Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Supermarket items out of stock

(141 Posts)
Stoker48 Fri 15-May-20 07:45:10

After the initial panic, it’s very reassuring that most items are readily available. I live on my own and am quite minimal in my needs, so no complaints from me.
I’ve had the same breakfast for twenty years ( apart from Holidays) and have recently run out. I’m a Kellogg’s Fruit and Fibre addict and there’s not a box to be found!!
Yes, there are the own brand cereals but I’ve never found one that comes anywhere near the branded product.
Anyone else missing their favorite items?
This is certainly not a moan, just an observation, by enlarge plenty of items in the shops and queues not too long as a rule.
Cheers, all. Beautiful morning here x

amymorris01 Mon 18-May-20 06:50:15

Good morning. Has anyone else noticed that the prices have gone up in the supermarkets in the last few weeks. I noticed 10 fishfingers were £4.95 in asda or was I dreaming. I think the supermarkets are doing a great job staying open but they are a bit cheeky if this is true. Some people have less money at the moment and supermarket profits have gone up a lot.

Maggiemaybe Mon 18-May-20 08:01:32

I’ve just added 30 cod fillet fish fingers to my Sainsburys order for a fiver, amymorris01, and they had 10 minced cod ones for as little as 69p, so I’d be surprised if Asda’s were so dear.

I haven’t noticed any out of the ordinary price increases, but there are fewer lines available from Sainsburys online and not as many special offers. Both perfectly understandable. It’s actually easier to shop when you’re not confronted with 200 varieties of sliced loaf.

Marydoll Mon 18-May-20 08:06:36

Late last night, I found a tin of condensed milk, left on my doorstep by a kind neighbour. ?
He has an ulterior motive. He knows I will make tablet for him and other neighbours with it.
Apparently it was sitting all alone on the shelf!

Maggiemaybe Mon 18-May-20 08:12:52

Oh, I love condensed milk, Marydoll. I can eat it from the tin by the spoonful, just like Nutella. Just as well I never buy it these days.

I’d love some tablet even more though. smile

Marydoll Mon 18-May-20 08:20:52

I had a stash of condensed milk to make tablet for my daughter's wedding, but of course, it couldn't go ahead. The stash is now gone!

I have been making tablet for my lovely neighbours, as they have been helping me with shopping. It's now run out!
All my neighbours and family are on the alert for it in the shops. It's liquid gold! ?

What I find really amusing, is that this particular neighbour is quite reserved and often avoids eye contact and scuttles inside the house if he see you

Maggiemaybe Mon 18-May-20 08:28:47

Ah, you’ve lured him out with your tablet, Marydoll. It’d take a strong man to resist, to be fair. grin

I’ve just checked, and condensed milk is showing as available on the Sainsburys site. I could add it to my order..... But for the sake of my teeth and hips I’d better not.

gillybob Mon 18-May-20 08:38:08

Still haven’t managed to get any flour . Not that I’m a huge baker but DH does like the occasional cheese scone .

gillybob Mon 18-May-20 08:39:01

Also does anyone know a quick/ easy way to make breadcrumbs to coat chicken ?

Marydoll Mon 18-May-20 09:00:01

To make by hand: Place dry bread in a sealed bag. Smash with a rolling pin to break into crumbs. Place in a resealable bag, and store in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.
If using fresh bread, place slices on a baking sheet and dry out slightly in a 300-degree-Fahrenheit oven for 15 minutes.

I usually add seasoning of my choice.

Hope this helps, Gilly.

Floradora9 Mon 18-May-20 10:30:21

Cabbage for my coleslaw local shop has had none and I have one ordered from Asda in my Click and Collect it cost £1.85 . Co-Op say it is lack of pickers.

gillybob Mon 18-May-20 10:42:02

Brilliant thank you Marydoll smile

annodomini Mon 18-May-20 10:44:51

Strong flour from Tesco today. I have just enough yeast to make three batches of bread/rolls. Planning to make some marmalade now as I have oranges and lemons plus one lime.

dianne2265 Tue 19-May-20 12:31:25

There is no shortage of flour apparently just a problem in packing it in the bags sizes we normally buy it in. A friend of mine approached a local baker who was quite happy to sell her some.

Carenza123 Wed 20-May-20 07:48:25

I have a feeling things are going to get scarcer. It may be that packaging is having an impact with foodstuffs and availability. I must admit, if I order something online, I will consciously check it’s place of origin and not buy it if it’s from China. Also I believe we should support our own country and Buy British! Unfortunately the people responsible for sourcing goods and food in this country are not bothered about this - it boils down in the majority of cases to PROFIT!

watermeadow Thu 21-May-20 21:09:22

I haven’t been shopping for 10 weeks so have no idea what a supermarket looks like during the plague. My daughter won’t let me shop so does it for me and every week there are one of two things she can’t get in Waitrose. Baked beans, frozen chicken for the animals, jam doughnuts, little gem lettuces, pesto, flour (of course), frozen spinach. Such random availability!
I did a big shop before lockdown and haven’t needed any toiletries or cleaning products since, I just keep running out of salad stuff and vegetables.