Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

No car washing?

(33 Posts)
Growing0ldDisgracefully Thu 16-Apr-20 11:04:25

I read on another forum that people have been told on a TV chat show they shouldn't wash their cars during lockdown.

I didn't watch the programne but am genuine puzzled as to why not? Does this mean we also shouldn't cut the grass, weed the garden, wash our windows or hang washing out? All of these things, including car washing, are things we do outside at home. Are all of them banned?

Did anyone else see the programne and if so, was there further detail which explains this? Did this apply to the UK or was it abroad?

GagaJo Thu 16-Apr-20 11:23:42

Pfft. My car is in my back driveway. I had already thought on a sunny day I'd wash it with grandson. He's ADORE it.

Tangerine Thu 16-Apr-20 11:39:31

I don't understand why you can't wash a car if it's on your driveway. Is it that they don't want you to wash cars that are standing on the road?

I am still cutting my grass which is within my back garden and have never heard any suggestion that I should stop doing so.

I'd be interested to learn other Gransnetters' views.

GrannySomerset Thu 16-Apr-20 11:42:46

Unless there is a water shortage this sounds like someone gold plating the ‘stay home’ order. Why on earth would you not wash the car? Obviously staffed car washes are out but on your own drive?

MamaCaz Thu 16-Apr-20 11:43:30

I wouldn't take much notice of anything said on a TV chat show!

sunseeker Thu 16-Apr-20 12:20:49

I gather this was said by Dr. Hilary Jones - Piers Morgan asked if he could wash his car as he uses it for work. Dr. Jones replied that as people are not using their cars it is not considered necessary - if they have to use their car for work then obviously the windscreen needs to be kept clear. I don't think there is a rule that you can't wash your car.

grandMattie Thu 16-Apr-20 12:24:54

I'm finding interesting how paolarised people are becoming on the "stay at home" stuff amongst other things.
Personally, if it is within your own boundaries, surely you can sunbathe, play games, wash your car, etc., without any policing...

Growing0ldDisgracefully Thu 16-Apr-20 12:26:43

I very rarely watch these shows either and only heard this through social media, so was just wondering if there had been other information or comments which clarified. It was apparently a doctor who made the pronouncement. It was one of the first things I did when the lockdown was announced, as I knew it would stay clean as I wouldn't be using it! Although my car wasn't on the drive, it is literally a few foot in from my front door to the kerbside, so I looked on that as being at home. The same day I cut the grass on my tiny front lawn,(it needs doing again now), and in both cleaning the car and cutting the grass, stepped back if anyone was passing in the street. So, if it is about not doing anything at the front of your property, how is that different from walking down road and keeping away from others using the same street?

ninathenana Thu 16-Apr-20 12:34:38

DH washed our car on our driveway yesterday. I cannot think of any reason why you should not do this.
Garden maintenance companies are still working. You do not need to cine into contact with a client if your working in their garden. So again no reason why you can't mow your lawn or weed flower beds. Does that not cone under permitted exercise anyway.

vampirequeen Thu 16-Apr-20 12:37:36

We washed the car on the road this morning (we don't have a drive). No one was in the street. I can't see the problem. The Sahara had dropped on it again overnight so we had to do it.

MawB Thu 16-Apr-20 12:38:47

Isn’t there a danger that we will stop taking any notice of these pronouncements which amount to overkill
Too many pundits seem to be making it up as they go along.
Why not wash your car ? Questioning that, you feel you could question some of the other draconian measures. Even some police forces are admitting now that their “interpretation” of government advice has been over-zealous.
If my DD and SIL stuck in their tiny 2 up 2 down London terraced house want to take their 1 year old to the park they (ostensibly) are not allowed to sit on the grass for a few minutes when they get there . They are being very good about observing all the guidelines but rather like those people walking in the Peak District miles (literally) from anybody - surely there is room for common sense?

Chestnut Thu 16-Apr-20 12:42:54

I can't see why you shouldn't wash your car on your own property. And are mechanical car washes still open? No reason why you shouldn't go into one of those if you are buying petrol for work. It involves no human contact except to pay which is done electronically same as any purchase.

MamaCaz Thu 16-Apr-20 13:07:20

Washing a car can be a good form of exercise, so should be recommended as long as social distancing is observed!

Maggiemaybe Thu 16-Apr-20 13:10:46

I think we’d rather grab the excuse to justify not washing the car. grin

paddyanne Thu 16-Apr-20 13:15:20

My OH has to stay busy ,he gets cabin fever otherwise and his mood drops ,then he stresses about anything and everything.Its what caused his heart attacks .We have two cars and a van on our drive ,he has washed them and cleaned them inside shampooed the seats and checked for any minor faults that he can fix.He's weeded ,cut grass, trimmed trees now in the process of demolishing some stone steps with a masonry drill and lifting block paving.He's relaxed at the end of the day ,and tired.His mental health depends of on him keeping himself busy ,people need to be sensible and non judgemental

HootyMcOwlface Thu 16-Apr-20 13:22:59

Guilty your honour. You got me bang to rights, best lock me up! I washed my car a couple of days ago, and cut my lawn last week. I could do with mowing it again. Now, where did I put that balaclava?

M0nica Thu 16-Apr-20 13:24:21

I am amazed that anyone washes their car anyway. Mine gets a wash once a year when it has its annual Gold Service. Very occasionally when road conditions are really clarty, I take it through the carwash at the garage, but that is all.

Mind you this year, the week before the shutdown it had its Gold service and complete valeting (part of the service) then two days later went to the marque garage for a safety recall, who also gave it a complementary valeting. The car is stillr ecovering from the shock.

MiniMoon Thu 16-Apr-20 13:24:53

Everyone who is worried about washing their car, take a warning from my son. He wants to cut his hedge and asked if he could borrow his Dad's hedge trimmer and his pruners. He got into his car to come and get them while his partner did their shopping. His car wouldn't start. He had left it too long and now the battery is flat. They used his partner's car, but now he has the problem of getting his started.
He didn't think to go out and start it, and drive it up and down the road, to keep it ticking over.

Growing0ldDisgracefully Thu 16-Apr-20 13:30:46

Exactly Mawb. And agree with Paddyanne, some people will find it essential to have activities to occupy them. This does seem to come under the overkill category which some Police forces were practicing. I'll make the flippant comment that we can't just be expected to sit at home and watch the paint dry - because we can't buy the paint in the first place! Nor live on bread and water because of judgements being made on what we should and shouldn't buy to eat! Lockdown grumble over!

GrannyGravy13 Thu 16-Apr-20 13:36:09

Haven't washed a car since 1985, Mr.GG pointed out that I had left a 6" line unwashed along the roof, I pointed out that I was 6 months pregnant, 5'2" and although I was standing on a set of small steps I still couldn't reach!!!!!

I vowed then that I would never ever attempt to wash his or my car again, and I have stuck to that vow!!!!

(Like Monica my car had its first full service beginning of March which included a full valet so it is pristine on the inside whilst gathering dust on the outside)

ninathenana Thu 16-Apr-20 15:58:45

M0nica We live on a main road opposite the sea and have a telegraph pole at the end of our short drive. If DH didn't clean it fairly regularly we wouldn't be able to see the paint work.
Is it not advisable to clean and polish your car to preserve the paint work.

ninathenana Thu 16-Apr-20 16:00:06

# the telegraph pole is a perch for the seagulls.

Ohmother Thu 16-Apr-20 16:18:09

Are some people getting virus mixed up with drowt?

M0nica Thu 16-Apr-20 16:26:09

ninathenana, In that situation I would be washing regularly. My car currently has a garage, which I use for it, which helps, but I have never been a car nurturer, even when I parked on the road as I had no garage.

Minimoon, as his partner has a car, all that is needed is a pair of jump leads. I always have a pair in the boot, you never know when they come in useful.

SuzannahM Thu 16-Apr-20 16:37:00

We were just saying yesterday that it was like a throwback to the 1970s round here over the last week.

Almost every car in our road was washed - in a road where no one ever washes a car (they take them to the car wash I assume). Except ours, which is still a bit mucky grin