Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

No car washing?

(34 Posts)
Growing0ldDisgracefully Thu 16-Apr-20 11:04:25

I read on another forum that people have been told on a TV chat show they shouldn't wash their cars during lockdown.

I didn't watch the programne but am genuine puzzled as to why not? Does this mean we also shouldn't cut the grass, weed the garden, wash our windows or hang washing out? All of these things, including car washing, are things we do outside at home. Are all of them banned?

Did anyone else see the programne and if so, was there further detail which explains this? Did this apply to the UK or was it abroad?

harrigran Thu 16-Apr-20 19:40:05

I wouldn't wash the car or pressure wash the paths at present but that is a personal choice.

kircubbin2000 Tue 21-Apr-20 21:25:16

I think there is a serious lack of common sense at the moment. My friend ,who lives in the middle of nowhere, was worried she would not be able to drive 2 miles to the garage to get milk.I asked her who would see her or know as there are never any police about.Another friend would not go outside as she had already had her walk! I despair.

PamelaJ1 Tue 21-Apr-20 21:41:29

GrowingoldDisgracefull, you can buy paint now. B&q click and collect.

vampirequeen Tue 21-Apr-20 21:41:31

We wash our car regularly as the Sahara keeps depositing itself on it and the birds keep using it for target practise.

Coolgran65 Tue 21-Apr-20 22:24:10

Like Monica, my car is rarely washed. I only do about 1k miles each year, or just less. we use dh's car mainly. My little Yaris sits on the drive and must cause heartache to my lovely ndn who washes his car every other evening.
When I say my car is washed rarely it gets done each year before it's MOT. It was due for MOT last month which of course was cancelled. Thing is, it never looks bad.
I might just wash it tomorrow. I'm feeling guilty.

Franbern Wed 22-Apr-20 12:37:25

harrigran - why would you not clean your patio/path or your car at present? Love to know your reasons.

Chestnut Wed 22-Apr-20 12:38:27

I can't see how washing your car has anything to do with the virus or contamination. Even if your car is in the street, why shouldn't you wash it? Anyone walking by can cross the road or stay at a distance. I was very surprised to hear Dr Hilary saying you can't wash your car, as I'm not sure that is even mentioned in 'the rules' at all.

harrigran Wed 22-Apr-20 15:12:14

Franbern, the reason is very basic. Pressure washing the ground or car causes particles to rise into the air and you will be inhaling the droplets. Not corona virus in particular but anything that can compromise your immune system and may make you more liable to catch it.