Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What's for dinner?

(56 Posts)
Riverwalk Sat 28-Mar-20 17:45:47

I'm spoilt for choice as had an Ocado delivery and bought a few things from the local deli - pondering on a sirloin steak or crab cakes. smile

Dottydots Sun 29-Mar-20 10:52:22

I must sound a bit boring after reading what other folks are eating. We are having shepherds pie, with carrots and cauliflower cheese. No pudding but we will probably have an ice cream cornet later in the evening.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 29-Mar-20 10:54:10

Roast chicken with Delia stuffing.
Broccoli and cauliflower
Roast Parsnips and carrots
Roast potatoes
Home made gravy
Glass of Pinot (bottle already open)

travelsafar Sun 29-Mar-20 11:48:56

I am having a light meal today, we had a roast dinner yesterday. I will have homemade tomato soup which i made yesterday and DH fancies a pasty that he spied in the fridge. smile

BradfordLass73 Mon 30-Mar-20 04:48:53

I was lucky enough to get an Edmond's Bliss Balls mix from the food bank, so made that up (sugar free) and will have a couple of those with a cup of green tea.

I've just been reading up on the research into green and Oolong teas: they reduce blood pressure, help stabilise blood sugar in diabetics, kill streptococci and fight flu viruses - not sure if that includes C-19, possibly not.

I had heard green tea was good but until I read the research today I didn't know how well the stuff works. Good job I have some in the cupboard smile

Baggs Mon 30-Mar-20 07:50:41

Yesterday we had chicken that was marinated in oyster sauce then fried in a wok with cashew nuts, ginger & turmeric. Alongside we had sweet potato, beetroot and carrot 'chips' roasted in the oven.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 30-Mar-20 07:54:19

Today it is Haddock baked in the oven with pesto, green beans, mushrooms and cauliflower.

TerriBull Mon 30-Mar-20 09:03:53

Last night, roast chicken, roast potatoes, broccoli and carrots
The treat of the day was finding a jar of apricots in whisky that someone had given us at Christmas, that seems a long time ago now, and we had those with some salted caramel ice cream lurking in the freezer, don't normally have puddings, except on Sunday sometimes. Still some leftover to finish today.

Marydoll Mon 30-Mar-20 09:41:25

Today it's chicken Maryland, with all the trimmings, for dinner, a blast from the past.

merlotgran Mon 30-Mar-20 09:53:35

It's our wedding anniversary today - 52 years. Flippin' heck!

Dinner tonight will be a tribute to our favourite restaurant we used to frequent in the late sixties so....

Prawn cocktail followed by steak chasseur and Black Forest gateau.

Although we have a bottle of Blue Nun in the wine rack (delivered by Sainsbury's as a substitute for sauv blanc, the rotters!) I think that might be a step too far. We'll toast our loved ones with a bottle of Prosecco I squirrelled away before Lockdown.

annsixty Mon 30-Mar-20 10:09:10

Congratulations merlotgran and your H.
We are also having a celebration dinner of sorts.
Today would have been my H’s birthday, the first without him although because of his dementia he had not celebrated for several years, not understanding.
I have my S and GD living with me so tonight we are remembering him with fillet steak, dauphinois potatoes, mushrooms and tenderstem broccoli .
All purchased yesterday from M&S simply food who seemed to have full shelves and only a five minute wait to be allowed in.
Needless to say it was my GD who shopped, not me.

merlotgran Mon 30-Mar-20 11:23:00

That sounds lovely, annsixty. Cooking memorable meals is a great way to celebrate.

I'm just relieved I managed to get everything I needed otherwise it would have been a 'modified' dinner.

sodapop Mon 30-Mar-20 12:33:33

We have a glut of eggs as we have chickens so it's omelettes for us tonight.

merlotgran Mon 30-Mar-20 13:40:58

I'm going to make a Black Forest gateau out of four slices of gluten free chocolate cake, a tin of black cherries and some crème fraiche grin

BradfordLass73 Tue 31-Mar-20 07:11:58

It was 30 degrees Celsius on my deck this afternoon. It's a suntrap so no indication of temps elsewhere in Waitakere.

I sat outside with a mixed salad, boiled egg an hummus and tried to enjoy it but it was far too hot and I had to come in.

I'd made a microwaved coffee cake for the first time yesterday and after it had rested, covered, in the fridge overnight, I added some coffee buttercream.
A wee slice of that was enjoyed with my Green Tea for 'afters'.

Grannynannywanny Tue 31-Mar-20 08:45:23

Kittylester how do you make your butter chicken? Are there many ingredients?

Greyduster Tue 31-Mar-20 09:04:07

Tonight is shepherd’s pie, carrots and broccoli. Not my favourite, but it is DH’s. I had my favourite last night when I ate a portion of the lamb stew my GS had made. It was truly delicious.
Blue Nun, Merlot! That’s a blast from the past!

Whitewavemark2 Tue 31-Mar-20 09:16:53

Veggie day

Basmati vegetable pilaff

merlotgran Tue 31-Mar-20 09:41:27

We're having a veggie (not vegan) day as well.

Dinner will be home made beetroot burgers (from the freezer) topped with goat's cheese and chilli sauce.

I think I'll make a mixed bean salad as well.

grumppa Tue 31-Mar-20 10:47:04

Stocks were getting low last time I visited Waitrose, and I had to make do. So last night it was venison steaks for us, and we still have in reserve haunch of venison, venison burgers, fillet steak and bavette. We will survive...

ginny Tue 31-Mar-20 10:51:27

Tonight will be Chicken Mole with rice , broccoli and green beans. Fruit and yogurt for pud.

annodomini Tue 31-Mar-20 11:02:07

I have plenty of eggs so it could be an omelette. Alternatively, a risotto with peas and prawns from the freezer.

travelsafar Tue 31-Mar-20 21:56:17

I had homemade tomato soup with homemade bread rolls for my evening meal. The rolls I made yesterday and they were tasty but the tops were too hard. Left them overnight in a poly bag and but this evening they had soften up enough to eat.smile

Greenfinch Tue 31-Mar-20 22:03:26

We had shepherd's pie or should it be cottage? As I made it with quorn perhaps it needs another name. We had it with cabbage and mushrooms followed by New York cheesecake courtesy of Tesco.

Soupy Tue 31-Mar-20 22:13:34

We had the last of the fresh pasta from the fridge with a h/m bolognaise sauce and a bit of grated cheddar.

Followed by a slice of Purple Peril, which is merely an old Family Circle recipe of whisked up half set jelly with a small tin of evaporated milk, put in a biscuit base.

Yummy!

bikergran Tue 31-Mar-20 22:24:35

Curried beans on toast , how exciting lol (you wouldn't believe I work in a supermarket would you\confused

Just come down for a bowl of cornflakes as couldn't sleep.