Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

contact with grandchildren

(33 Posts)
grannyornot Sun 05-Apr-20 14:47:52

Anybody still seeing there grandchildren in this difficult time.

MamaCaz Sun 05-Apr-20 14:55:24

Only via Facebook or WhatsApp.

Strangely, I am seeing far more of the older two now (7 & nearly 9) than I was before all this started, because they must be getting bored at home so have started contacting me on Facebook to play games.

Chewbacca Sun 05-Apr-20 15:06:09

My GC live on the same road as me, just a few houses away and so I see them as they are out walking or cycling each day. I can talk to them whilst I stand on my doorstep and they're about 15 feet away on the pavement. I'm extremely lucky, I know that, but I do miss just being able to hug and hold them, like everyone else do too.

Mo49 Wed 29-Apr-20 15:09:59

I see my 7 year old grandson every night on skype. I have read him stories, but I wonder if anyone can suggest games to play with him?

AGAA4 Wed 29-Apr-20 15:18:43

I haven't seen any of my grandchildren since lockdown. Missing them very much especially the baby as he is changing so much as they do in first year.

storynanny Wed 29-Apr-20 15:23:26

The two we pick up from school a couple of times a week usually are around the corner so wave to them on our daily cycle ride, the toddler we look after once a week we cycle by also a couple of times a week, but the 5 overseas is facetime at the weekend as usual.

harrigran Wed 29-Apr-20 16:02:48

I haven't seen mine since February half term holiday and can't justify driving past their house as it is forty five minutes away.
I have seen them on WhatsApp but last week teenage GD thought she was too busy to even wave to us.
It hurts a little when I see neighbours disregarding the rules and visiting the GPs. This afternoon I saw my immediate neighbour's GD drive up and walk straight into the house, she is an adult and should have known better.

hulahoop Wed 29-Apr-20 16:11:02

Only via face time etc looking forward to the cuddles I agree harrigran it annoys me too .

ninathenana Wed 29-Apr-20 18:17:36

A neighbour has had her GC at her house a couple of times. Mum and dad are key workers and both work shifts and are called on to do sudden over time. So the GC have been with her on a couple of occasions. She is the first to admit that this is wrong but feels trapped.
The adults don't come in, just watch the children enter the house.
I don't know what I'd do in her shoes.

Katyj Wed 29-Apr-20 19:08:59

There’s nothing I want more at the moment than to see my gorgeous grandchildren aged 17, 2 and 5 it’s like a physical ache. I have two neighbours both still seeing theirs for no good reason other than they want to,and one of the grans is in the very vulnerable category ☹️

Fi66 Thu 30-Apr-20 12:23:08

My little GD at the start of Lockdown used to hug the phone when we video called my DD. Now at 19 months she screams when I video call her Mama - we think she wants all her attention and has now realised I can't play with her.
We limit our calls now to about 2 minutes before the tantrum starts. I don't want her to learn that seeing Granma is a bad thing!
Its very hard - my first grandchild. I'm 64 and live alone but would never put them or me at risk so just look forward to when we can be close again.

Fi66 Thu 30-Apr-20 12:26:18

If any of you experienced Grandmas have any tips for how to have a happier video call with a toddler - see my comment above - Id be very grateful! It does hurt but of course she's not old enough to understand.

MissAdventure Thu 30-Apr-20 12:32:42

I'm sorry to say this, but I expect it's quite difficult to keep a young child's attention for too long, however riveting their grandparents are. smile

I wouldn't like to be put in front of a camera and expected to chat for too long, or too often.

LadyGracie Thu 30-Apr-20 13:44:03

Our 3 year old GD asks to speak to us, she says hello then whizzes round the room for a minute or so, kisses her dads phone shouts bye and cuts us off.

DD has had the virus and had to isolate in the main bedroom with en suite, mother of GD above. Daddy WhatsApp mummy so GD could speak to her, GD screamed I don’t want to video mummy, I want to give her a hug sad

dontmindstayinghome Thu 30-Apr-20 13:58:24

I still see my Grandaughter as her Mum is a keyworker and we provide her childcare.

Myself and OH are not vulnerable and we are self isolating so she is safer with us than anywhere else. She can also wave to her Great Grandma through the window. She has asthma so we are scrupulously careful.

I feel very lucky as I know most people on her are missing their families terribly.

ValerieF Thu 30-Apr-20 18:17:37

Just wondering why you are asking the question grannyornot? Are you? or are you going to clamp down on people who say they are?

I see my grandchildren all the time....(but am not putting anyone of us at risk ) so how does that fit in with your question?

Fi66 Fri 01-May-20 15:26:07

LadyGracie Made me laugh. Yesterday - shes 19 months - said Hi Granma, showed me her snack, then said Night Night. So funny. And ran around the dining table.
Thanks for replying

Nansnet Tue 05-May-20 04:52:12

We haven't seen our GD since December. DS & DiL live in another country, and we try to visit every other month or so. We'd planned to visit them again in February, but it wasn't to be.

GD is 20 months old now, and she's changed/developed so much since we last saw her. It breaks my heart that we're missing out on so much. We speak to them most days on Skype but, as others have mentioned, you can't expect a toddler to be interested for more than a minute or two, then she's off, whizzing around the house! She will come and wave bye-bye, and kisses the screen, and now says 'I love you', which melts my heart!

We can't wait until it's safe for us all to visit each other again, and to be able to have proper hugs & kisses. We just hope she doesn't completely forget us before then!

ginny Tue 05-May-20 07:54:14

I see mine on Wattsapp and zoom . 17 year old is happy to have a chat. 4 year old usually wants to show me toy, some new skill he has acquired or something he has made or baked. Once or twice a week he asks me to read him a story.
He hugs himself and the throws his arms open to send the hug to me when he says goodbye. Love to see them both but often tear up when they have gone.
As someone else said not seeing close family is a physical ache.

Loulou31 Tue 05-May-20 14:38:07

Have only really been contacted when they want something! We've been a bit disappointed they've not been in touch much, usually me texting them. Having said that I'm quite enjoying less stress during lockdown not having to constantly chase to see if I'm feeding anyone or taking them anywhere, so maybe my own fault. Just so grateful to all those who are still working to keep us safe and carrying on.

LorB Tue 05-May-20 15:37:24

My 9 year old granddaughter lives with us, I'm sure some of you would say you would love that ! But it is hard work especially during these awful times.

nainy Thu 14-May-20 08:27:10

New to gransnet. So glad to hear the term physical ache because that's exactly what I've been feeling. Also glad to hear that so many are not seeing their grandchildren. You feel like you're the only gran in the world not seeing GC when the family next door have visits all the time from grandparents!

Coolgran65 Thu 14-May-20 08:47:56

Ds1 brings his two to the end of our drive about once a week and we have a five minute chat.
FaceTime others on a weekend.

The one we miss most and would be able to see at a distance is 3 year old dgs who is with his mum. Mum and dad (our ds3) coparent and are separated, and mum has felt that covid19 is good reason not to let dgs go to daddy. Daddy hasn’t seen him for 8 weeks despite Court Oder and gov guide lines.
Daddy FaceTimes him every evening but 3 year old is often more interest in the cartoons that mum has on tv. His solicitor has confirmed she is in contempt of court but the Family Court is not sitting at present.

nananet01 Thu 14-May-20 09:42:42

How lucky you are to know that at least this will end and you will hold and hug your grandchildren again. My daughter stopped us seeing ours aged 12 and 7 in March 2018 after a disagreement. 10 years of our lives, given completely, just cut out. I've tried but I seemed damned of I do or don't. Even in these unprecedented times, nothing. I've sent flowers and my hopes they are all okay, nothing.
So place yourself in my shoes for a moment, although I'd wish the heartache on no one.

curvygran Thu 14-May-20 23:36:04

My toddler granddaughter is in Australia, she has just got a new baby brother. All visits of course postponed/abandoned so no hugs for me for a very, very long time ! It’s doubly hard with a new baby who I probably won’t meet until he’s at least 6 months old . So many of us have sadness now in your lives, but nothing can be as bad as losing a beloved family member so we must count our blessings and wait it out .