Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Is it just me?

(162 Posts)
Parky Tue 14-Apr-20 08:42:36

Am I the only one who, apart from concern for others, is enjoying the lockdown? We live in a town which is usually always noisy with traffic and chatter, but now on my daily exercise walk I can hear all the birds singing and find peace and quiet.

I'm a bit deaf and have trouble hearing usually, and certainly never hear bird song in our noisy society.

Hetty58 Wed 15-Apr-20 07:51:57

Polnan, you need to change your attitude!

I lost my loved one on 11th March (already I was isolating) no funeral, no hugs or comfort. An awful lot of crying. I will manage though. I know I'm strong.

We can still get out for a long walk every day. I'd thoroughly recommend that, for those who are able. Time spent outside, in a garden, on a balcony, is nearly as good.

Be very kind to yourself and enjoy treats. Do one thing every day for 'progress', garden, clean a window, cook, clean, fix or make something, anything really, just for an hour.

Make plans and lists for 'after' and view this as a phase (that's all it is), a delay until life returns to some version of normality.

Lucca Wed 15-Apr-20 07:59:09

“You need to change your attitude”

A bit unkind I’d say. Just because you are coping doesn’t mean others can.

Parky Wed 15-Apr-20 08:12:00

So nice to hear that people are making the best of things. I would like to add that we do not have a garden, just a small back yard, but the pleasure of walking the streets and enjoying other people's gardens gives me joy. Yes tragedy is here as well, our daughter's colleague has died of covid and has been buried without a proper send off.

Bad things happen all the time, but so do good. Our police have reported fewer car accidents and crime, so I'm going to take pleasure in what I have.

Shropshirelass Wed 15-Apr-20 09:02:35

Yes. After four years of looking after elderly parents, driving miles and being away from home for weeks or months I am loving being at home. Sadly I lost my Dad a year ago and Mum has moved into a care home nearer to me. She is safe and well. I am sorting out my veggie garden and greenhouse. Seed planting starts in earnest tomorrow and I shall look forward to eating the fruits of my labours. I am also going to pick up some of my hobbies. I am very aware that I am very lucky to live where I do and that life is intolerable for some. Today is another glorious day, I shall embrace it.

BluePizzaWalking Wed 15-Apr-20 10:00:34

I did enjoy it for a bit, felt relaxing and like being on holiday. But also like with holidays I've now got bored with it! I have been going out for a daily walk and we are lucky to have some green spaces to walk in but I'm now fed up with them, I want to walk somewhere different. I have done a few jobs around the house but everything seems pretty pointless. Why tidy the house no one will be coming in. I ve done some gardening but now I need plants and compost and the garden centres are closed. I only retired in January and was keeping very busy child minding my grandson 2 days a week and visiting my mum in a care home 3 times a week, spending time at my gym meeting up with friends and booking lots of long weekends away with my husband. All now not possible. I like to plan and have things to look forward to. So I am finding lock down increasingly frustrating and depressing. Each day is getting harder to motivate myself and stay positive. I am trying to find things, like hearing the birdsong better, enjoying the sunshine, embracing social media and video calls, my present good health, to be grateful for and trying to live in the present moment.

Gwiz5 Wed 15-Apr-20 10:37:43

I am doing my best to make the most of it. I would usually do front line work but have been ill for months so was furloughed. I’m using this time to focus on getting well , getting fit, cooking different things and de cluttering my life. Enjoying the garden and taking the elderly neighbours dog for a daily walk Hardest things are missing my kids and grandson. My husband still works so I at least have the house to myself most days. The cat is still happy to have the attention.

Hetty58 Wed 15-Apr-20 11:16:57

Lucca, unkind perhaps - but far more helpful than sympathy. If we can't change our circumstances, we can always change our way of thinking.

Lucca Wed 15-Apr-20 11:29:23

hetty in an ideal world yes and people have been saying this for centuries, (Serenity Prayer for example) so
nothing new there. However it is easier said than done and I believe under some circumstances people should be allowed to grieve, to be sad, angry etc and supported through that phase.

Franbern Wed 15-Apr-20 11:29:39

I am most definitely NOT enjoying it. Okay, it has not impacted too much on me. Except for having to cancel my social trips daily to U3A. I have a lovely flat, a large sun-drenched balcony, my income is not impacted.
Yes, if it was my decision NOT to go out and see people, then it would be fine. I just hate not being in charge of my own life.
I am also fortunate that all my children and g.children live in nice houses with gardens, all my children are working from home, so no loss of income.
BUT.......I find myself virtually having nightmares about so many families trying to get through this is high rise flats, with children and young people. Dread to think what is happening amongst teenagers in the so-called sink estates where there has always been a strong presence of 'drug Barons'.
Seriously worry about all those in prison, both staff and inmates and those is Detention Centres.
Very worried as to what we will eventually come out of this into, there will be so much austerity, public services cut back to the minimum. Our High Streets even more devastated as so many small shops and business's will have ceased being able to trade.
Would happily exchange all the wonderful bird song, for hearing school children playing together in the playground.
All the traffic quiet (although do notice that seems to have built back up considerably), for hospitals and doctors surgeries, etc to be back to how they were.
All the laziness of having nothing or little to do each day to replaced by being able to get together, touch and cuddle my family and friends.
So, Yes, I am getting through this, but think we are reaqlly heading towards a far worse nightmare in the months/years ahead.

Lucca Wed 15-Apr-20 11:33:02

Good post franbern

Ellie Anne Wed 15-Apr-20 19:04:27

Yes franbern you are so right. Many businesses will never recover and the heartbreak in many families will last for ever. It will also take a toll on many peoples ‘ mental health.