Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Premature baby advice wanted

(35 Posts)
Doves Fri 24-Apr-20 08:57:48

Good morning all, My daughter had a baby on Monday morning she weighed 5lbs and was allowed home that afternoon. Daughter has been told she has to feed granddaughter every two hours. Breastfeeding is successful but baby screams until she is sick if she is put in the cot or handed to husband, so daughter is holding her all the time, both parents are now suffering from lack of sleep and tearful. I've suggested rocking, putting in buggy and rocking, getting a heartbeat app, etc. When the baby is asleep they are waking her after two hours because they have been told she must be fed every two hours. They live 7 hours drive away from me so impossible to get to help them. Any advice would be gratefully received.

GrannyLaine Fri 24-Apr-20 15:09:29

NotSpaghetti yes you're absolutely right about the water. But at this stage if she's in the UK she will be supported by the Community Midwifery Team, including breastfeeding support, particularly with such a small/ prem baby. LaLeche League is also extremely good for breastfeeding support and is a free service. But the feeding sounds fine, its just that the parents are shell shocked!

Chardy Fri 24-Apr-20 16:39:32

DGD was prem and 5lbs. She was a monster baby in neonatal ICU but obviously not as developed as a 5lb full term baby.
Mums expressed milk (they'd gone home by then), and it was topped up with formula (I assumed special formula). So all the babies were using a bottle, and some bottle and breast.
(I'm a bit of a breast milk obsessive, but I've never heard anyone say not to express)

GrannyLaine Fri 24-Apr-20 16:56:04

Chardy, this baby is only 4 days old. There is no indication to express at this early stage for the reasons it has been advised upthread. Lactation as you probably know very well is a biofeedback loop and the right amount of milk is produced for the baby in response to that baby's suckling. At 4 days the milk is generally just coming on. Further along then expressing can be great if it's necessary. Just not at this stage for this baby.

NotSpaghetti Fri 24-Apr-20 18:32:48

GrannyLaine you are right in an ideal world but sadly lots of local midwifery teams are really stretched.
Two of my grandchildren born in the last 18 months (one first one second baby) were ‘difficult’ feeders. One had been in NICU and tube fed there and the mum had no midwifery support to speak of at home. I think that without La Leche for her and the Independent Lactation Consultant for the other, even with great family support both would have struggled no end.
It does really sound like Dove’s grandchild is doing well though and as you say - the parents are “shell shocked”.

Sometimes we just need to know what’s normal - and often it’s better to hear it from someone outside our immediate family.
Good luck to you all.

GrannyLaine Fri 24-Apr-20 19:45:02

I agree NotSpaghetti that support can be patchy, but it IS there and often it's a question of knowing who to contact for support. One of my daughters fed her first with no issues at all, but number 2 and number 3 were problematic and she received a great deal of high quality support. I belong to a local LLL Facebook group and I am in awe of the quality of support they offer

SueDonim Fri 24-Apr-20 20:14:55

Congratulations on the new baby! flowers

A babymoon might help with this little one. I did it with my younger two and it really helps with getting the milk supply going. Basically, the mum settles comfortably in bed with all she needs around her including a drink, magazines, radio, phone, if she wishes. Dad can look after the house and produce meals and other creature comforts.

Then have the baby very close by and feed her every time she so much as squeaks, even if it’s only 15 minutes since the last feed. In between times, get as much sleep in as possible. After doing this for 48 hours, I found the amount of milk I was producing had increased noticeably and the baby was much more settled.

You can do it any time, not just with a newborn, if you think their appetite has suddenly increased,

emmasnan Fri 24-Apr-20 20:54:57

There's a charity called Cry-sis which offers advice to parents of crying unsettled babies. www.cry-sis.org.uk The new parents might find it useful.

ValerieF Sat 25-Apr-20 19:44:36

I don't understand all the concern? Baby is FOUR days old? What is the problem with mum holding and feeding her every two hours or whenever she needs it? what else is mum doing? If she was four months old I could understand why you may be concerned but 4 days? Barely time for milk to come in even. Lack of sleep? after 4 days? Some mums have lack of sleep for 4 years!

Starblaze Sat 25-Apr-20 20:43:07

Oh goodness I missed 4 days, yes constant feeding until milk comes in. It's exhausting but passes