Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Is it just me?

(162 Posts)
Parky Tue 14-Apr-20 08:42:36

Am I the only one who, apart from concern for others, is enjoying the lockdown? We live in a town which is usually always noisy with traffic and chatter, but now on my daily exercise walk I can hear all the birds singing and find peace and quiet.

I'm a bit deaf and have trouble hearing usually, and certainly never hear bird song in our noisy society.

Harmonygranny Tue 14-Apr-20 10:11:15

Same as you halfpint. My daughter and family live near Geneva and I haven't seen them since January. Thank goodness for FaceTime etc. Hope you can do that with yours? I find I MUST expose myself to uplifting groups on Facebook too. It really helps. Recommend Youtube contributions by Dr Bruce Lipton, Greg Braden, Eckhart Toll e etc who show us how to take our power back in this situation. ?

Florida12 Tue 14-Apr-20 10:12:05

Loving it. I live alone anyway, and like my own company. I do miss going out for my two mile walk every day though, so I walk around my garden instead, like the poor caged bears in the zoo.
I love the “what day is it?” Mental challenge every day.
Take care everyone.x

annifrance Tue 14-Apr-20 10:13:08

I'm loving it, and now it will go on for another 4 weeks here in France. Good. Were getting lots done in the grounds and some in the house.

It's a bit hairy financially, however DH can work and I'm keeping fingers crossed that we get a rush of last minute bookings when hopefully the lockdown is lifted later. I shall we out some sous for pool chemicals soon and get the pool up and running.

As my friend said if you have a brain why would you be bored? I have so many things to do I suspect I will be a bit annoyed when it all stops as it will encroach on my time!

This is my personal view, and am so feeling for those with the virus, those who have lost family and friends, those living on their own and those in flats especially with children.

Taichinan Tue 14-Apr-20 10:13:20

It has its moments certainly. Lack of time constraints is one as it's so relaxing. I hadn't realised how tired I was by my daily and weekly routine until I no longer felt tired! I'm just loving the undemanding peace.

Houndi Tue 14-Apr-20 10:13:32

I have brought a hot tub so myvhusband a frontvline worker when he comes home can relax in it

grove1234 Tue 14-Apr-20 10:15:45

Yes I'm peacefully content , My family remain well .Occasionally shops /freedom /visiting .

Corkie91 Tue 14-Apr-20 10:17:03

Im hating the lock down not seen anyone in 3 weeks driving me mad

Janebuck Tue 14-Apr-20 10:17:37

I am enjoying aspects of the world pause and opportunity to reflect about what is important
This does not negate the sadness I feel for my colleagues in the NHS or people who have lost loved ones

Dillyduck Tue 14-Apr-20 10:20:35

Polnan, has anyone told you about "Way Up"? It's an online forum for widows and widowers, NOT a dating agency, but for support and friendship. I found it really helpful.

I have a son with severe learning difficulties, who now lives in his own flat, ready for the day when I'm no longer alive. In the mean time, I give him lots of support, and go to endless meetings to help others in a similar position. Some of them are very stressful. Now they are all postponed, and I'm able to indulge myself doing dressmaking, and generally getting round to all the jobs I never have time for. My road is usually one of the busiest C roads in Hampshire, not any more. The industrial estate down the road is closed. Only the occasional car and tractor going past. Bliss. I mist going out and about, but am enjoying other things. I used to live in a mining town 1,000 miles away from anywhere in outback Australia, a lovely relaxed lifestyle, just like it is here now!

janipans Tue 14-Apr-20 10:21:16

I'm loving it! I have discovered my inner gardener! We are not allowed out at all as my partner is at high risk and no longer fit enough to do the gardening. Our back garden alone is 140 ft by about 35ft and I have pruned the fruit trees and roses, dug over the veg patch and planted raspberry canes, (other veg to follow), done all the weeding and lawn cutting (front as well), cleaned and oiled our decking, painted our garden benches and jet washed the hard areas. Today I'm going to tackle the pond and pump - wish me luck - it's going to be very mucky!!

henetha Tue 14-Apr-20 10:23:56

It's certainly got it's upside for loners like me. I'm pretty used to being isolated anyway and am not really missing anyone except my sons. Even meeting my local friends causes me some stress, so it's nice to have a break from that.
But I do miss my lone outings in my car to moors or seaside.
It's being confined which I don't like. But I've got a nice garden to sit in so I'm lucky.

Theoddbird Tue 14-Apr-20 10:26:12

This is really no different to my normal life. I live on a narrow boat...so peaceful...just bobbing about with visiting ducks and geese. I only see people when I shop. I miss my grandchildren though. Can't wait to give them all a big hug. Bird song is amazing....the birds are definitely singing more.

threexnanny Tue 14-Apr-20 10:26:30

I agree there are plus points in the situation, and I am not bored as I enjoy gardening, craft work , reading etc. but the negatives are so heavy that I find it difficult to appreciate the positives.

Txquiltz Tue 14-Apr-20 10:27:12

I do miss seeing my GC almost daily when they got out of school. However, I do enjoy so few demands on time. Originally, I feared all I would do would be watch tv, but that did not last. I enjoy communicating with friends that live far away by Facebook (I finally learned how to use it). When this ends, I hope I will have learned from the experiences.

Happiyogi Tue 14-Apr-20 10:27:13

polnan, I'm so sorry to read about your recent bereavement. That must be particularly difficult to adjust to, in the current circumstances. I hope you will find company and support online for now. Sending you flowers flowers

Frannytoo Tue 14-Apr-20 10:28:30

We are also lucky and have a compact comfortable house with small south facing garden. The weather in London has been fantastic so lunch outside has been possible.
It is so quiet and I have been writing a daily diary which encourages me to view many things in a different way.

Teacheranne Tue 14-Apr-20 10:29:50

Well, I hate this lockdown! Living on my own I miss all my friends and the social events I used to go to. I don't like housework, gardening is a struggle for me physically and there is only so much crochet or crafting I can do!

I'm frustrated at the continuing food shortages, where is all the flour? I can't even pass my time baking.

So, I'm bored and longing for it to be over.

undecided Tue 14-Apr-20 10:30:34

Yes, I am mostly enjoying the lockdown - only thing is how will I adjust when it gets back to normal??? I never noticed the traffic or noise till now when there is non and it is so peaceful. Except when I turn on the news and that really is so depressing and no let up even now - that brings me back to earth. All those poor innocent people, it does make me wonder what the chances of me getting it eventually even with self isolating.

luluaugust Tue 14-Apr-20 10:33:17

I can't say I'm loving it but certainly enjoying getting things done around the house, sitting in the garden, actually cooking from scratch and so on. I miss seeing the family and friends but plenty of FaceTime etc. and looking forward to lots of hugs one day. I see the Government is now beginning to worry that we have complied too well and I do think a lot of people are going to have trouble getting going again specially if they have always had long journeys to work. I don't envy some mums having to get children back to school or teachers trying to deal with children used to doing their own thing.

oscaro11 Tue 14-Apr-20 10:36:29

I count my blessings. I have a lovely large garden to enjoy every day, potter about doing jobs we all put off like sorting out wardrobes, repotting houseplants etc. Worry for my two daughters both of whom are working from their homes and living in small flats. They do go out for a short walk every day for their own mental health. For my husband and myself, both retired, we are enjoying the sound of the birds every day, the lack of noisy traffic in the suburb where we live and thanking heaven we remain healthy. We know we are lucky.

kwest Tue 14-Apr-20 10:36:57

More relaxed than we have felt in years. Feel a bit guilty really but, virus excluded obviously, it feels a bit like a precious gift to have time to spend with my husband.

NannaDandy Tue 14-Apr-20 10:37:48

It’s a terrible thing that everyone’s going through especially those who have lost loved ones, but yes I’m enjoying being isolated & because I’m high risk I’m on week 5 of 12. We moved last August from a large town where we only had a back yard but now live in the country & 3 miles from the sea. For the 1st time in 28 years we have a garden, palm trees, wonderful neighbours & beautiful surroundings. Ive not had chance to appreciate our new home as I’m always dashing around either working or picking up grandchildren (1hr round trip drive) and its lovely to actually sit back & take it all in. So yes, after all this, I’m definitely going to reassess my day to day activities & pull back a bit x

Tiggersuki Tue 14-Apr-20 10:41:22

Despite living in a seaside holiday area there is less traffic , apart from last Thursday when I think regardless of advice many second home owners arrived, BUT I HATE IT.
I cannot go for a drive to the beach, cannot go in the sea for a surf or swim, all my Pilates ans Yoga is online, I do not see bookclubbers or my knitting group.
I haven't seen my grandson who should have been on holiday here over Easter and my son struggles working from home with a bored 5 year old who doesn't understand what is going on.
I want to SEE PEOPLE AND HUG THEM!!!!!

JaneRn Tue 14-Apr-20 10:44:49

I agree with everyone who has pointed out the joys of being at home alone, although not happy about people who do not have a garden to escape to.
Perhaps the thought we should all remember is "Count your blessings" and be grateful for what you have got, not pine for something which is not possible at present.

Nannapat1 Tue 14-Apr-20 10:45:46

No, I'm not. Can't see my family, husband and one daughter can't go to work, daughter furloughed and facing financial difficulty. I'm afraid to go too far for a walk, in case I'm stopped and questioned, while key workers continue to go to work, many in conditions where social distancing is impossible. I could go on. Not much to celebrate.