Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

No car washing?

(33 Posts)
Growing0ldDisgracefully Thu 16-Apr-20 12:26:43

I very rarely watch these shows either and only heard this through social media, so was just wondering if there had been other information or comments which clarified. It was apparently a doctor who made the pronouncement. It was one of the first things I did when the lockdown was announced, as I knew it would stay clean as I wouldn't be using it! Although my car wasn't on the drive, it is literally a few foot in from my front door to the kerbside, so I looked on that as being at home. The same day I cut the grass on my tiny front lawn,(it needs doing again now), and in both cleaning the car and cutting the grass, stepped back if anyone was passing in the street. So, if it is about not doing anything at the front of your property, how is that different from walking down road and keeping away from others using the same street?

grandMattie Thu 16-Apr-20 12:24:54

I'm finding interesting how paolarised people are becoming on the "stay at home" stuff amongst other things.
Personally, if it is within your own boundaries, surely you can sunbathe, play games, wash your car, etc., without any policing...

sunseeker Thu 16-Apr-20 12:20:49

I gather this was said by Dr. Hilary Jones - Piers Morgan asked if he could wash his car as he uses it for work. Dr. Jones replied that as people are not using their cars it is not considered necessary - if they have to use their car for work then obviously the windscreen needs to be kept clear. I don't think there is a rule that you can't wash your car.

MamaCaz Thu 16-Apr-20 11:43:30

I wouldn't take much notice of anything said on a TV chat show!

GrannySomerset Thu 16-Apr-20 11:42:46

Unless there is a water shortage this sounds like someone gold plating the ‘stay home’ order. Why on earth would you not wash the car? Obviously staffed car washes are out but on your own drive?

Tangerine Thu 16-Apr-20 11:39:31

I don't understand why you can't wash a car if it's on your driveway. Is it that they don't want you to wash cars that are standing on the road?

I am still cutting my grass which is within my back garden and have never heard any suggestion that I should stop doing so.

I'd be interested to learn other Gransnetters' views.

GagaJo Thu 16-Apr-20 11:23:42

Pfft. My car is in my back driveway. I had already thought on a sunny day I'd wash it with grandson. He's ADORE it.

Growing0ldDisgracefully Thu 16-Apr-20 11:04:25

I read on another forum that people have been told on a TV chat show they shouldn't wash their cars during lockdown.

I didn't watch the programne but am genuine puzzled as to why not? Does this mean we also shouldn't cut the grass, weed the garden, wash our windows or hang washing out? All of these things, including car washing, are things we do outside at home. Are all of them banned?

Did anyone else see the programne and if so, was there further detail which explains this? Did this apply to the UK or was it abroad?