Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Do you find that you fall frequently?

(28 Posts)
FlyingHandbag Sun 19-Apr-20 22:42:16

Hello Lovely People,
I have chronic pain and I find that I fall very very frequently and usually drop my handbag (hence my usernamegrin). I remember on one occasion I was at the local shopping complex with friends and I was laden with bags plus my handbag when I lost my balance on the way back to the car and dropped all my bags and hurt my legs. My friends had to put everything back in my bags as I was absolutely horrified at falling like some old dear! I was absolutely drenched with water from the pavement and there was wet leaves stuck to my derrière! This was last year but it certainly wasn’t an isolated incident, but it’s the best example. Am I officially an old dear?

agnurse Mon 20-Apr-20 21:33:25

A few tips to help prevent falls and injuries:

1. Eat well. Make sure you're getting enough vitamin D, calcium, and protein. This may help reduce your risk of injury from a fall.

2. Ensure that you're drinking enough water. As we age, our sense of thirst diminishes. This increases the risk of dehydration.

3. Exercise. Exercise helps reduce the risk of falls by strengthening muscles and improving balance.

4. If you're on medication, especially medications that affect your blood pressure or that can cause drowsiness or dizziness, be VERY careful when you stand up. Take it slowly.

5. Remove tripping hazards, such as throw rugs, small toys, and cords from your floor.

6. Make sure you have good footwear. You may need to wear good quality slippers in the house. Your shoes should fit well and should not have smooth soles.

7. Take good care of your feet.

8. Consider whether you might need to install grab bars in your bathroom. At the very least, you'll want a good bath mat that you can put on the floor in front of the tub, and a no-slip mat inside the tub. The bathroom is a common area for falls.

9. Take your time! Being in a hurry can increase your risk for a fall.

10. Make sure you use your glasses and/or your hearing aids if you need them. This ensures that you know what's going on around you.

FlyingHandbag Tue 21-Apr-20 11:08:48

Thanks Agnurse you have been very helpful. Also thanks Alexa for your best wishes!flowers for you both (and everyone else of course!)