Is it just me?

Parky Tue 14-Apr-20 08:42:36

Am I the only one who, apart from concern for others, is enjoying the lockdown? We live in a town which is usually always noisy with traffic and chatter, but now on my daily exercise walk I can hear all the birds singing and find peace and quiet.

I'm a bit deaf and have trouble hearing usually, and certainly never hear bird song in our noisy society.

Hetty58 Tue 14-Apr-20 08:56:33

I'm appreciating the loss of traffic and aircraft, the peace and quiet, the improved air quality, the absence of visitors - and the complete freedom to do what I like, when I like!

maryhoffman37 Tue 14-Apr-20 09:56:57

We are so fortunate in having a big house and garden and, since we have made a weekly timetable, we are rather enjoying it. We like cooking food from scratch every day and have always done that. But we never forget those living in cramped conditions without outside space and those who don't know how to cook or are finding it difficult to get food or who have lost income or who are less blessed in their choice of life companion.

seadragon Tue 14-Apr-20 09:58:25

I am finding many things to enjoy during the lockdown...not least all the tasks I have been putting off such as sorting out the loft....many treasures and memories uncovered in the process...

Moggycuddler Tue 14-Apr-20 09:58:59

I am sort of enjoying it, and the excuse not to go into town and do some of the usual things. But also worried about what will happen in the months ahead. And about me and my family getting it when we do have to go out.

lostinfrance Tue 14-Apr-20 09:59:08

I would enjoy it more if it wasn't impacting upon our business. Ineligible for government support so I hope it's back to normal pretty soon.

Other than that, yes. I quite like not having to rush around and be places.

MarieEliza Tue 14-Apr-20 09:59:30

Yes, we usually have cars double parked on our road, now it’s empty. Also we enjoy birdsong and receiving kind offers of shopping from our neighbours. The virus has changed attitudes in the wider family and made them re evaluate their priorities

Barmeyoldbat Tue 14-Apr-20 10:00:30

I love it, its just quiet in town. Its a bit like being on holiday, just lazing around, going out now and again, complete relaxation.

Macgran43 Tue 14-Apr-20 10:00:42

It’s a much more relaxed lifestyle No clock watching. All clubs, meet ups and appointments cancelled. I do worry for my children and grandchildren however. A much bigger change in their lives.

Mambypamby Tue 14-Apr-20 10:02:01

Although I miss my grandchildren and feel for my mum who is on her own and bored (it is a relief not to have to constantly feel responsible for entertaining her) the extra time at home means I can do all the things I’ve been wanting to do but not had “time” or motivation. Started a vegetable plot, deep cleaned the house, tidied up the garden and shed, tended to my houseplants and got reacquainted with healthier portion sizes at mealtimes - shopping is at a premium now I’m trying to avoid shops. All in all, great time to take stock. People are more pleasant to each other when I’m taking my 10 min exercise walk and enjoying the feeling of less rushing around.

Anne9054 Tue 14-Apr-20 10:02:07

I too love watching and listening to the birds in the garden and on walks without the constant drone of vehicles in the background.

Also enjoying not having to socialise as I can struggle with that.

Like Mary I feel for those without outside space or struggling with reduced income/lack of ability to get food.

May everyone stay safe

grannygranby Tue 14-Apr-20 10:02:56

It is a bit like a holiday. I always work at home anyway. That hasn’t stopped. And so quiet. No drunks no parties beautiful weather not too hot so quite quiet for dog walks. but I am haunted by those trapped in environments where they are threatened with the virus and are helpless like in care homes. But at least that will be uncovered and the valuable people in our society will be recognised. A painful way for change but change will come. In the meantime a chance for nature to catch its breath. But the fear of us dying of breathlessness is terrifying.

WoodLane7 Tue 14-Apr-20 10:03:10

There are things I miss but actually I am enjoying the slower pace of life and I have never slept as well as I do now! It is just a tragedy about the high cost in human life and livelihoods for us to get to this point

jackie0 Tue 14-Apr-20 10:03:25

have been enjoying the tranquility of no traffic on roads and in the air. i seem to be able to see things with more detail and hear things i was unaware of before. that is a bonus.

the downside is not seeing my grandson and worrying a bit about getting food., as we have had to isolate.

Jeanlang Tue 14-Apr-20 10:04:30

Yes living all the peace and quiet. Love not going to work. If this is what retirement like bring it on. If only the government would give me my pension now I would be in heaven.

Craftycat Tue 14-Apr-20 10:05:40

No- DH is like a bear with a sore head as he actually misses working.
Consequently he is doing things he has put off for ages-like clearing the garage. Unfortunately a lot has been moved indoors 'for a little while' so we can't move.The dining room now looks like the garage did before he started!!
The tip is closed so I guess I will have this until he can get to the tip again. Luckily I don't mind eating from a plate on my lap.

halfpint1 Tue 14-Apr-20 10:05:47

I was enjoying the lockdown untill last night when the
President (France) announced another MONTH of it, I was
expecting 2 weeks more.

Today I feel really down and tearfull . Continuing this way of life suddenly feels very heavy. I haven't seen my family (4 adult children and grandchildren ) since mid March and apart from superficial chats with my neighbours ,the isolation is beginning to bite and I regard myself as a normally strong and self sufficient person.

Harmonygranny Tue 14-Apr-20 10:05:49

As others have said, there've been some positive aspects to the lockdown, but I'm haunted by the impact it must be having on families trapped in flats in inner cities, and pray it's over soon.

Jaycee5 Tue 14-Apr-20 10:06:57

I like the quiet. The clearer air quality which I really notice here as there are a lot of busy roads nearby. I think that I am developing shopping anxiety but other than that on a personal level there are positives but it is hard to switch off and enjoy it without feeling guilty.
I haven't been taking walks but I am going to have to start. It is possible to go out here without being close to anyone.

polnan Tue 14-Apr-20 10:07:35

YES!!!!!! Let me out!

Rosina Tue 14-Apr-20 10:07:42

We too are lucky to have a spacious house, a garden, and meadows nearby to fill our lungs with fresh air. I do think about those who are crowded into small homes without a door to open into a garden, or who are worried about income. The announcement of another three weeks has made my heart sink slightly; although we are happy enough and can cope, I am missing my children and grandchildren more than I can say. Used to seeing them, cuddling them and having time together they are now faces on a screen, and it just ain't the same! However, I count my blessings, and will continue to be grateful for the peace, quiet, and birdsong.

Hypno Tue 14-Apr-20 10:09:11

Big divide between those with gardens and those without...I am without now and really wish I was in the house and garden I had before lockdown ......

Maccyt1955 Tue 14-Apr-20 10:09:53

I agree with every poster for all the above reasons.
But yesterday the reality going forward really hit.

The idea of going out and about wearing face masks feels horrific, like something out of horror movie.
Constantly thinking about families cooped up together without access to a garden.

But yes...until yesterday...it did feel like a holiday.
Perhaps the lovely weather helped.

timetogo2016 Tue 14-Apr-20 10:10:29

I`m with you JeanLang.
Except for the poor souls who have died and those who are poorly.

polnan Tue 14-Apr-20 10:11:11

what I meant was YES, you are the only one, but reading these posts.. seems that I am the only one NOT ENJOYING IT!
I need people, I am recently ... husband recently died.. I am nt a widow, I am still a wife.. hence I hesitated..

so recently first time ever living on my own,, self isolated, according to the Government guidelines, reasonably healthy.. but due to recent....

not very good with doing anything, I NEED TO GET OUT