Baloothefitz Tue 24-Mar-20 02:31:35

My younger brother is in Intensive Care with Covid 19,no visitors allowed, not even his wife . I agree with Ninathenana please don't call the hospital, the staff are run ragged already & can't be answering calls constantly. Contact a relative for news. It is such a sad & difficult time now.I wish everyone & their loved ones well .

Txquiltz Wed 25-Mar-20 00:16:15

What a difficult time for you and your family. You might phone the vicar in the town where the hospital is. Rarely are clergy barred from even the worst patients. He might pass a message on for you or have suggestions. The likelihood of the hospital allowing you contact is nil. If it is potentially dangerous for you to go to the local shop, how much more dangerous a hospital would be. I wish you strength for today.

Alexa Wed 25-Mar-20 09:20:06

Dear Camelia, I hope your brother and sister in law are both a little better today.

Naty Wed 25-Mar-20 15:24:42

Do not visit. Stay exactly where you are.